The Most Vital Highway to your State

Started by OCGuy81, December 19, 2014, 04:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

For WI - I-94 with I-90 a close second.  I-94 connects Mad-Town to Beer-Town to the Windy City and the Twins.  at the NW split in Tomah, the traffic favors 94, it's a tie at the other end (thanks to Mad-town being right next to it). US(I)-41 also is there and contents with I-90.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

bulldog1979

Quote from: keithvh on December 19, 2014, 09:29:13 PM
Quote from: GaryV on December 19, 2014, 07:17:09 PM
Michigan:  I-94.  (Although others might argue for I-75, but really all that does is connect Up North and Down South with Detroit.)

I'd go I-75 for Michigan simply because of the Mackinac Bridge.  Literally the one road connection for 10% of the state's population to the other 90%.

I'd argue that if it weren't for the Mackinac Bridge, the UP may have actually succeeded at seceding at some point. It's kept the two peninsulas connected for 57 years now.

bugo

Arkansas: I-40
Oklahoma: the US 66 corridor. 

SD Mapman

Quote from: keithvh on December 19, 2014, 09:29:13 PM
South Dakota: I-29.  Even over I-90, just because eastern SD is more of the economic engine of the state.
Having driven both, there is more traffic on I-90 than I-29, so I'll have to go with that.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

TheHighwayMan3561

Minnesota's is probably I-94 because it's the route between Minneapolis and St. Paul, but you could also argue against it because US 10 generally parallels it and is built to expressway standards for 90% of its length northwest of the Twin Cities so it could probably (though not ideally) handle an I-94 emergency for a short period. I-35 doesn't really have that luxury; expressway-grade routes US 169 (for north of the Twin Cities) and US 52 (south of MSP) are too far away to be effective detours.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

tidecat

Quote from: hbelkins on December 19, 2014, 07:04:02 PM
In Kentucky, I-65 carries more truck traffic than any other interstate, so I'd say it would get the nomination from most folks. Myself, I'd lean to I-64 because it links the state's two biggest cities and the state capital.

I'd echo I-65 for Kentucky.  US 31E, US 31W, and KY 61 are completely incapable of handling I-65's traffic volume.  If I-64 didn't exist, most non-local traffic in Kentucky would probably use US 150 to US 60 or KY 148 (to KY 44 and eventually US 62).  If I-64 didn't exist it would probably also cut down on most of the cross-river commuting between Kentucky and Indiana.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

froggie

Quote from: Pink Jazz
Quote from: Takumi
I-95 for Virginia.

I would say it is a tossup between I-95 and I-64.  Sure, I-95 connects Richmond to DC (indirectly via I-395), but I-64 connects Richmond to Hampton Roads and Charlottesville, and Hampton Roads is Virginia's second largest metro area after the DC area.  The bulk of VDOT's funding goes to the Northern Virginia and Hampton Roads districts.

I think a stronger argument could be made for I-81 over I-64, given the volume of industry, shipping, and trucking along I-81.  Remember, the OP also noted economic impact to the state, and I'd even argue that I-81 rivals I-95 in that regard.

For Minnesota, I'd say it's a toss-up between I-35 and I-94.  Mississippi would be a toss-up between I-20 and I-55 (I'd lean towards I-20).  Alabama is definitely I-65.  Vermont is definitely I-89.

xcellntbuy

Quote from: froggie on December 21, 2014, 11:03:47 AM
I-95 for Virginia.

I would say it is a tossup between I-95 and I-64.  Sure, I-95 connects Richmond to DC (indirectly via I-395), but I-64 connects Richmond to Hampton Roads and Charlottesville, and Hampton Roads is Virginia's second largest metro area after the DC area.  The bulk of VDOT's funding goes to the Northern Virginia and Hampton Roads districts.

I think a stronger argument could be made for I-81 over I-64, given the volume of industry, shipping, and trucking along I-81.  Remember, the OP also noted economic impact to the state, and I'd even argue that I-81 rivals I-95 in that regard.

For Minnesota, I'd say it's a toss-up between I-35 and I-94.  Mississippi would be a toss-up between I-20 and I-55 (I'd lean towards I-20).  Alabama is definitely I-65.  Vermont is definitely I-89.

Interstate 81 is definitely far more important than Interstate 64 in Virginia.  The truck traffic volume is extremely high, the route is extremely efficient time-wise for travel and parallels an important rail freight corridor complimenting the commercial traffic emphasis of I-81.  Interstate 64 is important for it serves the Richmond to Norfolk/Newport News corridor, but its western Virginia sections are much more quiet.

SignGeek101

I'd say PR 75 to the border (connects to I-29) in ND. It's the main route for both trucks. Winnipeg is a large bus manufacturer. Also, many people prefer to shop in the US due to cheaper prices there, which supports the economy of Grand Forks.

I guess TCH 1 is a close second though.

Lyon Wonder

I think I-55 is the most important interstate in Illinois since it connects St Louis with Chicago.

Scott5114

It's hard to say in Oklahoma because our three main Interstate highways are important for different reasons.

I-35 is important because it links Oklahoma City to Dallas, the largest adjoining metro area.
I-40 is important because it brings cross-country traffic through the state.
I-44 is important because it links Oklahoma's three largest metro areas, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, and Lawton.

Which is most vital depends on what sort of scale you're looking at.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

wriddle082

I-40 is definitely the most vital in Tennessee.  Connects the three largest metro areas, and has the highest interstate mile marker east of the Mississippi (452).

I-24 would be second, since it links the 4th (Chattanooga), 6th (Murfreesboro), and 5th (Clarksville) largest cities in the state with Nashville.

hbelkins

If you're talking about a route's importance only within the state, then for Kentucky I'd have to go with I-64 over I-65.

And concerning Virginia, is I-81 really more important within the state than 64 or 95? It's a huge interstate freight route (ditto 65 in Kentucky) but would Virginia really suffer if I-81 was removed?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

QuoteAnd concerning Virginia, is I-81 really more important within the state than 64 or 95? It's a huge interstate freight route (ditto 65 in Kentucky) but would Virginia really suffer if I-81 was removed?

Pretty much the entire western half of the state would suffer if I-81 was removed.  Yes, I-81 is a huge interstate freight route, but a HUGE amount of that freight has origin or destination within Virginia.  There's a large volume of industry and warehousing along the corridor.  I'd say without a doubt that it's more important than I-64.

US 41

I-65 in Indiana. It connects Louisville, Indy, and Chicago.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

gonealookin

In Nevada, clearly I-15 between Primm and Las Vegas.  Full wallets in the northbound lanes, empty wallets in the southbound lanes.

SSOWorld

I'll toss in Illinois and Iowa.  I-80 tops them all of as it is a XC route that carries a high amount of trucks as well as cross country folk.  I-35 is fairly important to Iowa having connctions to KC and MSP.

Illinois has LOTS of vital highways. Any, seriously ANY interstate that goes into Chicago is a vital route as Chicago is an economic hub so that puts 94 (to Milwaukee), 90 (to Rockford, Madison), 80 (to Iowa), 55 (To St Louis) and 57 (beyond StL) around the horn onto the map (along with 80/94 into Indiana (but not so much the Skyway due to the tolls).  Sorry 88, but I-80 does essentially what you do - for free.

Outside Chicago the most vital highway I would say is - ironically - I-39 - as it gives Wisconsin freight and travelers shortcuts to St Louis and points beyond on a freeway without Chicago in the way. 

For southern Illinois, 57 gives city free access to Memphis via 55 and Nashville via 24 (though one could also take 65 via Indy to get to the latter.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Pete from Boston

The question assumes "state" is a discreet entity with a hierarchy of importance.  But states, of course, are all arranged differently, with different geography, population distributions, etc.  If the question is "Most vital to the most people in the state," the answer is in some cases different than "Most vital to most of the area of the state."

Under the latter, it's unquestionably the Mass Pike here.  But if the former, 95 or even 93 enters the running.  In New York, the Thruway (arguably many different roads administrated separate from the rest, but whatever) meets the latter definition.  But if weighted for population, Upstate ceases to exist and I think it's 278 all the way.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: xcellntbuy on December 21, 2014, 03:31:14 PM
Quote from: froggie on December 21, 2014, 11:03:47 AM
I-95 for Virginia.

Interstate 81 is definitely far more important than Interstate 64 in Virginia.  The truck traffic volume is extremely high, the route is extremely efficient time-wise for travel and parallels an important rail freight corridor complimenting the commercial traffic emphasis of I-81.  Interstate 64 is important for it serves the Richmond to Norfolk/Newport News corridor, but its western Virginia sections are much more quiet.

Funding-wise, I-81 doesn't go through any of the districts that VDOT considers to be its top priorities (Northern Virginia and Hampton Roads).  VDOT has allocated a significant portion of funding specifically for those two districts that the other districts lack (not even the Richmond district).  Money talks, and this is a sign that VDOT considers I-64 to be more important than I-81 because I-64 serves one of VDOT's highest priority districts.

jwolfer

Florida I would say 95 since it links the Southeast coast and Jacksonville with points to northeast. Southeast Florida has large population and Jax is important for commerce and military. Similar argument could be made for 75 with its links to Tampa bay. I-4 could come in linking coasts with Orlando. But I think 75/95 are more important based on truck traffic. All the roads carry tourists . 10 is essentially a rural interstate outside Jacksonville, really the only part that I have seen high traffic volumes is east of 75.

Its a tie for 75/95 I think

froggie

QuoteFunding-wise, I-81 doesn't go through any of the districts that VDOT considers to be its top priorities (Northern Virginia and Hampton Roads).  VDOT has allocated a significant portion of funding specifically for those two districts that the other districts lack (not even the Richmond district).  Money talks, and this is a sign that VDOT considers I-64 to be more important than I-81 because I-64 serves one of VDOT's highest priority districts.

Of course VDOT is going to throw money at Northern Virginia and Hampton Roads.  It's the two most populated areas of the state.  Doesn't mean that 64 or 95 or any of the multitude of state routes is any better as a result (I'd argue that 64 is even worse, having been stationed there twice as recently as this past May).

But the OP was looking at more than just population or traffic...he also specifically mentioned economic impact.  And I'd argue that 81 provides more economic impact to the state than 64.  If not for 81 and the industries along it, "RoVA" (rest of Virginia) would be leeching even more off of NoVA (Northern Virginia) than they already are...

OCGuy81

QuoteI-5 in Washington and Oregon - Without it it, it would take forever to get anywhere, all the truck traffic would be so dangerous.

I agree with Oregon, and the argument for Washington is valid, but I think with the latter, I'd have to go I-90, simply because it links Seattle with Spokane.  But it's close, really close in terms of which is more vital.

Bickendan

adventurernumber1

I second WashuOtaku with I-75 in Georgia. It's so important in fact that nearly all of I-75 in Georgia is continuously at least three lanes each way  ;-)
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

The Nature Boy

I'll provide the easiest answer (for a state I lived in):

New Hampshire has to be I-93, it connects Boston to Manchester to Concord and to the Lakes Region. I-89 really only connects Vermont to Concord and I-93.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.