Sad news to report - MSR maps (the original Microsoft Terraserver) is going away

Started by mgk920, March 28, 2012, 12:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

Effective 2012-05-01, MSR Maps http://msrmaps.com/default.aspx , the original Microsoft Terraserver pannable and zoomable USGS topographic map server, a great resource that I continue to make extensive use of in my Yellowstone Trail historic route research, as well as with unrelated highway upgrade musings and presentations to various highway authorities, will be going off-line and cease to exist.

:no:

:-(

The USGS told me in an email a few days ago that the MSR map database is on their National Map Viewer, but from what I was able to poke around on for the short time that I had a couple of days ago, it's interface isn't as slick and easy to use as the original and I will likely have to get a new, larger monitor to take the same style screen shots that were so simple and straightforward with the MSR version.  (Due to very limited space, I have a very small monitor on my computer system.)

Life goes on, I guess.

:no:

Mike

Alps

mgk920

Quote from: Steve on March 28, 2012, 12:05:36 AM
mapper.acme.com retains your zoomable USGS functionality.

Thanx.  I'll see what I can do with it.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.