News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Who uses an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) for their computer equipment?

Started by I-39, March 08, 2017, 08:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-39

For those who have a desktop computer, do you have it connected to an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)? You know, the battery thing that you plug in your computer to so if the power goes out, it keeps your computer on so you can shut it down safely (or keep it running for the few moments the power is out). I've even seen some gamers who use them to protect game consoles from shutting off during a momentary blackout.   

For those who still don't know what I'm talking about, see these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvfu8KxNvvQ&list=PLv2MhQyA0ISjGeocoqlMoc0T3tsgHXB3s&index=7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhNgc0Ff7l4

I have a laptop, so it is not really necessary, but I did connect my WiFi router to a Back UPS Connect from APC (a bit different than the one in the second video), so in case of a blackout, I keep my Internet for about 90 minutes.

I think it's a good thing to have, but that's just me.

1995hoo

We have them for the computers, the router, the NAS rig, and the cordless phone base station. That means two of them in the home office and a third one downstairs. We also have two others for the DVRs so that if the power goes out we won't miss any recordings as long as the TV isn't turned on. (I once tried powering a TV off one of those things. Didn't last long!)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

AsphaltPlanet

An office that I formerly worked at had a pretty extensive UPS for the computer system when the power went out.  It was always eerie when the office went dark due to power outage, but the glow of our LCD monitors remained bright.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

oscar

I have UPSes for my ancient Windows Vista desktop computer, my former second desktop computer (to be replaced with modern equipment by April or May), my bedroom TV and DVR (the notebook PC in my bedroom, which I'm using right now, has an internal battery), and my landline answering machine. I used to have a fifth UPS for my kitchen TV and DVR (where I have my desktop computer -- the kitchen really is mostly a computer room), but got rid of that UPS when it died, at which point I also returned the kitchen DVR to my cable company.

My neighborhood has a World War II-era power grid, prone to brief outages, thus all those UPSes. The power grid is being slowly upgraded, and will probably become more reliable by the time I move to other digs.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

wanderer2575

I finally got one for my home desktop about a year ago and am so glad I did.  I'm fortunate to not experience long power blackouts, but there are sometimes very short outages (split-second to a few seconds) in winds or heavy rain.  Just enough to make all the clocks flash.  Since I usually keep my computer in sleep state instead of powering down when not using it, those brief outages were a real pain.

I also have my desk clock and Aiwa desktop stereo plugged into the UPS -- not so I can listen to music in the dark, but so I don't have to reset the clocks.  Funny thing is that when the power goes out, the computer and clock are go on uninterrupted, but the stereo display flashes.  Somehow it's detecting a micro-second interruption of power.

Scott5114

I have one for my desktop, but not anything else. That means I lose Internet connectivity whenever there's a power blip, at least until the router can boot up and reconnect. I'd like a second UPS for it, but I haven't really had the money to invest in it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

I-39

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 09, 2017, 03:41:36 AM
I have one for my desktop, but not anything else. That means I lose Internet connectivity whenever there's a power blip, at least until the router can boot up and reconnect. I'd like a second UPS for it, but I haven't really had the money to invest in it.

Depending on what size your router is, you can get a Back UPS connect like the the one in the second video between $50-80 dollars. It's well worth the investment, IMO 

I-39

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 08, 2017, 09:38:08 PM
We also have two others for the DVRs so that if the power goes out we won't miss any recordings as long as the TV isn't turned on. (I once tried powering a TV off one of those things. Didn't last long!)

I think you'd have to get a fairly big high end one in order to power the TV for longer than a few minutes. I guess if you want longer runtime, you'd have to invest in a standby generator as well (and that's a whole different topic).

ColossalBlocks

I don't use a UPS as I don't use my computer when a heavy storm rolls in.
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

1995hoo

Quote from: I-39 on March 09, 2017, 09:45:54 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on March 08, 2017, 09:38:08 PM
We also have two others for the DVRs so that if the power goes out we won't miss any recordings as long as the TV isn't turned on. (I once tried powering a TV off one of those things. Didn't last long!)

I think you'd have to get a fairly big high end one in order to power the TV for longer than a few minutes. I guess if you want longer runtime, you'd have to invest in a standby generator as well (and that's a whole different topic).

Yeah, of course. I did it simply because I was curious how long (or really how short!) the TV would stay on before draining it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Bruce

I've only had one power outage in the past 5 years that has completely shut down my desktop PC, so I don't really feel the need for a UPS. Maybe once I move out to an area without a nearby substation and underground lines, I'll feel the need to get one.

Alex

Yes, one for my desktop. Been very handy over the years with the power blips here and there.

bulldog1979

My parents have their desktop computers and the DVR for the satellite dish on UPSs. The latter was done because the box takes a while to restart, and if the power outage is more than momentary, it's a bit annoyance to wait that long for the restart process to complete.

US71

I added one about a year ago because of power fluctuations. When it storms, my lights blink and half the time my computer shuts down. The back-up has come in handy several times. If the power goes out, I can safely shut down my computer
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

MNHighwayMan

I don't have a UPS, but I do have a surge protector. Nowadays computers will 99/100 times be fine if they shut off suddenly (minus whatever you were working on that wasn't saved :biggrin:), but the threat of surges frying components is still there.

cl94

My office computer has an UPS. That being said, when I'm not in the office, I do everything off of a laptop, usually with a mini surge protector if I'm not plugged into a larger one. Laptops these days are powerful enough and, as a student who works remotely quite often, I need the portability more than the extra power that is provided by a desktop.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

sbeaver44

I probably should get one as I use my desktop primarily as an in-home file server and I hate having to go down to the basement to turn it back on if we have a power blip.

Nexus 6P

Max Rockatansky

I've installed them on some CCTV surveillance systems over the years which generally record on terrabyte hard drive sourced computers.  The theory would be if the power was cut that the UPS would keep things running, the problem is that nobody ever bothers to replace the original unit which eventually just becomes a glorified surge protector given enough time. 

slorydn1

I did back in my desktop computer days, just one of those little plug into the wall strips that might last 5 mins or so  to give me time to perform a proper shut down.

I haven't had a desktop at home for my use since about 2007.

My wife and I both have lap tops and power outages are never an issue as long as they don't last more than about 3 hours or so. My kids still use desktops for gaming purposes but if the power goes out so does the internet so really maintaining power really isn't a big deal to them. I would think being able to perform a proper shutdown would still be important but they don't seem to worry about it.

Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.