News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Cities starting with directional names that are not N-S-E- W of something

Started by roadman65, September 04, 2014, 01:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

We also have these two in the Chicago area:

Northlake - named for its location where North Avenue (IL-64) and Lake Street (US-20) cross.

South Holland - named for South Holland, Netherlands.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Bruce

A pair from Washington state:

North Bend - named for a bend in the Snoqualmie River

South Bend - named for a bend in the Willapa River; located 110 miles (straightline distance) west of North Bend

GaryV

North Branch, MI is considerably to the south and east of West Branch.  Although I would surmise that both places were named for being on a branch of a river or creek.

South Haven is a ways south of Grand Haven.  Grand Haven is named after the Grand River; I suppose South Haven could have been called Kalamazoo Haven.

US81

There's West, TX which is actually in central Texas north of Waco nowhere near west Texas.

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

TheHighwayMan3561

South Range, WI. Just south of Duluth/Superior.

There is a Range, WI about 2 hours south of South Range.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Brandon

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 07, 2014, 12:15:36 AM
South Range, WI. Just south of Duluth/Superior.

There is a Range, WI about 2 hours south of South Range.

And a South Range, Michigan, south of Houghton on M-26.  There is no Range in the UP.  Instead, it is named for being in the south part of the copper mining range.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

signalman

I just remembered a town that I know quite well, although I haven't been there in several years.  In the Lancaster, PA area there is a town called East Petersburg.  However there is no town named Petersburg nor is there any other directional prefixed Petersburgs in the area.

bing101

Westwood, CA its where UCLA is at in the LA Basin but its a district.

bing101

jp the roadgeek

There's Northeast, NY, and Southeast, NY.  Both are about 60 miles apart along the CT border.  Both are better known for a village they contain (Millerton, and Brewster, respectively).  The east part is accurate, but there's a lot of NY state north and south of the two towns.

Then there's the Hampton collection in MA (North, East, South, West), but there's no just plain Hampton.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

vtk

West Liberty, OH and East Liberty, OH are fairly close, and situated as you might expect relative to one another. I mention them because they (and perhaps East Canton) are the oddballs of Ohio. Normally a city with a directional name has no opposite or directionless counterpart where you'd expect.

Previously mentioned West Carrollton is indeed west of Carrollton, but at quite a distance. Previously mentioned North Bloomfield is near Cleveland, while South Bloomfield is near Columbus; which came first? I don't know of any Bloomfield.

There are two West Jeffersons, and while I don't know of any Jefferson Ohio, neither is west of Jeffersonville.  South Vienna and South Charleston seem to be orphaned as well.

Not quite on topic, but how did Old Washington get its name? Was it originally called Washington and renamed in deference to a newer one? (There's Washington C.H. ...)

That reminds me of North Washington, which is indeed north of both Old Washington and Washington C.H., but at a substantial distance.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

SSOWorld

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 15, 2014, 01:36:21 AM
There's Northeast, NY, and Southeast, NY.  Both are about 60 miles apart along the CT border.  Both are better known for a village they contain (Millerton, and Brewster, respectively).  The east part is accurate, but there's a lot of NY state north and south of the two towns.

Then there's the Hampton collection in MA (North, East, South, West), but there's no just plain Hampton.
That pretty much sums up the Hamptons on Long Island.  (Note: no space between the words.)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

thenetwork

Quote from: lepidopteran on September 04, 2014, 10:58:33 PM

In the Cleveland area

• North Bloomfield
  • North Olmsted

Where is North Bloomfield???  In the Cleveland area, there is North Olmsted, North Ridgeville and North Royalton, but no North Bloomfield.

The only somewhat accurate directional cities in the area offhand is South Euclid (it is south of Euclid) and East Cleveland -- although Cleveland proper does have a sliver of municipality east of East Cleveland.

lepidopteran

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 15, 2014, 01:36:21 AM
And in New Jersey, you have all the Brunswicks except West, plus a "New".  Only plain Brunswick I know of, aside from many bowling alleys, is in MD, near Harpers Ferry, WV.  Exit 9 of the NJTP signs it as "New Brunswick, East Brunswick".  I say the only reason they didn't go with "The Brunswicks" is because South B. is best accessed via Exit 8A.

On that note, Exit 10 is signed "The Amboys" for Perth Amboy and South Amboy.

And Exit 15W is for Kearny and The Oranges (does that sound like the name of a '60s rock band?).  Again, you have plain Orange, plus all the cardinal directions except North.  What, no Orange-Pineapple? (sorry, couldn't resist)
Edit: or the Asian community of Mandarin Orange

Pete from Boston

Quote from: lepidopteran on September 16, 2014, 08:16:28 PMOn that note, Exit 10 is signed "The Amboys" for Perth Amboy and South Amboy.

And Exit 15W is for Kearny and The Oranges (does that sound like the name of a '60s rock band?).  Again, you have plain Orange, plus all the cardinal directions except North.  What, no Orange-Pineapple? (sorry, couldn't resist)

This is something New Jersey likes to do.  The Turnpike exit for Route 46 is (or was) signed "The Ridgefields," which always sounded like a sitcom to me.  Is there a "The Caldwells" sign anywhere? 

signalman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 16, 2014, 08:41:57 PM

Quote from: lepidopteran on September 16, 2014, 08:16:28 PMOn that note, Exit 10 is signed "The Amboys" for Perth Amboy and South Amboy.

This is something New Jersey likes to do.  The Turnpike exit for Route 46 is (or was) signed "The Ridgefields," which always sounded like a sitcom to me.  Is there a "The Caldwells" sign anywhere? 
Yes. US 46 East in the Montville area is signed for the Caldwells.

Pete from Boston

xcellntbuy

Hudson, NY and North Hudson, NY are about 132 miles from each other.

golden eagle

Quote from: US81 on September 06, 2014, 01:17:15 AM
There's West, TX which is actually in central Texas north of Waco nowhere near west Texas.

We also have a West, MS, about an hour or so north of me.

There's West Point, MS. I'm not aware of a North Point, East Point or South Point. There's also a West Point, GA, but is separated by about 75 miles from East Point, GA.

Then, there's Southaven, MS, which is located south of the section of Memphis that's known as Whitehaven.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: golden eagle on September 18, 2014, 07:22:22 PM
There's West Point, MS. I'm not aware of a North Point, East Point or South Point. There's also a West Point, GA, but is separated by about 75 miles from East Point, GA.

West Point, New York, (not a town, but a CDP better known than the town it's in) is not west of Point or East Point, but I don't think anyone ever really considers that it might be.

bing101

Northridge in Los Angeles its a district but there is no district named ridge. This may be close proximity to Santa Monica Mountains.

The Great Zo

Here's South Carrollton, Kentucky. Yes, there is a Carrollton in Kentucky, but it's pretty far northeast of South Carrollton. Perhaps Carrollton's location on the Ohio River is why South Carrollton seems to have inherited a steamboat on their sign, when they aren't anywhere near a body of water themselves.

Quote from: lepidopteran on September 04, 2014, 10:58:33 PM
One curiosity that has always stood out in Ohio is the city of "Upper Sandusky".  Not a cardinal direction per se, but we tend to think of "up" as north when looking at a map.  But actually, Upper Sandusky is some 60 miles southwest of it's un-adjectived namesake on Lake Erie.  The name comes from it's "upper" position on the Sandusky River, which empties into the bay of the same name next to the city of Sandusky.

This is a fantastic example. Lots of people fall into the trap of thinking of north and south as up and down, when the terms "upper" and "lower" have completely different meanings.

DandyDan

Similarly, there's a Western, Nebraska that's not in Western Nebraska (it's an hour SW of Lincoln).
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.