News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

police (k)nicknames

Started by allniter89, March 08, 2017, 10:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allniter89

Have you heard of any city specific nicknames for a local police dept? I've heard the Beecher, IL cop(s) referred to as the "Beecher creature". The Babbitt, NV cops were nicked as the Babbitt rabbit, tho this is from the 1970s. I refer to the Shalimar, FL cop as @$!&*$$@ but not in person. He gave me my 1st ticket in 13yrs for 49 in a 40 at 3am, yes he knew of my clean record...the @$%#@^&*^!!
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

hbelkins

Quote from: allniter89 on March 08, 2017, 10:28:42 PM
Have you heard of any city specific nicknames for a local police dept? I've heard the Beecher, IL cop(s) referred to as the "Beecher creature". The Babbitt, NV cops were nicked as the Babbitt rabbit, tho this is from the 1970s. I refer to the Shalimar, FL cop as @$!&*$$@ but not in person. He gave me my 1st ticket in 13yrs for 49 in a 40 at 3am, yes he knew of my clean record...the @$%#@^&*^!!

Not anything specific, but there were lots of nicknames for local police departments back in the CB days in the 1970s ... local yokels, county mounties, city kitties. "Smokey" was generally reserved for state-level police, an infamous Burt Reynonds movie notwithstanding.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Dr. Teeth: It's the man with the badge, the PO-lice, the cops, the fuzz, the P-I-...
Miss Piggy: Don't you dare!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

PHLBOS

Quote from: hbelkins on March 09, 2017, 10:37:22 AM"Smokey" was generally reserved for state-level police,
Such was mainly due to many state police agencies wearing those Smokey-the-Bear style hats as part of their uniform.

Quote from: Rothman on March 10, 2017, 09:07:28 AM
Dr. Teeth: It's the man with the badge, the PO-lice, the cops, the fuzz, the P-I-...
Miss Piggy: DON'T YOU DARE!
FTFY  :sombrero:
Took the words right out of my mouth or; in this case, keystrokes right out of my keyboard.

One nickname for the local police that was thrown around in my hometown during the early 80s was Didleys.  Not sure where that term came from. 
Note: Google was no help at a quick glance.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

There's the infamous CHP (pronounced Chip) for the California Highway Patrol.

And the New York City generally goes by NYPD.

Using abbreviated initials is about as close to nicknames as I can think of.

slorydn1

Well, there is a common phrase in the business: "9 and you're mine!"
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

jp the roadgeek

Other common names: The Po-Po, and 5-0s
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Max Rockatansky

Usually I'm used to department names being shortened to acronym forms like; MCSO (Maricopa County Sherriff) or OPD (Orlando Police Department).  Las Vegas Metro was frequently referred to as "Metro" or "Metro Cops."

PHLBOS

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on March 10, 2017, 02:08:44 PM5-0s
Only because of a certain TV series that focused on a state police force* in the Aloha State.

*referring to the original 1968-80 series.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Brandon

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 10, 2017, 02:25:49 PM
Only because of a certain TV series that focused on a state police force* in the Aloha State.

Which interestingly enough, does not have a state police force.  Hawai'i relies on county police instead of state or municipal police (the whole state is composed of unincorporated land).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

sparker

Quote from: Brandon on March 10, 2017, 05:40:49 PM

Which interestingly enough, does not have a state police force.  Hawai'i relies on county police instead of state or municipal police (the whole state is composed of unincorporated land).

Since there's not a real-life counterpart to the TV agency, that has apparently left the show's creators free to introduce any plot line that they can pull out of their hats (or other containers or even orifices!).  Given some of the plots of the show's recent history (I watched a couple of episodes of the remake's 1st season, but it wasn't in my wheelhouse, so to speak -- but my GF watches it regularly and I often hear it in the background!), the lack of any semblance to reality isn't surprising!

Duke87

Police officers for the Tribourough Bridge and Tunnel Authority in NY are sometimes derisively referred to as "tollbooth toughguys" by members of NYPD. Though this is cop slang and not commonly known by the general public.

Also within New York City, Roosevelt Island has its own dedicated police force for little reason beyond New York loving redundant bureaucracy. Said police force is referred to not as the police, or cops, or any other common term, but as "public safety" - because they are officially the Roosevelt Island Public Safety Department and their cars actually say "Public Safety" on the side.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

jwolfer

Quote from: sparker on March 10, 2017, 05:58:52 PM

Since there's not a real-life counterpart to the TV agency, that has apparently left the show's creators free to introduce any plot line that they can pull out of their hats (or other containers or even orifices!).  Given some of the plots of the show's recent history (I watched a couple of episodes of the remake's 1st season, but it wasn't in my wheelhouse, so to speak -- but my GF watches it regularly and I often hear it in the background!), the lack of any semblance to reality isn't surprising!
Writers of tv shows have no reason to stick to reality in plots. The tv show "The Glades" has a guy eith FDLE( Florida Department of Law Enforcement) and he does stuff that is done by local police or sheriffs departments. It also shows Florida Highway Patrol(FHP) as doing more than they really do.

The worst thing about the show is the unrealistic distances. It will have them drive from The Everglades to Cassadega for an investigation. Its a 3 hour drive at least.

To answer question local cops in Jacksonville,FL are called JSO for Jacksonville Sheriffs Office. Back in 1967 with city/county consolidation Jacksonville Police Department and Duval County Sheriffs Office were disbanded and JSO born.

LGMS428

TheHighwayMan3561

Should have been driving in the UP instead, Brandon told me they have "9 you're fine, 10 you're mine!" :bigass:
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

sparker

Quote from: jwolfer on March 10, 2017, 07:52:32 PM
Quote from: sparker on March 10, 2017, 05:58:52 PM

Writers of tv shows have no reason to stick to reality in plots. The tv show "The Glades" has a guy eith FDLE( Florida Department of Law Enforcement) and he does stuff that is done by local police or sheriffs departments. It also shows Florida Highway Patrol(FHP) as doing more than they really do.

The worst thing about the show is the unrealistic distances. It will have them drive from The Everglades to Cassadega for an investigation. Its a 3 hour drive at least.

To answer question local cops in Jacksonville,FL are called JSO for Jacksonville Sheriffs Office. Back in 1967 with city/county consolidation Jacksonville Police Department and Duval County Sheriffs Office were disbanded and JSO born.

LGMS428

The very best Florida-based cop/procedural/justice show ever was the great "Maximum Bob" from the late '90's.  Beau Bridges as a outwardly tough but inwardly goofy small-town FL judge -- based on a series of Elmore Leonard stories.  One of the first things I did when I first got onto the web about that time so was to bitch like hell to the network when the show was cancelled.  Great writing/dialogue, good supporting cast (especially the luscious Liz Vassey!).  If it ever shows up on cable (it hasn't up here in SJ so far) it's well worth the visit! 

inkyatari

An ex-girlfriend referred to officers as "Aussie-f**kers"

Took me a while to get that.  Didn't take me long to realize she was always in jail for public intoxication either.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

cpzilliacus

Park Police were often referred to as "grasshoppers" because they drove green patrol cars. 

Washington, D.C. has the United States Park Police, which patrol everything owned by the National Park Service in D.C. and its suburbs (years ago, they had green AMC Matador patrol cars).

The suburbs of D.C. in Maryland have the Maryland National Capital Park and Planning Commission's Park Police that patrol county parkland in both of the large suburban counties adjoining D.C. (and yes, for many years this force had green patrol cars, including a time  when they drove Pontiacs, rather unusual in Maryland, where Ford and Mopar tended to dominate police car procurement battles).

Fairfax County, Virginia once had a county park police force, but  I believe it was merged into  the county  police force. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

english si

'Peelers' (because Robert Peel came up with the idea) has fallen out of fashion, though 'Bobbies' (from Robert) has survived.

There's 'Fuzz' (from the felt covering on helmets 150 years ago) - most notably seen in Hot Fuzz.

'Old Bill' is a London-specific one and is falling out of fashion despite the long running The Bill police procedural trying its best to keep the phrase in the public consciousness.

'Plod' (from Noddy character PC Plod) or 'PC Plod' occasionally crops up.

There's 'Coppers' and 'Rozzers' - and they merge sometimes to be 'Cozzers'.

There's also the 'Sweeney' - from the rhyming slang for Flying Squad - who are to deal with gun-related crime and robberies (and they have to be quick, so got the name 'flying squad' even though they don't have planes or helicopters. So they got called the Sweeney Todd and, like all good rhyming slang the bit that rhymes is dropped). Made famous by a very popular 70s TV series. They are also the only police in Britain to carry sidearms just generally (made more interesting as they are plain clothes) - hence why the TV series was so popular: it was like a US cop show.

'Bobbies', 'Cops', 'Rozzers' (thanks James May), 'Fuzz' (thanks Pegg and Frost) and more commonly used, but there's the Ali G esque phenomenon whereby teenagers think they are gang members in Los Angeles, so 'po-po' is growing in popularity and common US slang terms often get used. We don't tend to use pig-related terms though.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.