News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Arizona Day Trip

Started by pumpkineater2, March 22, 2017, 08:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pumpkineater2

Come ride with me to the distant shore...

Max Rockatansky

A lot of Oatman Highway in that album.  Man, that road used to be a beast to try to get through before the recent repaving last year.  Sitgreaves Pass was an absolute monster due to the road coming up and having to cut blind corners not to have a blow out from pot holes.  I dare say the new surface makes it more a drivers road as in a fair challenge of terrain rather than actually being dangerous like it was.  I always thought the history with US 66 and Oatman was really cool, I know there was mine money back in the 1920s but it is hard to see the logic of the routing.

pumpkineater2

It was a really fun road to drive though, even in an old pickup truck that handles like a pig :-D
I couldn't believe how narrow the road was in some places; I think my right tires barely fit on the pavement.
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: pumpkineater2 on March 23, 2017, 02:22:59 PM
It was a really fun road to drive though, even in an old pickup truck that handles like a pig :-D
I couldn't believe how narrow the road was in some places; I think my right tires barely fit on the pavement.

Yeah that's a pretty good representation of what US Routes used to be like.  Really it can be a crap ton of fun on a quiet morning before the tourist crowd gets out there. I'm still fairly amused that the Gold Road Mine runs trucks up most of Sitgreaves Pass from Oatman, that can't be a pleasant job.  Not to mention there is a chance of a burro or feral cow encounter given it is open range.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.