News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

ON Hwy 26 New opens (photos)

Started by AsphaltPlanet, November 18, 2012, 05:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsphaltPlanet

A new 4-lane segment of Highway 26 in Ontario opened to traffic last week between Collingwood and Wasaga Beach.  I took these photos before construction was completed back in September but they are the best that I have.

More and larger:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_20-29_images/Hwy26_images.htm

-- Fixed URL. -rmf67
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Dr Frankenstein

Is this the bypass that was started in 2003 and then stalled for several years? I was starting to think it would never see the light of day.

webfil

From this point of view - and according to some pictures on your website -, the base granulate looks very fine. I hope the subbase is glue or first class MG>56!

AsphaltPlanet

The construction of this highway looked pretty typical of other highways butyl in Ontario, so it should be OK.  I went out for a drive on the new highway yesterday just to check it out and it rode pretty smoothly.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

rickmastfan67

Hey Scott, just an FYI, you don't need to put quotes around the URL when putting it in the URL tags. ;)

Anyways, Scott, how does the new alignment tie into the old one at each end?  Did the old road get cut off on each end, or are there intersections for it?  Want to update my {26} file for CHM, but need to know this info first before I can do it.

AsphaltPlanet

There is a tie in with the old road (Beachwood Road) at the west end, there isn't a tie in at the east end.

Transportfan

The old highway (now Beachwood Rd./Lyons Ct.) is now closed at Mosley St., and the traffic light has been removed. Traffic on the still-open section of Beechwood is fed into the Cedar Grove Pkwy., and the Lyons Ct. section is now fed into 71st. St. (which I live on) via an awkward new connection.

I'm not sure if the closure is for the contruction of the Mosley roundabout or because the section of old 26 is being abandoned to save money (and the roundabout cancelled), but it does seem odd that construction would start in late November for that. 

AsphaltPlanet

I am under the impression that the roundabout at the old alignment is still going ahead.  You're right though, it is odd that construction would start so late in the year.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.