News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

FYA comes to Massachusetts

Started by roadman, December 11, 2014, 01:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

freebrickproductions

Cool. I was wondering if MA was using the FYA, now I know!
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

roadman

Quote from: freebrickproductions on December 11, 2014, 01:33:05 PM
Fixed it for you. :)
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

freebrickproductions

Quote from: roadman on December 11, 2014, 02:08:27 PM
I'm from the south. We don't know the abbreviations for the states in the north as well as y'all do. :bigass: I also blame it on being tired during this part of the day.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

adventurernumber1

Quote from: freebrickproductions on December 11, 2014, 02:17:45 PM
I'm from the south. We don't know the abbreviations for the states in the north as well as y'all do. :bigass: I also blame it on being tired during this part of the day.

Haha. One time on a thread on here (forgot which), I said Arkansas State Route something, and instead of AR SR, it was AK SR. It was actually on the post for a really long time then I looked back on it and realized it needed to be corrected. For some time I actually thought Arkansas' abbreviation was AK instead of AR. :rofl:

Sorry Alaska  :)

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

roadman

No problem.

Zeffy

I called Kentucky "KT" instead of "KY" once, too. It happens. Mostly because Kentucky is part of an area that I'm not familiar with, so sometimes I may slip (though now I double-check what I'm posting before I post it unless I'm too tired to care).
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

ne11931

I went through that intersection on Route 110 westbound last night at 5:30, it was backed up for close to a mile because the signal was malfunctioning. There was a Mass DOT employee working at the controller. The signal was giving us a left green arrow 110 west to 119 east (no flashing yellow observed) but would not give us a green for a through  movement.

spooky

cl94

Per this site, they're converting all left-turn doghouses to FYAs beginning next year. First time I've seen a state suggest that.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

ne11931

Quote from: ne11931 on December 12, 2014, 07:11:00 AM
I went through that intersection on Route 110 westbound last night at 5:30, it was backed up for close to a mile because the signal was malfunctioning. There was a Mass DOT employee working at the controller. The signal was giving us a left green arrow 110 west to 119 east (no flashing yellow observed) but would not give us a green for a through  movement.

I went through again today (Saturday 12/13/14) and the flashing yellow has been "bagged" so it looks like they jumped the gun on the announcement. Also the flashing yellow has only been installed on the Route 110 traffic signals, not the Route 119 signals which are still normal left turn doghouses.

spooky

Quote from: cl94 on December 12, 2014, 06:33:33 PM
Per this site, they're converting all left-turn doghouses to FYAs beginning next year. First time I've seen a state suggest that.

All state-owned left-turn doghouses. A subtle but significant difference in how prevalent the FYA will be in the Commonwealth.

ne11931

Quote from: ne11931 on December 13, 2014, 07:37:03 PM
Quote from: ne11931 on December 12, 2014, 07:11:00 AM

I went through again today (Saturday 12/13/14) and the flashing yellow has been "bagged" so it looks like they jumped the gun on the announcement. Also the flashing yellow has only been installed on the Route 110 traffic signals, not the Route 119 signals which are still normal left turn doghouses.

I went through early this morning (Wednesday 12/17/14)the bags have been removed and the flashing yellow has also now been installed on the Route 119 signals. It appeared to be working properly at that time.

southshore720

Massachusetts is jumping on the bandwagon!

https://blog.mass.gov/transportation/massdot-highway/massdot-new-traffic-signal-technology/

Goodbye doghouse displays!  I actually prefer the doghouse displays and don't know if the flashing yellow is going to make much more of a difference.

Pete from Boston

southshore720

Thanks...didn't see that thread...the moderator can merge them.

Zeffy

Quote from: southshore720 on December 19, 2014, 12:52:23 AM
Thanks...didn't see that thread...the moderator can merge them.

Done, and I also moved this thread into the Northeast board since it's mostly Massachusetts-centric.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

connroadgeek

Couldn't the FYA and steady yellow arrow use the same lamp? Why must there be separate lights for an arrow of the same color that flashes vs. steady?

roadman

Quote from: connroadgeek on December 19, 2014, 07:29:09 PM
Couldn't the FYA and steady yellow arrow use the same lamp? Why must there be separate lights for an arrow of the same color that flashes vs. steady?
I believe this is so approaching drivers can more easily distinguish between the flashing and steady arrows at a glance.  Also, using the same lamp for flashing and steady yellow arrow may not be feasible with current malfunction management units (aka conflict monitors).

Oops - should've read this before responding.  http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/resources/interim_approval/ia17/index.htm

Apparently using a single display for both flashing and steady yellow arrow is now allowed by FHWA.

southshore720

That would be helpful to modify the existing doghouses instead of replacing the entire unit with a single 4-bulb structure.  MassDOT doesn't like to spend any more money than it has to!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.