News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Does anybody have any pictures of US 169 signage on Skelly Drive

Started by bugo, February 20, 2012, 07:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Skelly Drive (I-44/OK 66) in Tulsa was once US 169 and I think it was also OK 33.  Does anybody have pictures of US 169 signage on this road?  What about OK 11 signage along Memorial?

agentsteel53

this picture is not quite right, but it may be tangentially relevant?

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

bugo

Those are in the downtown/midtown area.  The 66/33/75 intersection is now underneath I-244.

rte66man

Are you sure about 169?  I well remember OK33 being extensively signed on Skelly Drive.  If 169 was signed, it would have been in the mid-60's after the Mingo Valley Expressway was opened from Owasso to 21st St. I was assuming it terminated at the I44 junction.  I know it ran down Mingo Rd, Mohawk Blvd., Peoria, thru downtown, across the Arkansas on the 21st St bridge to SW blvd, then south on Union Ave.

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

bugo

The topo maps that were recently posted to this board show US 169, I-44, US 66, OK 33, and US 75 signed along Skelly Drive (look for the Jenks quad.)  I have seen a picture of the 44/Yale interchange where there were just I-44 shields pointing towards the highway.  I know that today ODOT signs OK 66 VERY, VERY well along I-44, but they don't sign it at all along I-44 in OKC.  I seem to remember ODOT signing secondary routes poorly back in the '80s.  When was this change made?  It's very rare to see an I-44 shield in Tulsa without an OK 66 sign right underneath or beside it.  Very rare.  In fact I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Post Merge: February 23, 2012, 09:37:17 PM

And I think 169 ended at the point where today's ALT US 75 (then US 75) ends at US 75 near Beggs.  At one time, 169 ended at OK 67 and the Okmulgee Beeline (what a cool name for a road, too bad it isn't still in common usage) between OK 67 and US 75 was OK 138.  This was the situation for about a year, when US 169 was extended to I-40 in Henryetta.  Eventually US 75 took over the Beeline and 169 was moved to the Mingo Valley Expressway.  Even today, 169 has an odd southern end, ending at the Memorial Drive interchange.

usends

Quote from: rte66man on February 21, 2012, 10:20:12 PM
Are you sure about 169?  I well remember OK33 being extensively signed on Skelly Drive.  If 169 was signed, it would have been in the mid-60's after the Mingo Valley Expressway was opened from Owasso to 21st St. I was assuming it terminated at the I44 junction.  I know it ran down Mingo Rd, Mohawk Blvd., Peoria, thru downtown, across the Arkansas on the 21st St bridge to SW blvd, then south on Union Ave.

That's correct: according to the online historic OKDoT maps...
http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/hqdiv/p-r-div/maps/state-maps/index.htm
...the routing you describe lasted until 1964.  The 1965 map is the first to show 169 rerouted along Skelly Dr.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

rte66man

Quote from: bugo on February 22, 2012, 06:44:09 AM
And I think 169 ended at the point where today's ALT US 75 (then US 75) ends at US 75 near Beggs.  At one time, 169 ended at OK 67 and the Okmulgee Beeline (what a cool name for a road, too bad it isn't still in common usage) between OK 67 and US 75 was OK 138.  This was the situation for about a year, when US 169 was extended to I-40 in Henryetta.  Eventually US 75 took over the Beeline and 169 was moved to the Mingo Valley Expressway.  Even today, 169 has an odd southern end, ending at the Memorial Drive interchange.

When did 169 run farther south than Glenpool?

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

usends

Quote from: rte66man on February 23, 2012, 02:29:36 PM
When did 169 run farther south than Glenpool?

Well, OKDOT's route logs from the late '50s and early '60s defined the route as going south to Henryetta.  But I don't think it was ever actually signed south of Glenpool.  Here's what I've been able to cobble together...
http://www.usends.com/Focus/Tulsa/index.html
...and here's the part of that page that's relevant to your question:
Quote"...why co-sign US 169 with US 75 for over 20 miles, only to have it end at Henryetta? And what's even more strange: I've never seen any map showing a US 169 marker south of Glenpool. Not even OK DoT's maps. Maybe that's because the extension was something that OKDoT decided to do internally, but before bothering to sign it along a pointless multiplex with US 75, they were waiting to see whether AASHTO was going to approve the full extension to Madill."
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

bugo

Where did 169 end when it followed Skelly?  US 75 was signed on the Okmulgee Beeline at the same time 169 was on Skelly.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.