News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Ice water challenge

Started by golden eagle, August 14, 2014, 12:37:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

Quote from: Brandon on August 21, 2014, 06:44:05 PM

QuoteMr. Madison, what you've just said... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul...

danke schön!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Billy F 1988

[facepalm] SMH! That just doubly proves I'm a fad then. Woopie...yeah. Eff it. >(
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

PColumbus73

So you're telling me that in order for a charity to become popular, it needs a clever marketing campaign?

bing101

Quote from: golden eagle on August 21, 2014, 06:20:00 PM
Quote from: bing101 on August 21, 2014, 10:54:06 AM
Didn't the NFL start the Ice bucket challenge or Gatorade challenge in one of the Super Bowl's where it was the NFL coach getting splashed with ice water or gatorade? I didn't think ALS group came up with this idea. I thought it wad the NCAA Football or NFL that came up with this challenge.

I guess you could say that, but the giving the coach a Gatorade bath only happened after the team won a big game or championship.

The difference here is that NFL Coaches see the Ice bucket challenge as a tradition thats been around for 20-30 years while other celebs are shocked to try the challenge. I still suspect this was a marketing ploy by the NFL not by ALS group foundation. Pre season anybody.

hotdogPi

Five reasons why this law should be repealed:

1. It's blackmail. Either you dump the water on your head, or you lose $100.
2. The person receiving the $100 could just keep it for himself/herself instead of donating it.
3. The ice water is never pure. It always contains dihydrogen monoxide.
4. Some people can't afford paying $100.

5. Last, and most importantly, if I said "you have to give me 20 dollars", you wouldn't have to give it to me. However, with this, they have to pay the other person $100 unless they pour ice water on their head, and it's legally enforceable.

If these people start targeting those opposing this law, this will become much worse, and comparable to other events in history.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

corco

Quote2. The person receiving the $100 could just keep it for himself/herself instead of donating it.

Uh, you don't give the person $100 directly, then it would just be a pyramid scheme of sorts. You donate the money to charity yourself.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on August 21, 2014, 06:47:11 PM
[facepalm] SMH! That just doubly proves I'm a fad then. Woopie...yeah. Eff it. >(

no, I refuse to suck your hiney.  suck your own hiney.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

algorerhythms

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 21, 2014, 07:46:30 PM
Quote from: Billy F 1988 on August 21, 2014, 06:47:11 PM

no, I refuse to suck your hiney.  suck your own hiney.
Wait, I thought that meant "Shoot My Horse." I guess I owe Billy F 1988 an apology and a new horse...

1995hoo

Quote from: 1 on August 21, 2014, 07:34:17 PM

2. The person receiving the $100 could just keep it for himself/herself instead of donating it.

5. Last, and most importantly, if I said "you have to give me 20 dollars", you wouldn't have to give it to me. However, with this, they have to pay the other person $100 unless they pour ice water on their head, and it's legally enforceable.

If these people start targeting those opposing this law, this will become much worse, and comparable to other events in history.

What law?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

US71

Quote from: PColumbus73 on August 21, 2014, 06:14:14 PM
I have no interest in the Ice Bucket Challenge, it's just a fad like all the others.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Jardine

I'm still getting over West Nile fever, I'm thinking while there are some times it would feel pretty good, it would be frowned upon by medical science.

I'm 2 1/2 weeks into this and still feel lousy.

vdeane

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on August 21, 2014, 06:38:23 PM
Quote from: PColumbus73 on August 21, 2014, 06:14:14 PM
I have no interest in the Ice Bucket Challenge, it's just a fad like all the others.

Really? While I get it that you don't have an interest in it, you call this is a fad? Well, shoot! Then I guess the Polar Plunge benefitting Special Olympics is a fad. I guess Color Me Rad is a fad. I guess the Missoula YMCA Riverbank Run is a fad. I guess the Law Enforcement Torch Run is a fad. I guess every flippin' charitable event held in your own hometown is a flat F A D! I guess the whole damn world and everything inside of it is nothing but a fad. Everything we get from China is a fad. The cars we drive are a fad! The foods we eat are a fad! The beverages we drink are a fad! Just what exactly is the one thing that isn't a fad?! Oh wait. There isn't one I can think of. So, I guess I'm a fad, too.
The Polar Plunge happens every year.  Outside of the NFL, the ice water challenge is brand new and there's no indication it will continue after it eventually dies out.

It's a social requirement, not a legal one, and definitely not a moral one.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Laura

Lol! It's a "fad" because it will fade into obscurity once people have either all been nominated or ignore it.

More than anything, it's a way for people to showboat their awesomeness on facebook/twitter/et al. Every day, people are posting videos with titles "Best ASL challenge yet!!" because everyone is trying to outdo each other. Ever notice how, when proving that they donated (whether they dumped ice water on their head or not), people are flashing $100 bills or a receipt without a dollar amount on it? It's to show "look how altruistic I am!!" The original challenge actually had no set dollar amount to it...somewhere on the train the amount got set to $100.

This is what I'm going to do if I get nominated (I posted this on my twitter, reposted from another user):

donate money to a charity you care about on your own volition, then don't tell your friends about it #NextBigCharityChallenge

roadman

Well put Laura.  I predict that, fifty or so years from now, historians are going to look back on Twitbird, Facelessbook, and the like.  And their conclusion will be something along the lines of "What a truly shallow, vapid, and egocentric society we all once were.  And we all were actually eager to allow corporate marketing executives to manipulate us."
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

algorerhythms

Quote from: roadman on August 22, 2014, 02:22:59 PM
Well put Laura.  I predict that, fifty or so years from now, historians are going to look back on Twitbird, Facelessbook, and the like.  And their conclusion will be something along the lines of "What a truly shallow, vapid, and egocentric society we all once were.  And we all were actually eager to allow corporate marketing executives to manipulate us."
Oh, don't worry, if there's one thing humans are good at, it's inventing more ways to be shallow and vapid.

spooky

Quote from: roadman on August 22, 2014, 02:22:59 PM

I hope you're right, but recent history seems to have society rapidly progressing in the wrong direction. Also, why are we in this handbasket?

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ET21

You think it's a law....
:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Big John

^^ Yesterday, I was driving past a courthouse, and saw a judge getting dumped on outside.

bing101

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnKoEuWzu_I

I forgot to mention that the Ice shower and Gatorade Challenge is also an MLB Tradition for MLB MVP's.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/entertainment/08/21/14/watch-lea-salonga-takes-ice-bucket-challenge

Apparently even other countries are falling for the ALS Challenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBoN7tQ4wtk&feature=youtu.be

an NFL Tradition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp85NUL6TUI

Also an NBA Finals Tradition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GFoywGorp8

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bing101

Quote from: US71 on August 22, 2014, 08:28:33 PM

Thank You!!! Its good grandstanding video's to watch other people beside the NFL and MLB members doing the Ice bucket Challenge.

roadman

Quote from: US71 on August 22, 2014, 08:28:33 PM

Excellent!  Ice is for drinks, not for pouring on heads.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Duke87

The sad part is this shit actually works and gets people to donate who otherwise would not.

"Donate to ALS?"
"Nah"

"Donate to ALS or dump ice water on your head!"
"Okay, I'll donate"

It's an unfortunate aspect of human psychology that when you present someone with two options they will tend to feel forced to choose between the two options you present them and neglect to consider that there may be others. Even if the dichotomy is obviously contrived and ridiculous. It bothers me to no end since it is, in the wise words of Mr. Spock, "highly illogical", and yet everyone follows along anyway.

I have a friend who is shaving her head and asking for donations to support cancer research, and yes, some people have donated. We are a strange sort of creature indeed where self-mutilation "for a good cause" is something we can rally behind.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

english si

Your friend who shaved her head for cancer research (which is surely something about chemo) is doing it to give money for cancer research. She's being sponsored to do stuff that people wouldn't want to do (see also long runs, silences, fasts, etc) and giving that money to a good cause.

The ice water challenge, on the other hand, is done to not give money to ALS. The people doing it are saying (more ridiculous when they are rich celebrities) "I'd rather have a bucket of ice water poured on my head than give money to ALS".

Both are unpleasant and humiliating, but the 'strange' one is the one that is used to give, rather than to avoid giving - both seem as strange as each other. But stranger of all is that those who are avoiding giving are treated as doing good for avoiding it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.