News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Fire closes part of US 101 and 110 in downtown LA

Started by Lyon Wonder, December 08, 2014, 04:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsman

Quote from: andy3175 on December 21, 2014, 02:27:04 AM

Nice sign concept! I think that APL is difficult due to the limited sign heights in California. There has been a move in recently installed signs to call 110 north "Parkway" and to diminish the Pasadena control city and Pasadena Freeway name recently. What do you think about having the 110 sign say something about the Arroyo Seco Parkway, similar to how it's been signed on I-5 at 110? At least we can all agree it is state route 110 (not Interstate 110) north of the Four-Level Interchange.

I would say that the control city is very important especially in highways that travel in a different direction from the direction they are signed in (i.e. the E-W US 101 Ventura Freeway that is signed as north-south or I-94 between Chicago and Milwaukee that is signed east-west).  But even where highways are signed in accordance with compass direction (which of course is most of the time), it's an added helpful piece of information to the traveler to generally let them know in which direction they are going.

Keep in mind that travelers have to make theses decisions going at highway speeds (not at the four level, but for many other freeway interchanges) and there are plenty of people who mistake east/west, so I don't want that to be the only information they have.  The control city might be the piece of information that they need to get them to their location.

E.g. Pico Rivera is southeast of Downtown LA.  If freeways were not available, the most direct way of getting there would be to take east-west streets like Washington or Whittier.  Yet, by using the freeways taking I-5 south is the most direct way.  Somebody might say, why should I take a freeway south when I want to go east?  But the added information that they are heading towards Santa Ana might be more helpful.

And imagine for a second that we still had US highways (other than 101) in California.  US 99 is east-west along the I-10 corridor for over 100 miles from LA to Indio.  Would it be OK to sign this section as only US 99 without a control city?  (Yes, I know that 60/70 were also signed on the corridor for most, but not all of the time period for when US 99 went to the Mexican border.)

OF course, my argument is only good when the proper control city is chosen.  Let's not repeat the mistake of having CA-55 going to Anaheim.

One more gripe about the four level:  There are signs saying no trucks on CA-110, but there is no guidance on a truck route to get trucks all the way to Pasadena.  SUre, take the 101, but then what?  I guess the city doesn't want any one street being the official truck route and who knows what will happen with the 710. 

SignBridge

mrsman, thanks for that link to that Redesign thread. I had not seen it before and some of the ideas presented were interesting!

mrsman

My recent posts on this sign here and on the Redesign This thread got me to think a lot about the lack of a signed recommended truck route to reach Pasadena.  Obviously the best truck route depends on the ultimate destination, but it is certainly glaring when you're driving along on a freeway and you all of a sudden see a sign that is the equivalent for a trucker of "DO NOT ENTER" and are now forced to change direction, but don't know which is the best way to go.

2 possibilites:

Follow the business US 66 route:  Take US 101 south to Broadway to Pasadena Avenue to Figueroa Street which closely parallels the freeway and leads to the 134 freeway.

Follow the CA-2 freeway.  The least busy freeway that serves the Downtown LA area is a great connector to I-5, CA-134, and I-210.  Just take US 101 to Glendale Blvd and you'll see the freeway about 1 mile north.

Again, neither is formally recommended and there is no further guidance about the truck route north once you leave CA-110.

But as I was thinking of all of this, I started thinking about the interesting history of the US routes that used to serve the Four Level Interchange. 

US 101 Hollywood to Santa Ana along the E-W mainline of the interchange (as it does today, except that today US 101 ends at the E LA interchange)
US 66 from Santa Monica Blvd it joins the Hollywood Freeway, but then transitions onto the Arroyo Seco Parkway to Pasadena and eventually Chicago
US 6 entering the L.A. area from the Newhall Pass, it follows San Fernando Road and then takes the Arroyo Seco down to the interchange and it continues down the Harbor Freeway.
US 99 also entered the L.A. area from the Newhall Pass, followed San Fernando Road and then took the Arroyo Seco down to the interchange.  From there it transitioned to the Santa Ana Freeway and thence the San Bernardino Freeway for its trip to Indio and then Calexico.
CA-11, essentially the historic CA/I-110 that also followed the Harbor Freeway and Arroyo Seco Parkway.  CA-11 historically continued northwest past the Rose Bowl to the area where JPL now is. 
[See 1956 Thomas Map for this information]

Now, there was also for a very brief time, there was a consideration that US 6 would be signed to enter the LA area from Newhall and follow the San Fernando Road corridor along present-day I-5, but then take present-day CA-170 (not CA-110) to connect with US 101.  So then US 101, US 66, and US 6 would all travel from Hollywood to the Four Level.  US 101 continuing to Santa Ana, US 66 to Pasadena, and US 6 to the Harbor Area and Long Beach.

What I find interesting is that many of the recommended truck routes can just go ahead and follow some of the different planned routings of the US highways.  Traveling up the Harbor and need to head to I-5 north.  IF you can't follow the old US 6 routing through the old Figueroa tunnels, then follow the planned US 6 routing along US 101 and CA-170 to I-5.  Or as another alternative, the historic US 66 along Broadway, Pasadena Ave, and Figueroa.

And it also leads to some perspective that the weird left ramp from 110 to I-5 wasn't always a transition from one route to another, it was the continuation of one of the main routes of the freeway, following the US 6 / US 99 corridor from the Four-Level to Burbank and San Fernando.

AndyMax25

Just drove by earlier today. New truss and signs have been installed.  They look exactly the same as the ones that burned down.

mrsman

BOOO!!

The sign is terrible.  Bring back control cities.

TheStranger

Quote from: mrsman on December 30, 2015, 08:26:42 AM
BOOO!!

Hey, give credit for one important thing: the sign pointing towards the southbound Santa Ana Freeway isn't using the "implied Caltrans TO" that had been there for decades (5 Santa Ana/10 San Bernardino) but rather the actual route number (US 101) for once!

...though the Richard Ankrom implied TO for North I-5 is still there, granted a much better alternative than no acknowledgement of that upcoming ramp.
Chris Sampang

SignBridge

What's annoying in this situation is that they didn't revise all the signs in the series for this exit. The one just beyond this set still says 10-San Bernadino/5-Santa Ana and Hollywood for the 101 destination. The MUTCD indicates that consistent information is supposed to be shown throughout the sequence of signs for any exit. So Hello! Is anyone at Caltrans paying attention?   

mrsman

Quote from: TheStranger on December 30, 2015, 02:38:51 PM
Quote from: mrsman on December 30, 2015, 08:26:42 AM
BOOO!!

Hey, give credit for one important thing: the sign pointing towards the southbound Santa Ana Freeway isn't using the "implied Caltrans TO" that had been there for decades (5 Santa Ana/10 San Bernardino) but rather the actual route number (US 101) for once!

...though the Richard Ankrom implied TO for North I-5 is still there, granted a much better alternative than no acknowledgement of that upcoming ramp.

Yes.  I can acknowledge that it is nice to keep track of the real highway numbers, but let me tell you that control cities are very beneficial.  I grew up in LA, so these freeways are very familiar to me, but I recently got back from a roadtrip to Norfolk, VA.  All of the major freeways there are interstates of the I-x64 family.  So it is quite confusing to tell the difference between I-264, I-64, and I-664 at one interchange.  The one saving grace that helped me from getting lost was a very proper usage of control cities.

There is no reason for getting rid of the control cities to that extent over in Downtown LA.  Give me Sacramento, Pasadena, San Pedro, Hollywood, Santa Monica, San Bernardino, Pomona, and Santa Ana. 

From the 110, arguably more than one control city would work for US 101 south and I-10 east.  I-10 east signage (at the interchange with the SM Freeway) should read I-10 east to CA-60 Pomona.  US 101 south signage at the Four Level should read US 101 south San Bernardino Santa Ana.  Putting in both the highway connections and the control cities together might be information overload - but the control cities are more important.

roadfro

I can agree with the need for control cities, but in this case the route numbers are more important.

There is no way (that I see, at least) to get all the necessary control cities and route numbers on that right hand sign and keep it within the Caltrans sign height restriction.

Control cities could easily have put on the left hand pull through sign (as well as the "TO" for I-5 north, which really should be there).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

TheStranger

Quote from: roadfro on December 31, 2015, 07:00:31 PM

There is no way (that I see, at least) to get all the necessary control cities and route numbers on that right hand sign and keep it within the Caltrans sign height restriction.

Even if Caltrans didn't have sign height restrictions...I feel like the issue of excessive message loading (highly discouraged in the MUTCD of course) would come into play, a side effect of just how many routes end up at the East Los Angeles Interchange nearby.

The older usage of Hollywood as control city also is so localized (literally one or two districts over from downtown) that while it is a useful tourist destination, it isn't a particularly great choice for long-distance driving.

Having said that, 170 north (to some extent 101 north on onramp signage leading to it via the Hollywood Freeway) and 5 north out here (and other roads leading to 5 north) have both used Sacramento instead of Bakersfield since the early 1980s, an interesting instance of Caltrans opting for a much further city directly on the route as opposed to a closer next destination not directly on the (numbered) route.  (Compare this to 10 east still being signed for "San Bernardino" even though it barely skirts the town, as opposed to "Indio" or "Phoenix" from this spot)

Quote from: roadfro on December 31, 2015, 07:00:31 PM

Control cities could easily have put on the left hand pull through sign (as well as the "TO" for I-5 north, which really should be there).

In this case, I wonder if the philosophy is that each shield represents an individual message the driver must digest (particularly that 101 SOUTH TO 5 SOUTH/10 EAST/60 EAST sign).
Chris Sampang

SignBridge

You can make reasonable arguments for both ideas. Different people navigate differently. Some might do better with the control cities, others maybe with the route numbers as now shown. If the sign height restriction wasn't an issue, maybe 60-Pomona could just be added as a third destination to the original signs. I think that would be the most informative, but with the height restrictions it wouldn't work unless you eliminated the arrows, which might not be feasible.

mrsman

In many ways, the control cities that are chosen match the names of the freeways that have been in use since at least the 1960's.  So I-10 East to San Bernardino, because I-10 east is also known as the San Bernardino Freeway.  And yes, the SB Fwy doesn't actually reach SB, but it goes in that direction.  (And I-210 only began reaching SB relatively recently.)

With that being said, control cities can be easily implemented for the left part of the sign for Sacramento and Pasadena.

For the right part of the sign, they should be implemented anyway.

And the existing sign shows a way that each message can be represented with two lines of text:

<101> NORTH
Ventura

[I personally prefer Hollywood, but Ventura is fine.]

Now utilize a similar 2 line approach for the other directions:

TO <5> NORTH
Sacramento

<110> NORTH
Pasadena

<101> SOUTH TO <5> SOUTH & <10> EAST
Santa Ana - San Bernardino

No need to mention <60> here.  Traffic from the 110 should not be encouraged to use the 101 to the 60, they should use the I-10 Santa Monica Freeway.  Removing mention of the 60 should help address the sign issues and message loading issues that  exist.

TheStranger

Quote from: mrsman on January 03, 2016, 04:00:47 PM

No need to mention <60> here.  Traffic from the 110 should not be encouraged to use the 101 to the 60, they should use the I-10 Santa Monica Freeway.  Removing mention of the 60 should help address the sign issues and message loading issues that  exist.

I feel like 60 is mentioned because traffic coming up from the civic center area would already not be heading towards the Santa Monica Freeway though I generally agree with your logic.  (Also, couldn't one easily take 10 east to 710 south to get to 60 and avoid the main East Los Angeles Interchange that way?)

Chris Sampang

mrsman

Quote from: TheStranger on January 04, 2016, 11:51:57 AM
Quote from: mrsman on January 03, 2016, 04:00:47 PM

I feel like 60 is mentioned because traffic coming up from the civic center area would already not be heading towards the Santa Monica Freeway though I generally agree with your logic.  (Also, couldn't one easily take 10 east to 710 south to get to 60 and avoid the main East Los Angeles Interchange that way?)

Keep in mind this sign is on the Harbor Freeway northbound, not the 101 itself.  Those coming from South LA would have already passed the exit for the 10 freeway.  Those entering the Harbor from Downtown (3rd or 5th or 8th) should be encouraged to go to 110 south to 10 to 60.

Those who get on the 101 from the Civic Center (Grand or L.A. street or Alameda), those people would take the 101 to the 60.  But they won't see this sign.

TheStranger

Quote from: mrsman on January 05, 2016, 08:36:23 AM

Those who get on the 101 from the Civic Center (Grand or L.A. street or Alameda), those people would take the 101 to the 60.  But they won't see this sign.

I feel like this sign is designed to be consistent with the newer (2009-present) signage for 101 south at the San Bernardino Split:

https://goo.gl/maps/4AZLWRvZX1A2

Essentially, a driver who saw the "US 101 SOUTH to 5 SOUTH/10 EAST/60 EAST" sign here at the Four-Level would be able to see similar control legend 2 miles to the east (as opposed to any mention of 60 disappearing until the East Los Angeles Interchange)
Chris Sampang

mrsman

I had another idea with regard to signage of a control city on these signs discussed above:

Traveling along US 101 south of the 110, whether on the mainline or whether transitioning from the 110, the sign should say:

SOUTH
<101>
East LA Interchange

similarly, on I-10 east of the 110, signs should say:

EAST
<10>
East LA Interchange

Supplemental signs indicate that those wanting <10> EAST San Bernardino, <60> EAST Pomona, and <5> SOUTH Santa Ana should follow signs to the East LA Interchange.  These signs would reduce clutter and clearly indicate where the highway goes.

roadfro

"East LA Interchange" is not a city, and really isn't a good control usage. And for the out-of-towners, they're not necessarily going to know what the East LA Interchange is for.

Supplemental signage for the other routes isn't a bad idea to reduce clutter though.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

mrsman

Quote from: mrsman on December 09, 2014, 11:49:26 AM
Quote from: DTComposer on December 09, 2014, 11:13:23 AM

If I'm not mistaken, part of the rationale on the sign layout was message loading...I think I read here they try to limit to twenty elements per sign assembly. While I would love to see the control cities reinstated, your sign would have 32 elements, which would make it a little hard to parse out at freeway speeds.

Of course, how often is that stretch of 110 truly at freeway speeds?....

Yes, message loading could be a problem, but sometimes with complicated interchanges, there are a lot of messages that need to be conveyed. 

Another idea to reduce message loading would be to replace the rightmost sign as follows:
SOUTH US 101 Santa Ana/ San Bernardino/ TRUCK RTE / (Right Arrow).

(Yes, IMO the control cities are more important than the highway numbers of the highways that you'll reach 2 miles east of here.)

Of course, somewhere before there can be a roadside green sign saying: 
I-10 EAST San Bernardino
I-5 SOUTH Santa Ana
CA-60 EAST Pomona
USE US 101 SOUTH.

Currently, as there is a mix of old and new signage, all of the messages that should be conveyed are conveyed.  But I see the writing on the wall.  As far as Caltrans Dist 7 is concerned, freeway names and control cities can be dumped into the dustbin of history.  But it's wrong because freeway names and control cities are helpful to the driving public.

Yet, even I agree that at this particular location freeway names are redundant if the control cities are included.  Harbor Freeway to San Pedro (the Harbor), Pasadena Freeway (Arroyo Seco Parkway) to Pasadena, Hollywood Freeway to Hollywood, Santa Ana Freeway to Santa Ana.

My post from 2014 in this thread is probably the best idea for this sign.  Alas, the inconsistent D7 is throwing control cities into the dustbin of history with the new sign.

mrsman

Quote from: AndyMax25 on December 27, 2015, 11:10:53 PM
Just drove by earlier today. New truss and signs have been installed.  They look exactly the same as the ones that burned down.

More thoughts on this terrible sign that came to me since it was featured in a USA Today article that showed up on my phone.

Not only are there issues with lack of control cities that I mentioned upthread, but certain details make this sign very confusing.

The I-5 north ramp is 2 miles away to the north on the left.  There should be an indiciation saying "2 miles" below the I-5 symbol.

The sign for 101 south is terribly misleading.  Because of the arrows it appears that the right most lane is for I-10 (and 60) east and the  next lane over to the left is for I-5 south.  This is simply not true.  The right lane will lead to the Temple and Broadway exits, if you don't merge left.  The left lane can also exit to Broadway and will eventually be used to reach any further exits on 101 south and lead to the 10, 5, and 60.  Of course to prevent all traffic from using one lane of the ramp, you want to encourage all traffic to use both lanes, so don't display the arrows in such a definintive way.

And if your thinking of the eventual downstream split, (San Bernardino Split) the highways displayed here are in the wrong order.  10 east should be on the left and I-5 and 60 should be on the right, grouped together, since the right lanes will take you to the East LA Intechange where you can make the choice to reach I-5 or 60.

To avoid this confusion, at minimum, you need to put "[101] TO" on the same line as "[10]     [5]    [60]".  (Cardinal directions can be right above the appropriate shield.*)  Then it will be clear that both arrow lanes lead you to 101 to reach any of the 3 freeways.

And if all the numbered shields landed on one line, you'd have plenty of room for the (IMO necessary) control cities of San Bernardino and Santa Ana.

* IMO Cardinal directions are not necessary if control cities are added.  I beleive control cities would be most helpful.

Take a look at this sign along mainline 101 at the Broadway exit:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0592696,-118.2459443,3a,75y,108.43h,90.21t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfs7NfB-8_gU4BCiW-pjoyg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

The sign works fine without cardinal directions.  The sign would also work fine if the "[10] [5]" were replaced with "[101] TO   [10][5][60]".  But please leave the control cities.

SignBridge

Mrsman, I agree with some of your points. Re: the multiple routes shown on the right-most sign, I agree that the shields should be placed in the order that will eventually apply when you get further down the road to the route split. Caltrans should have done that.

And I also agree that route and destination might be more useful than route and cardinal direction. The right sign on the distant display shows that arrangement which was the way many of the signs in this area were originally set up. But I guess when they added the [60] shield there wasn't enough room for three destinations so they used the shorter cardinal directions. Remember that in California, the size of the sign (and therefore legend space) is limited by height requirements unlike in many other parts of the country.

myosh_tino

Quote from: mrsman on April 19, 2018, 10:26:20 PM
To avoid this confusion, at minimum, you need to put "[101] TO" on the same line as "[10]     [5]    [60]".  (Cardinal directions can be right above the appropriate shield.*)  Then it will be clear that both arrow lanes lead you to 101 to reach any of the 3 freeways.
:
:
And if all the numbered shields landed on one line, you'd have plenty of room for the (IMO necessary) control cities of San Bernardino and Santa Ana.

* IMO Cardinal directions are not necessary if control cities are added.  I beleive control cities would be most helpful.

SignBridge is correct in that there is a maximum guide sign height of 120 inches in California which greatly limits what can be done about the far-right sign.  Earlier in this discussion I posted this redesign of the entry gantry...

... which moved the I-5 north information from the CA-110 pull-through to it's own 2 mile advance guide sign and tried to deal with the mass of shields on the 101 south exit sign.

But I had also created other alternatives which were posted in the Redesign This discussion on the Road Related Illustrations sub-forum...

This redesign moves the I-10/CA-60 information onto it's own supplemental guide sign which basically says "TO I-10 and CA-60 USE US-101 South" while the US 101 South exit sign gets a "To I-5 South" and a control city of Santa Ana. The only issue I have with this redesign is the pull-through which puts the "TO I-5 North" to the right of the CA-110 shield.  It's misleading because the I-5 north exit is a left exit.  Also, there's no room for exit numbers.

This redesign merges the two US 101 exit signs into a single one creating a Caltrans classic where there's only one US-101 shield positioned over a vertical line that "splits" the north and south exit information.  There are no control cities for the southbound sign because there's simply no room for it.

As for the idea that control cities are more important than cardinal directions, are you suggesting a gantry that looks like this...

If so, I would be strongly against it.  If you're going to put the same route shield on two different signs, in this case the US 101 and I-5 shields you have to include cardinal directions otherwise you're going to cause a ton of confusion, especially when it comes to the I-5 shields.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

mrsman

Myosh_tino,

The left part of your first submission (from last night) is great for I-5 north and 110 north.

For the right part of the sign, I was thinking along the lines of keeping the really small font that currently says "101 south to" and just adding the (10) and (5) shields in the same small size.  This would leave room for San Bernardino and Santa Ana below.

I'm thinking that even though there is great haste on the part of Caltrans to get rid of control cities to help with message loading concerns, that they at least somewhat recognize t he problem.  The sign downstream has the old version of 101 Hollywood and 10/5 San Bernardino and Santa Ana.  They didn't replace this sign and I don't beleive they are incilined to do so any time soon.

Incidentally, I don't really believe that the 60 has to be mentioned here at all.  Those coming along 110 north are either coming from south of the 10 or from Downtown itself. IMO it would make more sense for traffic heading to the 60 (and I-5 south of the ELA interchange) to not use the 101 at all, but rather make their way to I-10 Santa Monica Fwy to reach the interchange.  The only traffic that should use the 110 to 101 south ramp here are those heading to any of the 101 exits in Civic Center and Boyle Heights and those heading to I-10 towards San Bernardino.  Perhaps San Bernardino can be the only control to be used, despite the anomaly that this section of the 101 is the Santa Ana Fwy.

SignBridge

All the designs above are interesting. This is a very difficult location to sign effectively. There are just too many routes, directions and destinations to post them all without serious message overload. Sometimes there are just no easy answers.

Ironically, the only time this location ever was signed without message overload was the 1960's signing which did not include the No Trucks and Truck Rte. designations. Those signs read as follows: North [11] Pasadena..........North [101] Hollywood.............Santa Ana [5], San Bernadino [10]

myosh_tino

Quote from: mrsman on April 21, 2018, 11:48:20 PM
For the right part of the sign, I was thinking along the lines of keeping the really small font that currently says "101 south to" and just adding the (10) and (5) shields in the same small size.  This would leave room for San Bernardino and Santa Ana below.

I am not a fan of dinky route shields on overhead guide signs.  They're hard to see and would be a detriment to out-of-town motorists who would rely more on the route shields for navigation than control cities.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

sparker

Quote from: myosh_tino on April 21, 2018, 02:13:09 AM
Earlier in this discussion I posted this redesign of the entry gantry...

... which moved the I-5 north information from the CA-110 pull-through to it's own 2 mile advance guide sign and tried to deal with the mass of shields on the 101 south exit sign.

That is the optimal sign arrangement, IMHO.  One thing to remember about this section of CA 110 is that it's only 2 miles north of the actual 10/110 interchange; the control city of San Bernardino (and, IIRC, Santa Ana as well) is posted there.  Downtown L.A. traffic getting on NB 110 these days is more likely to stay on 110 north toward NB I-5 or turn north on US 101 toward Hollywood and the San Fernando Valley; if they're heading (cardinal direction) SB on US 101 toward the San Bernardino Split, they're likely to get on that freeway near the Civic Center rather than head due west only to make a U-turn east (unless they're somewhere around Figueroa anyway!).  Control cities for SB 101 at that point are hardly necessary -- at least since the traffic reports reference the route number rather than the freeway name (which in this instance coincides with the control city) -- and since neither of the destination freeways are 101 (it's merely a means to an end at this point!), even that number is functionally superfluous except for identification of what is essentially a very long ramp! 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.