News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Some things to ponder

Started by hm insulators, August 18, 2016, 05:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

Do a trillion (10^12) microphones make up a megaphone?
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

hm insulators

Why in the vacuum-cleaner ads does the cord stay meekly and obediently out of the way but when I vacuum the apartment, the cord insists on horning in on the job and it takes a minimum of one hand to hold the cord out of the way so I don't trip over the damn thing?
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

sparker

A pickup line guaranteed to get you roundly slapped immediately:

"Nice legs!  What time do they open?"

(courtesy of a close friend who's going through a very bitter divorce)

J N Winkler

Quote from: hm insulators on February 09, 2017, 04:24:11 PMWhy in the vacuum-cleaner ads does the cord stay meekly and obediently out of the way but when I vacuum the apartment, the cord insists on horning in on the job and it takes a minimum of one hand to hold the cord out of the way so I don't trip over the damn thing?

Two observations:

*  Commercials are almost certainly choreographed (observe cord dress)

*  Most vacuum cleaners have a cord clip underneath the handle that you are supposed to use to avoid stepping on the cord (not that I use it, personally)

When I am vacuuming an oblong space, like a hallway that leads to bedrooms, I often stop midway through just to pull a length of the cord back so that the majority is sitting next to the outlet, away from feet that might step on it.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cjk374

Have the bands Kansas & Toto ever toured together? If they did, would they let Ozzy Osborne join them & name their tour "The Wizard of Oz tour"?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

amroad17

Quote from: cjk374 on February 24, 2017, 06:56:31 PM
Have the bands Kansas & Toto ever toured together? If they did, would they let Ozzy Osborne join them & name their tour "The Wizard of Oz tour"?
Nice one!  :-D
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

OracleUsr

I asked this when I turned 40...what kind of wine goes with Metamucil (my mother thought I was asking a riddle rather than poking fun at people who ask what kind of wine goes with different things, and a play on George Carlin's famous question, what kind of wine goes with Cap'n Crunch?)

Observation.  You do realize that the cheese wheel from the Cheez-it commercials is immature as a method of survival, right?
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

cjk374

Quote from: OracleUsr on February 26, 2017, 05:17:01 AM
Observation.  You do realize that the cheese wheel from the Cheez-it commercials is immature as a method of survival, right?

This is also true of us who are approaching the crest of the hill. I tell everyone that I refuse to age. I try to do fun things that seem immature but it helps me feel a bit younger. I try to ignore the signs of aging. However, I have to stay aware of the changes so I can try to stay ahead of any possible problems.

I'm 43 now...I tell people I plan on living til I am around 120 (if Jacob can do it, so can I  :bigass:). But I want my old age to be active, not sedentary in a bed waiting to die.  So I will continue to do things that make me feel young until I can't do anything at all.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.