The use of "Severe Tire Damage" spike barriers

Started by I-39, January 13, 2017, 07:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-39

Since this is a road forum, I am curious to know how often people see "Severe Tire Damage" spike barriers (the things that shred your tires if you go the wrong way into or out of someplace). I know they are still used almost universally at airport rental car lots, but I don't see them very often in places outside of that.

I know they are common (or at least once were fairly common) on the west coast (particularly in California, I see them fairly often when I'm out there), but outside of there, I only see them occasionally elsewhere in the country. Since they seem to be common in California, I wonder if it was once a rule there that they had to be installed in certain situations? 

Where do you see Severe Tire Damage spike barriers, if you do at all?

Big John

I've seen them at parking lot entrances, where they force you to get to the pay booth to exit.

briantroutman

I've also seen them at some gated apartment/townhouse-type communities where there's one manned guard shack at the front of the complex and a few unmanned exit only gates at the back or sides of the property. The spike strips prevent someone from doing a wrong-way piggyback entrance into the complex when a resident exits.

There was another thread about techniques for preventing wrong way drivers on freeways, and I believe someone suggesting that they could be used on freeway offramps to stop errant drivers. But I also recall someone else asserting that they only work (for right-way drivers) at a very low speed and would likely shed the tires of people going the proper direction.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

J N Winkler

Quote from: briantroutman on January 13, 2017, 08:07:08 PMThere was another thread about techniques for preventing wrong way drivers on freeways, and I believe someone suggesting that they could be used on freeway offramps to stop errant drivers. But I also recall someone else asserting that they only work (for right-way drivers) at a very low speed and would likely shed the tires of people going the proper direction.

Thinking of this one?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

3web

I've only seen two of them before; one, at a hospital parking garage, and another at an apartment parking lot.
Who knows where the road goes? Of course! Google maps!

doorknob60

noelbotevera

Better than this:

I've actually never seen them. Usually, they use barriers/gates, or a simple "WRONG WAY" sign.

sparker

They're pretty common around these parts, especially in regards to hotels (such as those near SFO airport) that regularly host events such as conferences and trade shows and want to ensure that the participants (or anyone issuing validations) pay the full parking ticket -- even if the event is at an adjoining hotel.  Also -- our local county medical center here in SJ, which is undergoing a major expansion, has been installing spikes in all the new parking facilities even though the original multi-level parking garage lacked them (sign of the times, I guess!). 

jeffandnicole

I think they were more common in the past out east, at least in the Philly area. They don't seem to be installed all that often anymore, with gates used in favor of spikes. 

As far as highways go, another issue is when a car goes over them, it basically disables that car on the spot unless the driver has the ability to think clearly and move over to the side.  And the faster a vehicle drives over them, it could potentially go out of control.  It also prevents emergency vehicles from going the wrong way down the ramp when needed.  In the end, I think they determined any benefit of stopping a wrong-way vehicle was undermined by the fact they would also cause accidents as well and restrict emergency access when needed.

paulthemapguy

I see them at the parking lots of rental car joints, to forbid customers from entering the exit side of the lot, so as to avoid being seen.  These rental car places make it very clear where the entrance and exit of their lot is...so no one can sneak in the back way without paying or something.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

sbeaver44

It's either MD or NYC (and I'm almost sure the latter) that I've seen them at toll booths with the sign "Do Not Back Up - Severe Tire Damage". I want to say the Throgs Neck Bridge tolls have them.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: sbeaver44 on March 20, 2017, 08:37:26 PM
It's either MD or NYC (and I'm almost sure the latter) that I've seen them at toll booths with the sign "Do Not Back Up - Severe Tire Damage". I want to say the Throgs Neck Bridge tolls have them.

Maryland's toll plazas don't have them.

Duke87

Quote from: sbeaver44 on March 20, 2017, 08:37:26 PM

The signs you are thinking of say "Do Not Back Up - 2 Pt Summons". There are no spikes, this is purely a legal prohibition. Albeit one you have a very high risk of getting a ticket for violating since TBTA's toll booths have a continuous presence of multiple police officers.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

cl94

I've seen them at a couple of car rental lots in the NYC area. The Hertz across from the North White Plains station has them.

Only place I have driven through a spike area is at the Alewife parking garage. Spikes at the entrance to prevent people from exiting without paying.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

J N Winkler

I remember spike barriers being in use at the Mariposa POE near Nogales, where the apparent intent is to prevent people from reversing back into Mexico without clearing US Customs.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

SteveG1988

I saw one at a customer i picked up rice at in Jonesboro AR. Severe tire damage on a truck gate. Not a smart idea, what if the truck rolls back or has transmission issues
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

thenetwork

The tire spikes were a rarity when I lived out in the Midwest and now when I am in Colorado.  I think a lot has to do with the winter weather -- snow and ice could easily accumulate in the recessed areas where the spikes get pushed into when a car crosses them in the correct way.  Any build-up could prevent the spikes from lowering properly and could snag a tire that is going in the correct direction.

That being said, and going back to the Midwest, the only places outside of some airport rental car lots I saw them were at the exits to several Drive-In Theaters.  And since they are usually closed in the winter, using the severe tire damage spikes there was OK.

abefroman329

I see barriers at car rental agencies a lot more than I see spikes.  Which is weird; you'd think that, if they were trying to prevent people from stealing cars, they'd prefer to replace 4 tires to having to replace the entire car.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.