News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Possible Double-deck overpass on the Kansas Turnpike

Started by route56, January 26, 2010, 03:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

route56

An image from the historical aerials site was brought up by Chris Knight via the Yahoo groups. He was perusing through historical aerial photos of the Kansas Turnpike when he discovered this gem:

http://www.historicaerials.com/?poi=9664

It appears, based on the 1959 images, that part of the Turnpike's overpass of Park Drive (which was also K-32 at the time) was double decked, with the westbound lanes above the eastbound lanes.

One thing is for certain: The Park Drive interchange has always been a folded diamond; however, the original orientation of the ramps is the reverse of the current orientation: i.e, the ramps were all on the north ans west side of the interchange. Also, there appears to be an apparent series of "slip ramps," one from the WB KTA off ramp to 38th, one from SB 38th to the WB KTA off-ramp (which merges onto WB Park), and one from SB 38th to the WB KTA on-ramp (which started at Park Drive and crossed *under* 38th)

Access to and from eastbound KTA was provided solely through Park Drive through a ramp similar to the one currently at I-435 and Lackman.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

mightyace

To me it looks like the picture you linked to was a construction picture because if you look at the 1966 picture the second bridge is there and the whole area looks much "cleaner."
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

route56

Quote from: mightyace on January 26, 2010, 04:59:43 PM
To me it looks like the picture you linked to was a construction picture because if you look at the 1966 picture the second bridge is there and the whole area looks much "cleaner."

If the date was correct, the turnpike would have been open to traffic, and the aerials would not have been of the initial phase of construction. Chris did mention that parts of the Turnpike in KC had to be reconstructed due to sinkholes.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

mightyace

Quote from: route56 on January 26, 2010, 07:10:49 PM
If the date was correct, the turnpike would have been open to traffic, and the aerials would not have been of the initial phase of construction. Chris did mention that parts of the Turnpike in KC had to be reconstructed due to sinkholes.

In that case, I don't know.  The images aren't high enough resolution, IMHO, to know exactly what is going on there.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Revive 755

Looks like there are vehicles entering or staying the Turnpike EB just before the bridge, and I'm not seeing any crossovers.  Plus the shadows at the bridge seem to indicate two levels.  But it seems like an odd spot for a double deck structure; I don't see any obvious ROW constraints.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.