News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Texas House of Reps OKs Several Speed Limit Changes

Started by burgess87, April 07, 2011, 09:49:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sykotyk

Yeah, I don't like the headlight criteria because I burn my headlights starting a few hours after high noon simply because the angle of the sun hides my car better to others and headlights (and taillights) will help them see me. Same thing until late morning. I could go quite some time without _needing_ headlights if that were the criteria. Plus, that type of criteria (if it were ever to be codified) would just encourage people to drive fast without their headlights at night. Not a pretty picture.

Grzrd

Speed limit changes from legislature now only need Gov. Perry's signature:

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/legislative-recap-speed-cash-are-in-corridor-still-1520980.html?viewAsSinglePage=true

" ... Now that the 82nd regular session is over ... the time is ripe to assess what happened, and didn't happen, with transportation ... much of it subject to bill signings by Gov. Rick Perry ...

Speed bills:Letting Texans drive faster is rarely a bad political strategy. The Legislature, which in previous years had authorized 75 mph speed limits on rural highways in 104 sparsely populated counties (subject to TxDOT decisions, road by road) and 80 mph on West Texas interstates, decided to allow 75 mph speed limits in the other 150 counties. This applies only to rural roads, and only if TxDOT decides the road will safely accommodate the speed. The same bill would eliminate lower nightime speed limits.

Lawmakers, in another bill, decided to retain the possibility of an 85 mph speed limit on the new section of Texas 130 under construction southeast of Austin (by one of those Spanish companies!). That speed limit would be legal under the Trans-Texas Corridor statute, which, as we said, is probably going away."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.