News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Ice water challenge

Started by golden eagle, August 14, 2014, 12:37:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

It's the phenomenon sweeping the country. Here's how it works: A person is doused with ice water and afterwards, challenge others to do the same within 24 hours. If the person who is challenge doesn't do it within 24, they have to make a donation to a charity.

In a way, I wanna do it; in another way, I don't.

hbelkins

I had one person call me out on Facebook for this challenge when it was a Big Thing. I didn't do it.

It's my decision to which charities I will donate or will not donate, and I certainly would not feel obligated to donate $100 (which I don't have to spare) to someone else's chosen charity simply because someone dared me to have a bucket of cold water dumped on my head and I chose not to.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

well, I suppose it beats getting shot for flashing your headlights in the wrong neighborhood.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Pete from Boston

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 14, 2014, 10:20:30 AM
well, I suppose it beats getting shot for flashing your headlights in the wrong neighborhood.

False.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/gangs/lightsout.asp

agentsteel53

Quote from: Pete from Boston on August 14, 2014, 11:05:37 AM

False.

oh, I know it's false.  I just went with "compare stupid meme to even stupider meme".

would "Benghazi" been better for the facebook moron crowd?

jake@aaroads.com

Zeffy

No one is going to force me to donate to any charity because I didn't pour a bucket of freezing cold ice water on my head. What the fuck kind of shit do people come up with these days? Granted, it's better than some of the "challenges" teenagers have come up with, including the "cinnamon challenge", the "fire challenge", the "let's drink hand sanitizer cause we can get a buzz" sensation, etc.

It's like shaving your head for cancer support - I don't care if everyone else in the world did it, I'm not doing anything I don't want to do and you aren't making me either.

Related, apparently Chris Christie and Cory Booker thought the ice bucket challenge was a good thing to do.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

spooky

Quote from: hbelkins on August 14, 2014, 10:16:13 AM
I had one person call me out on Facebook for this challenge when it was a Big Thing. I didn't do it.

It's my decision to which charities I will donate or will not donate, and I certainly would not feel obligated to donate $100 (which I don't have to spare) to someone else's chosen charity simply because someone dared me to have a bucket of cold water dumped on my head and I chose not to.

yes, this.

Kudos though to whoever came up with this and has done a remarkable job increasing both awareness and donations for ALS research.

spooky

Quote from: Zeffy on August 14, 2014, 11:47:20 AM
Related, apparently Chris Christie and Cory Booker thought the ice bucket challenge was a good thing to do.

I don't think you can be a public figure and ignore this trend.

Personally, if the time comes when someone "challenges" me, I will simply ignore it. My wife did it yesterday and knew enough not to challenge me.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Zeffy on August 14, 2014, 11:47:20 AMthe "cinnamon challenge", the "fire challenge", the "let's drink hand sanitizer cause we can get a buzz" sensation, etc.

don't forget butt-chugging. 

jake@aaroads.com

1995hoo

Sounds to me like a chain letter. Nothing forces anyone to forward a chain letter. Nothing is "forcing" anyone to donate money if you decline a challenge, either, unless you specifically sign a contract saying you'll participate and will pay a penalty if you back out.

Regarding the whole idea of dumping ice water over someone, it sounds pretty similar to the "Gatorade shower." Speaking of which, some people have theorized that former Redskins coach George Allen's terminal illness may have been caused, in part, by having a Gatorade bucket full of ice water dumped over him after a win on a cold night when he was 72 years old. (His son, the former governor of Virginia, doesn't think the incident caused the illness.)

Many of us here in DC miss former MASN sideline reporter Kristina Akra because the Nationals' players always managed to include her in the Gatorade showers in 2012....

The following year, her less attractive successor got a few as well. But this year, the sideline reporter is male.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

6a

I think it's dumb as hell but if you're going to do it, do it right.

golden eagle

This seems to be the "in" thing now with all kinds of celebrities doing it.

adventurernumber1

On Instagram it is everywhere. It's only a matter of time before I get nominated  :-o  :-D

Btw if any of you want to follow me I am _davidcarson
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

corco

I have no friends and plan to keep it that way until this blows over

cjk374

False.

This crap is still going around?  Seriously?  They were spreading this crap around over 20 years ago.  :eyebrow:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

freebrickproductions

Well, the Ice Water challenge is certainly better than that strangling oneself to get high thing that was going on a couple of years back...
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Brandon

Quote from: cjk374 on August 20, 2014, 11:08:57 PM

False.

This crap is still going around?  Seriously?  They were spreading this crap around over 20 years ago.  :eyebrow:

Urban legends never die.  They just morph into even lamer urban legends.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

bing101

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 14, 2014, 11:59:24 AM
Sounds to me like a chain letter. Nothing forces anyone to forward a chain letter. Nothing is "forcing" anyone to donate money if you decline a challenge, either, unless you specifically sign a contract saying you'll participate and will pay a penalty if you back out.

Regarding the whole idea of dumping ice water over someone, it sounds pretty similar to the "Gatorade shower." Speaking of which, some people have theorized that former Redskins coach George Allen's terminal illness may have been caused, in part, by having a Gatorade bucket full of ice water dumped over him after a win on a cold night when he was 72 years old. (His son, the former governor of Virginia, doesn't think the incident caused the illness.)

Didn't the NFL start the Ice bucket challenge or Gatorade challenge in one of the Super Bowl's where it was the NFL coach getting splashed with ice water or gatorade? I didn't think ALS group came up with this idea. I thought it was the NCAA Football or NFL that came up with this challenge.

roadman

Quote from: spooky on August 14, 2014, 11:51:06 AM
I don't think you can be a public figure and ignore this trend.

Come Election Day, I'll have to remember to not vote for people who feel the need to do something just becuase it's a trend on Twitter.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

formulanone

Quote from: Brandon on August 21, 2014, 09:32:02 AM
Quote from: cjk374 on August 20, 2014, 11:08:57 PM

False.

Urban legends never die.  They just morph into even lamer urban legends.

Thanks to new arrivals to the Internet each day (or just discovered Facebook, but not critical thinking skills), urban legends rarely go away. While we're at it, they've probably spread to rural communities as well, so maybe they need a new name...

Maybe I'm missing something, but it sounds to me that famous folks are just grandstanding in front of the camera in lieu of a donation towards the cause. But I guess it spreads awareness, right? ...Maybe?

In any case, if you're an ordinary joe of no public standing, nobody will really care one way or another.

PColumbus73

I have no interest in the Ice Bucket Challenge, it's just a fad like all the others.

golden eagle

Quote from: bing101 on August 21, 2014, 10:54:06 AM
Didn't the NFL start the Ice bucket challenge or Gatorade challenge in one of the Super Bowl's where it was the NFL coach getting splashed with ice water or gatorade? I didn't think ALS group came up with this idea. I thought it wad the NCAA Football or NFL that came up with this challenge.

I guess you could say that, but the giving the coach a Gatorade bath only happened after the team won a big game or championship.

Billy F 1988

Quote from: PColumbus73 on August 21, 2014, 06:14:14 PM
I have no interest in the Ice Bucket Challenge, it's just a fad like all the others.

Really? While I get it that you don't have an interest in it, you call this is a fad? Well, shoot! Then I guess the Polar Plunge benefitting Special Olympics is a fad. I guess Color Me Rad is a fad. I guess the Missoula YMCA Riverbank Run is a fad. I guess the Law Enforcement Torch Run is a fad. I guess every flippin' charitable event held in your own hometown is a flat F A D! I guess the whole damn world and everything inside of it is nothing but a fad. Everything we get from China is a fad. The cars we drive are a fad! The foods we eat are a fad! The beverages we drink are a fad! Just what exactly is the one thing that isn't a fad?! Oh wait. There isn't one I can think of. So, I guess I'm a fad, too.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

agentsteel53

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on August 21, 2014, 06:38:23 PM
Really? While I get it that you don't have an interest in it, you call this is a fad? Well, shoot! Then I guess the Polar Plunge benefitting Special Olympics is a fad. I guess Color Me Rad is a fad. I guess the Missoula YMCA Riverbank Run is a fad. I guess the Law Enforcement Torch Run is a fad. I guess every flippin' charitable event held in your own hometown is a flat F A D! I guess the whole damn world and everything inside of it is nothing but a fad. Everything we get from China is a fad. The cars we drive are a fad! The foods we eat are a fad! The beverages we drink are a fad! Just what exactly is the one thing that isn't a fad?! Oh wait. There isn't one I can think of. So, I guess I'm a fad, too.

where's that Billy Madison quote when we need it?

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 21, 2014, 06:41:29 PM
Quote from: Billy F 1988 on August 21, 2014, 06:38:23 PM

where's that Billy Madison quote when we need it?

QuoteMr. Madison, what you've just said... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul...
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.