News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Joplin West Bypass

Started by Grzrd, March 26, 2014, 09:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

Quote from: txstateends on February 10, 2014, 01:19:39 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on February 10, 2014, 09:02:11 AM
[...] no money to complete [...] a bypass around the west side of Joplin [...]
and the construction of a bypass on the west side of Joplin [...]
I hadn't heard of this project.  Where would it go, and is it connected at all to I-49 or some other corridor?
(above quote from I-49 Coming to Missouri thread)

This article reports that the Joplin Area Transportation Study Organization ("JATSO") has ranked the West Bypass as the top priority road project for the Joplin area:

A future west bypass is rated as the top priority road project for the Joplin area, members of the Joplin Area Transportation Study Organization agreed on Monday.
Members of JATSO, which includes representatives of Joplin, Webb City and Carl Junction, Jasper and Newton counties, and the Missouri Department of Transportation, on Monday rated the importance of about 80 area road and bridge projects. Those projects were suggested during a three-week public comment period conducted by MoDOT.
David Hertzberg of Joplin's Public Works Department said the most important project to the area for economic development reasons is the construction of a west bypass corridor, a new highway to be built on the west side of Joplin proposed roughly for the area of Central City Road. It would link Interstate 44 to Joplin, Carl Junction and Webb City via Zora Street, which connects to Missouri Highway 249.

Quote from: Grzrd on September 27, 2013, 02:32:26 PM
This Sept. 25 Joplin Globe article reports the adoption of a four-year plan by the Joplin Area Transportation Study Organization and it includes the following:
MoDOT also plans to look, at a cost of $145,000, at what work needs to be done on I-49 between Joplin and Carthage
I emailed MoDOT and asked them if this study will include a look at the MO 249/MO 171 corridor and they indicate that it will; however, the current thinking is that the MO 249/MO 171 corridor will eventually be I-249 and not I-49:
Some people are interested in converting MO 249 and a portion of MO 171 to Carthage to I-249.  This would be the early work on this idea.
(above quote from I-49 Coming to Missouri thread)

It is possible that the West Bypass, via Zora Street, may one day connect I-44 to MO 249/possible Future I-249.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on March 26, 2014, 09:05:42 AM
This article reports that the Joplin Area Transportation Study Organization ("JATSO") has ranked the West Bypass as the top priority road project for the Joplin area ....
It is possible that the West Bypass, via Zora Street, may one day connect I-44 to MO 249/possible Future I-249.
Quote from: Scott5114 on June 13, 2014, 01:41:18 PM
Full lists: http://www.modot.org/movingforward/
(bottom quote from MoDOT's Transportation Sales Tax 10-Year Project List thread)

The Draft Southwest Region Priority List includes some ROW acquisition for the Joplin West Bypass in Newton County:

Purchase land for future Joplin West corridor from Rte 66 (7th St) to I-44

As previously posted in another thread, the Southwest Region Priority List also includes construction of Future I-249 in Jasper County:

Improve Rte 249 and Rte 171 to interstate standards from I-44 to Carthage

Scott5114

Is this meant to be a freeway (in which case it might make a nice 449 or 644), or will it be something smaller?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Grzrd

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 16, 2014, 02:31:56 AM
Is this meant to be a freeway (in which case it might make a nice 449 or 644), or will it be something smaller?

I'm not sure. Here is a link to a pre-NEPA evaluation March 2009 Purpose and Need Study:

http://www.modot.org/southwest_archive/major_projects/documents/WJoplinPandNDraft231809.pdf

It does not seem to make a recommendation regarding freeway, expressway, etc.  The Open Houses for the Southwest District begin today.  I'm hoping that MoDOT will post their materials from the Open Houses; if so, the materials may show a more current "vision".

Henry

Quote from: Grzrd on June 16, 2014, 08:42:43 AM

I'm not sure. Here is a link to a pre-NEPA evaluation March 2009 Purpose and Need Study:

http://www.modot.org/southwest_archive/major_projects/documents/WJoplinPandNDraft231809.pdf

It does not seem to make a recommendation regarding freeway, expressway, etc.  The Open Houses for the Southwest District begin today.  I'm hoping that MoDOT will post their materials from the Open Houses; if so, the materials may show a more current "vision".
Not everything needs to be a freeway, so I'd be happy with a four-lane arterial that could one day be upgraded to expressway/freeway standards when needed.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Scott5114

The problem with that is that you will eventually get businesses located directly on the arterial, and you will have to bypass the bypass. Better to start with an expressway with frontage roads and build the interchanges later if you're going to go that route.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Grzrd

This TV video reports the project would be a limited access highway and that the ROW would be acquired toward the end of the ten-year period:

At today's meeting, commissioners agreed to write a letter of intent to MoDOT for Joplin's west corridor funding. The proposed project is for land acquisition between I-44 and 7th Street on the west side of the city. The west corridor project would be a limited access highway between 7th Street and Interstate 44. Land acquisition would be scheduled toward the end of the 10 year plan. If the sales tax passes, the county would give $324,000 to MoDOT to help fund the $11.8 million project. The City of Joplin and Newton County would also help with funding.

Bobby5280

Quote from: Scott5114The problem with that is that you will eventually get businesses located directly on the arterial, and you will have to bypass the bypass. Better to start with an expressway with frontage roads and build the interchanges later if you're going to go that route.

I prefer the approach often used in Texas. They secure the entire right of way, but start with building frontage roads with a median between them wide enough to contain a future super highway. This doesn't cost all that much more than building a divided city street, but it secures the land needed for the future freeway at current real estate costs. That will ultimately lower the cost of building the future freeway whether it's built 2 years in the future or 20 or more years in the future. The frontage roads block developers from pulling stunts to build street or parking lot entrances right off the main lanes of the future freeway. They're forced to only use the frontage roads.

There's only a couple downsides I see with with the frontage roads first method. Anti-freeway people can campaign to have that wide ROW for the future freeway re-purposed for parks or green space use. When the time comes to build the freeway the entire freeway has to be built, not just the interchange bridges.

The other approach is building the main lanes at freeway grade & quality, but diverting traffic off exit ramps at every major at-grade intersection. The interchange bridges can be built later when funding becomes available. This method might be cheaper than the Texas frontage roads first approach, but it has the major downside of commercial and residential developers constantly trying to tie at-grade entrances into the main lanes of what's intended to be a future freeway. City or county officials often don't have the political strength to stand up to well connected business people and tell them, "you can't build that there; it needs a frontage road first." At the very least some iron-clad zoning rules regarding set back distances would be mandatory. That way if some developer does have his main entrance coming right off the main lanes of a future freeway there might be enough space for a new frontage road to correct that issue.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.