News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Hill Parking

Started by DaBigE, September 07, 2014, 01:56:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you handle parking on a hill?

Wheels cranked the appropriate direction
21 (87.5%)
I have complete faith in my parking gear and/or parking brake; don't need to turn my wheels
1 (4.2%)
Wheel chocks--who cares where my wheels are pointed?
0 (0%)
I thought putting it in Park was enough?
0 (0%)
My vehicle is special, none of the above apply
0 (0%)
I never park on a hill; this doesn't matter to me
2 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Dr Frankenstein

Wheels turned, parking brake pulled tight, on first gear.

1995hoo

Quote from: DaBigE on September 07, 2014, 02:01:03 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on September 07, 2014, 10:22:58 AM
I didn't select an answer because none apply. I do curb my wheels, but it wasn't taught in driver's ed.

Fixed.

Based on that I voted for the first option. Didn't mention in my prior post that, like others who have responded, I shift into first gear when I park. I usually set the handbrake before shifting into gear, but I couldn't tell you why. There have been times (usually when the car is facing downhill) when I used to put it in reverse instead of first, but I don't do that anymore.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

agentsteel53

Quote from: vdeane on September 07, 2014, 05:34:05 PM
something happens like an EMP?

all power in the city has failed.  people are panicking.  looters are burning shit everywhere.  the police are useless.  the president has sent in the national guard.  my car has gently rolled a few feet into the one behind it.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

freebrickproductions

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 08, 2014, 10:34:20 AM

all power in the city has failed.  people are panicking.  looters are burning shit everywhere.  the police are useless.  the president has sent in the national guard.  my car has gently rolled a few feet into the one behind it.
:-D :clap:
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

vdeane

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 07, 2014, 10:07:09 PM
So basically the car is never off.  What happens if the battery dies or something happens like an EMP?

I drive an 18-year-old truck with manual windows, locks, and transmission, but which still has a computer in it.  Am I going to be able to drive after an EMP?
I don't know, but at least it won't roll into the car behind it.  Of course, you really want a car like the model T with no electronics so that you can drive to your bunker in the event a solar storm destroys the electric grid.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

realjd

You'll get a ticket if you don't curb your wheels when parked on a hill. Why is this so hard? I live in FL and even I know that.

jakeroot

Quote from: realjd on September 09, 2014, 01:08:11 AM
You'll get a ticket if you don't curb your wheels when parked on a hill. Why is this so hard? I live in FL and even I know that.

That depends on the jurisdiction. For example, Tacoma, Wash has no such law (that I can find).

agentsteel53

Florida has a law addressing hills?  that's like Texas needing a law addressing polar bear hunting.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brian556

Quote from agentsteel53:
Florida has a law addressing hills?  that's like Texas needing a law addressing polar bear hunting.

Florida has some surprisingly big hills. The Clermont area is very hilly.

Look around 360 degrees at this location and tell me Florida doesn't have hills.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=28.565168,-81.718414&spn=0.000075,0.049567&t=h&z=15&layer=c&cbll=28.565168,-81.718414&panoid=nzZxhFrFTiH9tRe1_Ppr3g&cbp=12,185.37,,0,0

NJRoadfan

Quote from: vdeane on September 08, 2014, 12:51:34 PM
I don't know, but at least it won't roll into the car behind it.  Of course, you really want a car like the model T with no electronics so that you can drive to your bunker in the event a solar storm destroys the electric grid.

Most cars since the late 70s have electronic ignition systems that would be fried. Electronic parking brakes don't consume power continuously, its just an electronically actuated piston.

webfil

You'll get a ticket if you don't curb your wheels when parked on a hill.

Same as here.

Quote from: RSQ, c C-24.2, a. 383Unless otherwise indicated by the person responsible for the maintenance of the highway, a road vehicle must be parked not more than 30 centimetres from the near edge of the roadway and facing the same way as the traffic.

Where a road vehicle is parked on a slope, the emergency brake must be applied and the front wheels must be turned so that if such vehicle moves ahead of its own momentum, it will do so toward the near edge of the roadway.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, a motorcycle or moped may be angle-parked against the near edge of the roadway, in the same direction as the traffic, so that if the vehicle moves of its own momentum it will do so toward the near edge of the roadway.

1986, c. 91, s. 383.

Duke87

I will turn my wheels if I am parked on a hill or if I am parked in a sketchy area. In the latter case I figure it makes it more difficult for someone to steal my rims.

I also habitually always put the parking brake on even though my car is an automatic. This is an OCD thing for me and is another reason why I won't entrust my car to a valet if I can avoid it. Valet guy, service garage guy... none of them ever put the parking brake on. Assholes. Never leave my car parked with the brake off!

For what it's worth, CT teaches you in drivers' ed that you're always supposed to put the parking brake and indeed, it's points off if you don't do it at the end of your road test. But like obedience of speed limits, this is a habit 99% of people drop the instant they get their license. In this case the remaining 1% consists of people who drive stick and me.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

kkt

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 08, 2014, 10:34:20 AM

The police will be out there doing their jobs... giving tickets to people who failed to curb their wheels.

Me: curb wheels, put transmission in 1st (lower than reverse on my car), set parking brake.  Await zombie hordes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.