News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Have you ever met a pirate?

Started by bandit957, February 02, 2017, 04:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Arrrrr!

Have you ever met a pirate (the cool kind)?

I don't mean someone wearing a pirate costume on Halloween. I mean an actual pirate!

Unfortunately, as a landlocked Midwesterner, I don't think I've ever met one.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

kkt

I had an uncle who used to tape movies of the air and give them as Christmas presents.

Buck87

Max Rockatansky

Are drug smugglers off the Florida Coast considered for the purpose of this thread to be "pirates?"  If so then yes and I'll add there wasn't much cool about them.  If this is limited to raiding boats and ships exclusively then no.  Also you didn't really specify if the Pirates had to be of the watery variety.  Would not software piracy technically fall under the fringe definition then?

bandit957

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 02, 2017, 05:51:01 PM
Are drug smugglers off the Florida Coast considered for the purpose of this thread to be "pirates?"  If so then yes and I'll add there wasn't much cool about them.  If this is limited to raiding boats and ships exclusively then no.  Also you didn't really specify if the Pirates had to be of the watery variety.  Would not software piracy technically fall under the fringe definition then?

I mean the "Arrrrr!" kind.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: bandit957 on February 02, 2017, 06:16:25 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 02, 2017, 05:51:01 PM

I don't think even the Pirates on the African Coast the old school bucaneer variety you're looking for.  It would seem that being akin to say a Captain Barbosa is no longer in vogue.

I mean the "Arrrrr!" kind.

Takumi

I may or may not have met someone who played for for the Pittsburgh Pirates.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

corco

I was a pirate from 1999-2002 or so.

slorydn1

Every time I head up to Greenville for an ECU football game.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

nexus73

There are plenty of "pirates" or as us North Bend Bulldogs call them, pitrats, across town at Marshfield HS, so called because the original name of Coos Bay OR was Marshfield.  We're friendly rivals these days.  That is the HS from which Steve Prefontaine came from.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Buck87

Well if we're going to start including school mascots, I've met Pirates from Perkins Township, Rocky River and Wheelersburg.

jakeroot

If you mean the Jack Sparrow kind, no. And I don't think anyone has. Those kinds of pirates have been non-existent for many, many decades, if not centuries.

Modern day pirates roam the sea in inflatable boats, sneaking up on large tankers around shipping channels.

The idea of a pirate is still a very real thing, but they don't walk around in big silly hats with a peg-leg, wielding swords and forcing their enemies to walk the plank.

corco

QuoteThe idea of a pirate is still a very real thing, but they don't walk around in big silly hats with a peg-leg, wielding swords and forcing their enemies to walk the plank.

The best ones still do - they just haven't been caught yet.

hbelkins

I downloaded music from Napster, if that counts.  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.