News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Bicycle riders

Started by inkyatari, February 20, 2017, 09:30:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inkyatari

Who else are bicycle riders in here?  What are your goals for this year?

Last year I rode 1100 miles, this year I plan on 1500 miles.  Maybe more if this good weather holds out.

I ride a 2012 Trek FX 7.1 hybrid.  I rode three charity events last year..  Bike MS Tour DeFarms in DeKalb, IL (75 miles first day, 15 miles the second), the Lupus Wolf Ride Gran Fondo in Columbia IL (54 miles), and the Tour of Scenic Ogle County in Oregon, IL(64 miles). Some non charity rides I ride are the Folks on SPokes Easter ride, the Joliet Bicycle Club 4th of July ride, and my favorite, the Bike Psychos Century.  I want to do the Bicycle ILlinois ride from Cairo to Chicago, but not until I can get a road cycle.

I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

kphoger

I've ridden my bicycle less and less every year for the last ten or twelve years.

My goal this year is to go on rides with my eldest son, who is nine years old.  He got decent at riding last year, so this would be a good year to start making a regular thing of it.

My bike is a hybrid too.  It's a Gary Fisher from the 90s with aftermarket non-indexed shifting.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

I don't get out on mine very often, in part because my wife does not have a bike. I've thought about giving her my Dahon folding bike and getting a different one for myself, but we haven't done that yet. She's always been uncomfortable with hand brakes and that's a major problem!

What I'd really like is a recumbent trike, but they're expensive and I'm not sure how I'd fit one into the garage. I really liked the ones I rode at Bikes at Vienna (local bike shop).

My brother is big into cycling, commutes 14 miles each way by bike most days as long as the wind chill is above about —10°F. Haven't talked to him much lately, though, because around the time of the Super Bowl earlier this month I got tired of his NE2-style rants about Trump voters when the topic was completely unrelated to politics (I didn't vote for Trump, BTW) and I made a crack about how he should seek refugee status in Libya or Somalia since he's unhappy here. Haven't heard from him since. He did charity bike rides from Pittsburgh to DC in 2014 and 2015, at least I think it was those years. I'd like to be able to do something like that sometime. When we were growing up we did a lot of riding to earn the Cycling merit badge as Boy Scouts and we always enjoyed it. Riding in the DC area is a little different now, though, compared to the 1980s. On the one hand, there are way more cyclists on the road, but on the other hand, drivers are a lot more aggressive than they used to be.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

I have a desk job, and I've been feeling the need to be more physically active.  My wife and I both felt better when we were jogging a couple times a week and doing Wii workouts as well.  I'm very skinny and in general good health, but there's just something wrong-feeling about a sedentary lifestyle.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on February 20, 2017, 12:38:05 PM
I have a desk job, and I've been feeling the need to be more physically active.  My wife and I both felt better when we were jogging a couple times a week and doing Wii workouts as well.  I'm very skinny and in general good health, but there's just something wrong-feeling about a sedentary lifestyle.

I know what you mean. I also have a very sedentary job. For the past two years I've generally commuted on the subway, which allows for what someone here on the forum called "stealth exercise" in the form of the walk to and from the train. Unfortunately, my office moved this winter and my old half-mile walk each way is now a piddly 0.3 miles. On days when we drive it's actually better because we park at my wife's office (better garage than at mine, plus easier to get to and from due to street layout) and I then walk 0.75 of a mile each way–or more if I finish work early (on Friday I had time to kill and so looped around past the White House to make it more like two miles). It just feels good to get out in the fresh air.

ET21

I haven't rode my bike in awhile. It's hanging in my garage and probably could use a tune-up and cleaning
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

frankenroad

I used to be an avid cyclist, often riding 75 or more miles on a weekend.   I also rode in a number of charity rides.   But all that was when I was in my 20s and 40s (I had little kids at home during my 30s), and now I'm 60 and my bike has hardly been used at all in the last two years.

I need to change that.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Max Rockatansky

A little backstory from the running thread where I mentioned getting hit twice by a car.  The first time was just a rolling stop out in Arizona where I just jumped on the hood, no big deal...at least to me.  The second time was on CA 75 in Coronado when I decided to go run in the middle of the day...big mistake.  I was on a cross walk on the south side of the three lane one-way road traveling east on the highway back to San Diego.  Apparently there was a break in the one-way traffic a driver saw and she gunned it through the stop sign and hit me on the other side. 

Needless to say I went flying, but at least saw the car at the last second to brace for impact.  I had several cracked ribs from the car hitting me and shattered my left arm upon landing in addition to carving up my face pretty good on the right side.  I was knocked out for a second but got up pretty quick and got out of the road.  I had my arm set at the hospital at UC San Diego but they told me that I would need to rest for two weeks to see if it would stay in place.

At the time I was running 60 miles a week and lifting six days...so sitting around was pretty must just pure agony.  I actually rode the exercise bike at the gym for 15 miles a day with my arm in a sling since it was stationary.  The bone in my left arm eventually started sliding out of place and had to be set with a 6 inch plate and 9 pins which actually was great since it was fused meant that I could get back to a routine in spite of needing rehab. 

After I actually picked up a street bike and started to train for distance riding.  I was up to a 35 mile ride once a week before I got bored with it and gave it up.  The trouble was that I couldn't find any really good roads near me that had long stretches without traffic lights which made things pretty boring. Plus I was already much better at running and it was certainly cheaper in addition to having more impact than the bike did.  Now that I'm back west I've always thought out getting a mountain bike but I can't ever seem to find anything that I can't do on foot. 

kphoger

I've been hit on my bike three times. Two were my own fault, and the third was someone running a stop sign into me. Interestingly, even though I used to wear helmet regularly back then, all three occurred when I wasn't wearing one.
Male pronouns, please.

inkyatari

I've never been hit, but I've gotten close.  I find motorcycle riders are the worst at creating dangerous situations for bicyclists.

briantroutman

Quote from: inkyatari on February 20, 2017, 09:30:45 AM
I ride a 2012 Trek FX 7.1 hybrid.

I have the very same bike–and I'm happy with it for the most part.

For the past few years, I've typically averaged about one hour–15-20 miles–of mostly bike path riding per day. Since I work from home, the daily bike ride is a welcome chance to get out of the house and get some exercise. When I lived in the San Francisco area and sometimes worked out of an office in the city, I loved biking to the ferry, taking my bike onboard, then riding to the office. Particularly considering S.F.'s "perpetual autumn"  climate, it may have been the perfect commute.

Anyway, all of my bike riding came to a crashing halt a year ago when my daughter was born. My wife (who also works from home) and I can't work simultaneously since one of us constantly needs to mind the baby. So if I had to list a goal for 2017, it would be to get a bicycle trailer.  That way, I can take my daughter along and get back into riding.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 20, 2017, 12:44:34 PM
Quote from: kphoger on February 20, 2017, 12:38:05 PM

I know what you mean. I also have a very sedentary job. For the past two years I've generally commuted on the subway, which allows for what someone here on the forum called "stealth exercise" in the form of the walk to and from the train. Unfortunately, my office moved this winter and my old half-mile walk each way is now a piddly 0.3 miles. On days when we drive it's actually better because we park at my wife's office (better garage than at mine, plus easier to get to and from due to street layout) and I then walk 0.75 of a mile each way–or more if I finish work early (on Friday I had time to kill and so looped around past the White House to make it more like two miles). It just feels good to get out in the fresh air.

A rare complaint, when someone's office moves closer to the Metro...

english si

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 20, 2017, 12:44:34 PMI know what you mean. I also have a very sedentary job. For the past two years I've generally commuted on the subway, which allows for what someone here on the forum called "stealth exercise" in the form of the walk to and from the train. Unfortunately, my office moved this winter and my old half-mile walk each way is now a piddly 0.3 miles.
Get out a stop earlier? Take a deliberately meandering route to travel further? Jog? OK, not so "stealth" exercise, but it's easily redeemable.

And, when you have time, you can do more epic walks. I've taken to, most times I've had something in London, travelling early and then walking anywhere up to 12-13 miles (more normally in the 6-8 mile range). I've linked it with my TravelMapping, and so it often means a second rail journey to avoid lots of walking on roads I've already done if I'm going somewhere central/regularly.

I used to be a keen cycle rider travelling everywhere within a dozen miles or so by bike and going on medium length bike rides for leisure, but a mix of lack of decent place to store it, and the place I had to store it giving it repeated punctures, meant I had to walk. And, at that time, my 3 mile walk to the city centre (several return trips/week) was rather pleasant - rather than cycling down the main road, I could walk through the park. I did end up having to leave much earlier though.

1995hoo

Quote from: english si on February 22, 2017, 03:18:45 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 20, 2017, 12:44:34 PMI know what you mean. I also have a very sedentary job. For the past two years I've generally commuted on the subway, which allows for what someone here on the forum called "stealth exercise" in the form of the walk to and from the train. Unfortunately, my office moved this winter and my old half-mile walk each way is now a piddly 0.3 miles.
Get out a stop earlier? Take a deliberately meandering route to travel further? Jog? OK, not so "stealth" exercise, but it's easily redeemable.

I thought about that, and it would have the added benefit that my wife gets off one stop earlier than I do (well, when the trains are in normal service....this month and next our line is shut down and we come from a different direction). But her stop is mega-crowded, so instead I just find more convoluted routes to use when walking. I guess it's not unlike driving in that respect, since I'm sure most of us here are used to choosing routes other than the direct one!

Guess it won't matter next month since the trains won't be a viable option due to the track work project. We'll be driving.

adventurernumber1

I used to ride my bicycle all the time, and I loved it. I rode my bike a lot in 2011 and 2012 in preparation for some triathlons that I did.

-much more input coming, sorry for all these strange annoying things that I do, my OCD has gone nuts on specific times I have to drink this or that or post this or that, and I have to "wait" and finish the post later, and it threatens me with doom if I don't comply. Please bare with me, it is complicated, and once again I apologize-
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Rothman

Rode my bike a lot years ago.  Even did a 100 km ("metric") day ride with my uncle and aunt...

...but then I grew up and got a driver's license.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

triplemultiplex

I commuted to/from work via bicycle quite a bit last year.  If the weather looked good, I'd saddle up.  My employer is moving later this spring so I doubt I'll get many bike to work days before that happens.  The new location is much too far for me to ride there.  I'm not that ambitious.

I've bicycled home from the bar once or twice in my life.  That was an experience.  :spin: The only time I fell was when I tried to dismount once I got home. :-D
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Darkchylde

I've got an older Schwinn single-speed that I use for exercise and shorter rides when the weather's good.

kurumi

I was hit once, on the way to work, in the bike lane... car turned right in front, and the impact was about 45 degree angle at 20 mph or so. Felt like getting checked into the boards. Back tire of the bike resembled a Pringle. Car got away and nobody got the plate, which sucked. But a good Samaritan gave me and the bike a ride to the office.

Haven't been active over the winter, but have a 100km ride coming up in May. Did a 72-mile circuit around Lake Tahoe 2 years ago, which was just beautiful scenery. A lot of climbing, but never boring. Longest was a solo ride from San Jose to Altamont Pass and back, with a little extra "around the block" riding at the end to bring it up to 101 miles.

Way back in the day in CT, in my teens, I had a separate paper record of route numbers (by sign) that I had seen on a bike. Used to ride around without a helmet, without a patch kit... not super smart. Could have been stranded many miles from home.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Chris

In the Netherlands, the bicycle is standard household equipment for almost anyone. The flat terrain, acceptable weather and excellent bike infrastructure makes it easy to run errands or commute to work by bicycle (if reasonably nearby). My commute is under 2 miles so it takes only about 10 minutes by bicycle. It's in fact even quicker than driving (no traffic signals), not to mention cheaper as the office complex has paid parking.

I used to bike longer distances up to 60-70 miles a day during weekends, but now the fun is over after an hour and half, so I usually end up biking some 20 miles for recreation.

Nobody except very small children, racers and German tourists wear helmets in the Netherlands.

CNGL-Leudimin

I prefer running over cycling. Sometimes I would take a ride, but I've never done any longer than 20 and a few miles.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

inkyatari

Got myself an inexpensive road bike.  It's a world of difference from my hybrid.

Brandon

Quote from: inkyatari on May 02, 2017, 12:20:31 PM
Got myself an inexpensive road bike.  It's a world of difference from my hybrid.

That's basically all I have, an inexpensive road bike that can handle gravel and dirt.  I use it during the summer down at Midewin or on the various bike paths around town.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

inkyatari

Quote from: Brandon on May 02, 2017, 12:39:03 PM

That's basically all I have, an inexpensive road bike that can handle gravel and dirt.  I use it during the summer down at Midewin or on the various bike paths around town.

I had a nasty spill at Midewin a few years ago.  I stupidly decided to ride in a rut.  It was deeper than it looked, and the pedal caught the ground, and I flew off my bike.

Brandon

Quote from: inkyatari on May 02, 2017, 01:53:58 PM
Quote from: Brandon on May 02, 2017, 12:39:03 PM

I had a nasty spill at Midewin a few years ago.  I stupidly decided to ride in a rut.  It was deeper than it looked, and the pedal caught the ground, and I flew off my bike.

Yeah, there are some bad ones there.  Never took a spill off the bike though.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.