News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Longest Distance On A Mileage Sign?

Started by Bigmikelakers, April 10, 2011, 02:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eagle14410

Here is a pic of the one I saw on US 97:

roadman65

No one brought up the fact at both ends of US 50 there are mileage signs for the other ends of the cross country highway.
In Key West back in 1990 FDOT had a sign mentioning the end of US 1 in Fort Kent, ME, but no mileage. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

KEK Inc.

Quote from: roadman65 on March 26, 2012, 07:45:12 PM
No one brought up the fact at both ends of US 50 there are mileage signs for the other ends of the cross country highway.
In Key West back in 1990 FDOT had a sign mentioning the end of US 1 in Fort Kent, ME, but no mileage.  
Actually, 2 people did, but noone posted a picture about it, so here we go!  (Edit:  One of the people was you.  :P)

California End:

Maryland End:
Take the road less traveled.

Mark68

Quote from: Bigmikelakers on April 11, 2011, 10:58:25 AM
Quote from: Quillz on April 11, 2011, 06:02:45 AM
The technical reason is almost assuredly because Salt Lake City is the largest city encountered on I-15 after Las Vegas. In fact, between the two cities, there's really very little except for roadside stops and the I-70 junction.

What about St George?

I'm guessing that when the sign originally was installed, St George wasn't much to speak of. I know that when I went thru there as a kid in 1984, there probably wasn't a 10k population. I know it's different now, but once you cross Cajon Pass, the two largest cities encountered (by far) on I-15 would be SLC & Vegas.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

Bickendan

One I'd love to see:
In Weed, CA --
Klamath Falls 70/112
Bend 207/331
Watson Lake, YT 2033/3253

realjd

I like it when they sign the distance to the end of the highway from the start. Like this beast of a mileage at the start of US-192:

Totally a gimmick sign, right?

Scott5114

Pff. As if someone would name something "Kissimmee".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 29, 2012, 04:27:11 PM
Pff. As if someone would name something "Kissimmee".

nah the dead giveaway is the 2. nothing is 2 miles away from something else anymore.  that's a throwback, like putting the state name on a US route marker.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Kissimmee's not the end of US 192.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman65

Actually US 46 almost does it (of did) at its western terminus in Columbia, NJ.  It used Palisades Park which is one community before Fort Lee where the eastern terminus is mid span on the George Washington Bridge.  NJDOT did this as many state routes would used their ending as a final control point on milage signs erected in 98.  They consider the part of US 46 concurrent with US 1 & 9 as US 1 for their paperwork (hence using US 1's milemarkers on the triplex) even though it is called Route 46 by many and on radio traffic reports.

Even US 9 uses Woodbridge as control point on mileage signs that is the place where it becomes concurrent with US 1 into NY State. Again, US 9's own mileposts end at US 1 like US 46's does as US 1 dominates all its concurrencies.

One place that used to have its ending place as a control city is US 130 at its northern beginning where prior to the construction of the interchange that is now there had a sign that state 83 miles to Pennsville just south of US 1.  The project manager did not have the signs erected again post project.  However, the south end of US 130 may still have a sign the other way for New Brunswick just north of its start in Pennsville or even further north in Deepwater still near its terminus.  I am not sure on this one, but was saddened when I went by and saw the other signs removed.  NJ for some reason does that after construction projects like at two places on US 9 where the roads were improved and mileage signs that once stood were permanately removed.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

sp_redelectric

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 29, 2012, 04:44:41 PMnah the dead giveaway is the 2. nothing is 2 miles away from something else anymore.

There's a sign on S.W. Barbur Boulevard (former Oregon/U.S. 99W) in S.W. Portland that is "Tigard 1, McMinnville 31".  It's located right on the Barbur/Capitol/Taylors Ferry overpass over I-5.  The sign was replaced a few years ago and is relatively new.

What's really remarkable is that the distance for Tigard is incorrect - after one mile, you still haven't left the City of Portland.  The distance to Tigard city limits is 1.4 miles (I guess if you round 1.4 you get 1) but to get to downtown Tigard is is 2.96 miles (as measured by Google Earth).

I wish ODOT would use a real control city for I-84 signage within Portland instead of The Dalles, or have at least one distance sign that would read Boise and Ogden (or Salt Lake City)

Interstatefan78

Even both US-22 and I-78 in NJ says Newark 58 from the PA state line in Phillipsburg, NJ , but it's Phillipsburg 58 on their NJDOT Maintained eastern ends in Newark

DBR96A

At the western end of the Pennsylvania Turnpike, I'd like to see a mileage sign like this:

Pittsburgh 47
Harrisburg 244
Philadelphia 344

At the eastern end of the Pennsylvania Turnpike, I'd like to see a mileage sign like this:

Philadelphia 26*
Harrisburg 116
Pittsburgh 316

(*: Subject to change with the completion of the Pennsylvania Turnpike/I-95 interchange.)

:nod:

DandyDan

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 10, 2011, 10:51:58 PM

I-70 used to have, and may still have, a sign near Topeka giving the distance to Denver as 560 miles.

I just drove I-70 between KCK and Topeka over the weekend, and it's still there, only it's just west of the US 59 south exit in Lawrence.  Sorry, but no photo (it was dark when I drove past it).
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

mwb1848

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

cbeach40

This thread may have provided some inspiration for this sign being ordered. It's just north of the southern end of Hwy 11 near Barrie.

and waterrrrrrr!

Dr Frankenstein

Exhibit 1.
Quote from: cbeach40 on July 15, 2014, 10:49:10 AMThis thread may have provided some inspiration for this sign being ordered.

Exhibit 2.
The user's profile bears a "DOT Employee" badge.

Exhibit 3.
The sign is so freshly installed on the photo that there's wood shavings around the posts.

Conclusion:
I see what you did there. I'm impressed.

Scott5114

jakeroot

^^^ Does this mark the first direct influence AARoads has had on a real road? Serious question.

leroys73

Quote from: Bigmikelakers on April 10, 2011, 02:12:42 PM
Actually this is the longest distance I've seen on a mileage sign now that I think about it. But, its not an "official" mileage sign though.

Interstate 40 Needles Freeway Eastbound In Barstow by bigmikelakers, on Flickr

Looks official to me.
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

leroys73

Quote from: sglaughlin on April 10, 2011, 11:12:34 PM
I think there is one goint west bound on I-10 as you enter Texas from Lousiana which lists El Paso at around 878 miles.

Yep
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

Scott5114

Quote from: jake on July 15, 2014, 05:48:22 PM
^^^ Does this mark the first direct influence AARoads has had on a real road? Serious question.

If you drop into the Mid-South section of the forum, you'll see an Arkansas Highway & Transportation Department rep that posts quite often. US 71 has mentioned some sign errors in the past that they've corrected. AlpsRoads worked on a project for NJTP that will result in their transitioning to signage standards closer to the MUTCD.

If you cast a more general net and look for instances of individual AARoads members getting things changed through direct contact with DOTs, you can find many more instances. I spotted a couple of typos on a KDOT sign plan sheet linked on the forum, and shot an email off to them about it. They never answered, but a change order was attached to the plan sheets shortly thereafter.

bulldog1979

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 16, 2014, 05:40:52 AM

If you drop into the Mid-South section of the forum, you'll see an Arkansas Highway & Transportation Department rep that posts quite often. US 71 has mentioned some sign errors in the past that they've corrected. AlpsRoads worked on a project for NJTP that will result in their transitioning to signage standards closer to the MUTCD.

If you cast a more general net and look for instances of individual AARoads members getting things changed through direct contact with DOTs, you can find many more instances. I spotted a couple of typos on a KDOT sign plan sheet linked on the forum, and shot an email off to them about it. They never answered, but a change order was attached to the plan sheets shortly thereafter.

I won't lay direct claim to it, but I had noted in the Great Lakes Roads Yahoo! Group that there wasn't a 45th Parallel sign for I-75 southbound near Gaylord after one of my trips through the area. By the next time I was on that section of freeway, a sign was posted. There have been a few different MDOT employees who have frequented the group, so it's possible.

cbeach40

Maybe not direct per se, but a definite influence. ;)

Certainly some motivation for sure.
and waterrrrrrr!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.