News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Who is working Thanksgiving 2015?

Started by ZLoth, November 23, 2015, 02:10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaBigE

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 24, 2015, 12:57:32 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 23, 2015, 07:39:21 PM
Quote from: ZLoth on November 23, 2015, 02:10:14 AM
Why do I bother? Because of all the "outrage" about the stores being open on Thanksgiving, and that the retail workers having to work the holiday instead of being with their families. Of course, we conveniently ignore the fact that there are plenty of "invisible" people who work Thanksgiving including police officers, firefighters, medical personnel, and lets not forget servicepeople who are currently deployed.

I don't think anyone ignores that these people work on Thanksgiving. My quibble is comparing essential service personnel to the cashier at Target making $7 an hour. The only purpose the local Target being open on Thanksgiving serves is so people with misplaced priorities can have their holiday crap sooner for a marginally lower price. Sure, I get that not everybody has families and some people would probably rather work than spend time with relatives but I stand by my point.

Then do you have a problem with all the people that are needed to work all aspects of football games, parades, and other events that occur on Thanksgiving?   We focus on the players on the field, but there's numerous people that work the parking lots, concession stands, ushers, ticket takers, etc, etc, etc.

Apples and oranges in my book. This is coming from someone who used to have to work retail on Black Friday...(back when Black Friday didn't begin until 5am FRIDAY morning). Those people aren't dealing with the same animals retail workers have to encounter. Ticket takers and parking lot personnel at the stadium aren't being crushed by an impending stampede of humanity, looking to get the last Tickle Me Elmo or some other piece of crap that probably will be forgotten by Valentine's Day. Sure, there are some rude fans, but the day of the week doesn't matter.

Black Friday shoppers, on the other hand, that's a whole different ballgame.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Rothman

Quote from: Zeffy on November 24, 2015, 12:42:42 PM
Quote from: empirestate on November 24, 2015, 10:39:19 AM
Quote from: Rothman on November 24, 2015, 08:06:21 AM
Quote from: Zeffy on November 23, 2015, 10:09:40 PM
Quote from: Rothman on November 23, 2015, 01:55:25 PM
What do you mean by "nothing will change"?

The things I do on a day-to-day basis will be no different on Black Friday than say last Friday.

Hm.  Then why go in? 

Well, why not? When one is scheduled to work, one usually goes in. ;-)

I think all he's saying is, it won't be any great terror for him to show up at work Friday, since he works in (or for) an office and not in retail where it's sure to be a madhouse.

Bingo. Plus I don't have vacation time because I'm still too new to be accruing any.

Heh.  I thought the lack of accruals might have something to do with it.  I like the four-day weekend, even if I'm doing a whole lot of nothing on Friday.  Beats being in the office. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: DaBigE on November 24, 2015, 01:40:29 PM
Why do I bother? Because of all the "outrage" about the stores being open on Thanksgiving, and that the retail workers having to work the holiday instead of being with their families. Of course, we conveniently ignore the fact that there are plenty of "invisible" people who work Thanksgiving including police officers, firefighters, medical personnel, and lets not forget servicepeople who are currently deployed.

I don't think anyone ignores that these people work on Thanksgiving. My quibble is comparing essential service personnel to the cashier at Target making $7 an hour. The only purpose the local Target being open on Thanksgiving serves is so people with misplaced priorities can have their holiday crap sooner for a marginally lower price. Sure, I get that not everybody has families and some people would probably rather work than spend time with relatives but I stand by my point.

Then do you have a problem with all the people that are needed to work all aspects of football games, parades, and other events that occur on Thanksgiving?   We focus on the players on the field, but there's numerous people that work the parking lots, concession stands, ushers, ticket takers, etc, etc, etc.

Apples and oranges in my book. This is coming from someone who used to have to work retail on Black Friday...(back when Black Friday didn't begin until 5am FRIDAY morning). Those people aren't dealing with the same animals retail workers have to encounter. Ticket takers and parking lot personnel at the stadium aren't being crushed by an impending stampede of humanity, looking to get the last Tickle Me Elmo or some other piece of crap that probably will be forgotten by Valentine's Day. Sure, there are some rude fans, but the day of the week doesn't matter.

Don't forget about the concession stand workers and other people.  And I thought the argument was people working on Thanksgiving.  Now we craft the response so that it's ok to work on Thanksgiving...as long as you're taking tickets and selling beers, because those people don't have families? 

Yeah, I know that's not exactly what you said.  But when we start to say it's ok for some people (that aren't essential personnel) to work on Thanksgiving, then we're losing track of what is supposedly the whole argument of working on Thanksgiving is about.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 24, 2015, 02:06:46 PM

Don't forget about the concession stand workers and other people.  And I thought the argument was people working on Thanksgiving.  Now we craft the response so that it's ok to work on Thanksgiving...as long as you're taking tickets and selling beers, because those people don't have families? 

Yeah, I know that's not exactly what you said.  But when we start to say it's ok for some people (that aren't essential personnel) to work on Thanksgiving, then we're losing track of what is supposedly the whole argument of working on Thanksgiving is about.

To me the big difference is the number of people and length of time affected.  The NFL has games at 3 stadiums on Thanksgiving, forcing a couple hundred people in three different cities to work.  Wal-Mart opens on Thanksgiving, and that's forcing hundreds of thousands of people in thousands of locations to work.  Plus, those people working at the stadiums at least have the weekend off after working Thursday, so there's still some chance for family time.  Very rare and lucky is a retail employee who gets any day off over the 4-day weekend.

Still, I blame all the selfish people who just can't wait until Friday to start shopping.  If the demand weren't there, the stores wouldn't be open. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cabiness42 on November 24, 2015, 02:16:28 PM

To me the big difference is the number of people and length of time affected.  The NFL has games at 3 stadiums on Thanksgiving, forcing a couple hundred people in three different cities to work.  Wal-Mart opens on Thanksgiving, and that's forcing hundreds of thousands of people in thousands of locations to work.  Plus, those people working at the stadiums at least have the weekend off after working Thursday, so there's still some chance for family time.  Very rare and lucky is a retail employee who gets any day off over the 4-day weekend.

Still, I blame all the selfish people who just can't wait until Friday to start shopping.  If the demand weren't there, the stores wouldn't be open. 

There's approximately 2,500 part time people that work each game...on top of those that are employed on a more full-time basis for each team.

So for 3 games, that's 7,500 people working.  A bit off your less-than-1,000 estimate.

Also, Walmart is hardly the first store to be open on Thanksgiving.  Kmart has been open for years.  Old Navy is opening even before Walmart.  But hey, let's trash on Walmart.

Again, the one and only argument is supposed to be taking people away from their families for Thanksgiving.  You continue to trivialize it.

DaBigE

Since you brought it up, No, I don't think anyone should have to work on Thanksgiving or any holiday for that matter, and should be able to spend time with whomever they want. But that's impossible in the world we live in. Different cultures, different holidays. In a perfect world, everyone would have all holidays off. But there are jobs that have to be covered 24/7/365 (fire, ems, police, defense, utilities...); retail is not one of them. Black "Friday" is completely artificial and a product of "civilized" society's greed. Personally, I've never understood why there are sporting events or movie premieres on major holidays.

The point I was trying to make is that the jobs encounter totally different types of clientele, thus are not directly comparable just because the tasks occur on the same day. An NFL (/NBA/NHL/insert your favorite sport here) game on Thanksgiving Day is by-and-large no different than working the game on the preceding or following Sunday. OTOH, mobs of shoppers on Black Friday are largely different than those going to shop on any other day of the year.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

vdeane

Retail on Thanksgiving and Black Friday is purely a corporate construct.  There was no "demand" for doorbuster sales before Black Friday was invented.  Just a few people who liked to take advantage of a four day weekend to get an early start on their Christmas shopping.  Then some stores started asking "how can we get more".  The answer?  Sales.  And it became a regular thing, because Thanksgiving and Christmas happen every single year (unlike, say, whatever random number generator tells Raymour and Flanigan to have their next "wall to wall" sale).  Then more stores got into the game.  It became a "thing".  Sales became bigger and started earlier.  And it just started inching backwards and backwards until it encroached on Thanksgiving.  The "demand" was conveniently created by the businesses with the "supply".

Unlike emergency workers, there's no reason why retail workers, stadium workers, etc. should NEED to work a holiday.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: vdeane on November 24, 2015, 10:29:57 PM
Retail on Thanksgiving and Black Friday is purely a corporate construct.  There was no "demand" for doorbuster sales before Black Friday was invented.  Just a few people who liked to take advantage of a four day weekend to get an early start on their Christmas shopping.  Then some stores started asking "how can we get more".  The answer?  Sales.  And it became a regular thing, because Thanksgiving and Christmas happen every single year (unlike, say, whatever random number generator tells Raymour and Flanigan to have their next "wall to wall" sale).  Then more stores got into the game.  It became a "thing".  Sales became bigger and started earlier.  And it just started inching backwards and backwards until it encroached on Thanksgiving.  The "demand" was conveniently created by the businesses with the "supply".

Unlike emergency workers, there's no reason why retail workers, stadium workers, etc. should NEED to work a holiday.

When I worked in retail an eon ago, "Black Friday" had a negative connotation.  It was not celebrated, the stores didn't announce it, and opening time was the same as usual.  Employee reaction was an exasperated eye-roll, like it usually was.

The day after Christmas, with the combo of clearance discounts and gift returns, was much worse then.

I recently heard an ad refer to "Black Friday Weekend."  Funny, we used to refer to it as "Thanksgiving Weekend."

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Duke87

Quote from: vdeane on November 24, 2015, 10:29:57 PM

Something else which hasn't really been touched on is that stores being open on Thanksgiving not only impacts the ability of the employees to be with their families, it also has an impact on the customers and their families.

It isn't as simple as "stores wouldn't open if there weren't demand", there is a feedback loop. People who crave doorbusters will go to the store when there are doorbusters. If stores waited until Friday to open, many of the customers who are going for the doorbusters would spend Thanksgiving with their families and then go shopping Friday morning. The stores open on Thursday, and their families don't get to spend Thanksgiving with them because they deem the shopping to be more important.

Thing of it is, since many people have Thanksgiving off but need to work on Friday, there are people who couldn't partake in doorbusters without taking a day off. Somewhat ironically, the opening of stores on Thanksgiving is likely motivated in part by more potential customers having that day off from work.

Ultimately, it seems Thanksgiving's relevance as an actual holiday is on the decline, and I wouldn't be surprised if in a few decades it is reduced to what most American holidays are already treated as - a day off from work to do whatever with.

Part of this is that as the beginning of Christmas season keeps moving earlier, Thanksgiving gets drowned out and lost in it all.
Another part of it is that there is little tradition of substance to Thanksgiving other than it being a family gathering, so among a population that is increasingly superficially-minded, a lot of people are starting to care more about the shopping rush than anything else.
And then you have the simple fact that in a world that is growing increasingly smaller and more connected, a holiday which is celebrated in only one country faces difficulty remaining relevant compared to holidays which are celebrated internationally.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

J N Winkler

Quote from: DaBigE on November 24, 2015, 02:59:32 PMSince you brought it up, No, I don't think anyone should have to work on Thanksgiving or any holiday for that matter, and should be able to spend time with whomever they want. But that's impossible in the world we live in. Different cultures, different holidays. In a perfect world, everyone would have all holidays off. But there are jobs that have to be covered 24/7/365 (fire, ems, police, defense, utilities...); retail is not one of them. Black "Friday" is completely artificial and a product of "civilized" society's greed.

I avoid contributing to the Black Friday problem by simply not doing any shopping at all (except for dinner fixings and so on) during Thanksgiving week.  But if the whole country followed my example, the US retail sector would be in a state of near collapse and GDP would likely be shaved by a percentage point or two.

Quote from: DaBigE on November 24, 2015, 02:59:32 PMPersonally, I've never understood why there are sporting events or movie premieres on major holidays.

They catch people when they have leisure due to time off work and, in many cases, relatives staying with them that they see so infrequently during the year that they are unwilling to take a chance on large blocks of unstructured time exposing latent personality clashes.

Quote from: Pete from Boston on November 24, 2015, 11:58:55 PMI recently heard an ad refer to "Black Friday Weekend."  Funny, we used to refer to it as "Thanksgiving Weekend."

Amazon has been spamming me (and, I suspect, its entire US client base) with emails referencing "Black Friday Week."
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

J N Winkler

Quote from: Duke87 on November 25, 2015, 12:07:58 AMAnother part of it is that there is little tradition of substance to Thanksgiving other than it being a family gathering, so among a population that is increasingly superficially-minded, a lot of people are starting to care more about the shopping rush than anything else.
And then you have the simple fact that in a world that is growing increasingly smaller and more connected, a holiday which is celebrated in only one country faces difficulty remaining relevant compared to holidays which are celebrated internationally.

My mother remembers that her parents (German-speaking farmers for whom English was a second language) never celebrated Thanksgiving, so I suspect the Thanksgiving-as-turkey-day concept has only relatively recently reached full penetration across a broad range of cultural groups.

The fixed menu (anything but turkey is tantamount to armed rebellion) and the indigestion jamboree aspect of Thanksgiving also run counter to much of the current thinking about healthy eating--food should taste good, be in moderate quantity, and be fun both to fix and to eat--and for that reason alone I expect Thanksgiving either to fade or to undergo reinvention.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

vdeane

I don't mind Turkey.  Never noticed the binge eating part, but then, being part Italian, EVERY holiday involves binge eating (also the weekly spaghetti "dinners" (read: lunches) we used to have on Sunday).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ZLoth

From Consumerist/Wall Street Journal:

Some Shopping Malls Forcing Stores To Open On Thanksgiving
QuoteEveryone knows that a handful of major retailers now choose to open on Thanksgiving, but most smaller businesses have remained closed on the holiday – whether it was out of a desire to enjoy the day, or simply because the extra expense of paying people to work on Thanksgiving wasn't worth the few hours of additional sales. But now some shopping mall operators are spoiling the holiday for their smaller tenants by forcing them to open up on Thanksgiving.

Anchor stores in malls – like Sears, Macy's, and JCPenney, all of which will open at some point this Thanksgiving – generally have their own entrances and the ability to open and close without concern for the hours of their smaller mall family members.

The Wall Street Journal reports that some mall operators have now decided that since these stores are going to be open, everyone in the mall should be working too. In some cases, if a store remains shuttered on the holiday, it could face fines from their mall overlandlord.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

roadman65

Well today Wal Mart finally broke through that barrier of being open on Thanksgiving all day!  They used to close early in the day and open up in the evening, but the one on Turkey Lake Road in Orlando was open this morning.

It was also crowded, so instead of the GP complaining about stores not observing holidays and letting families spend time together, we need to look at another angle.  The fact it was crowded shows us that there is a demand for it and if we need to be mad at someone it should not be the owners, but the patrons who shop there instead!   If we want to keep Thanksgiving a holiday for all then we need not to shop there on the days we think that are bad to be open and stop the demand.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jakeroot

Quote from: Zeffy on November 26, 2015, 09:36:13 AM
Corporate greed knows no limits.

No one is forcing you to shop on Thanksgiving. If people didn't want to be there, being open on Thanksgiving would have proven unprofitable years ago and the practice would have ended. But for some reason, people like to shop on Thanksgiving.

Some people think they don't have a choice because the deals are just "too good to pass up". And that's total horse shit. Sales exist at all retailers year round.

vdeane

It's not that they like to shop on Thanksgiving, it's that they like the doorbuster sales.  As for "sales exist year round", well, people don't do their Christmas shopping year round, and figuring out when something will be on sale the rest of the year is a crapshoot.

As for why people are so consumerist these days... blame advertising.

KEVIN_224

The supermarket I work at in Connecticut was open from 6 AM to 2 PM today. I had today off with pay (legal holiday). I have Friday off and hope to get to Philadelphia for an overnight trip. I will also be off on Saturday, which is more or less another paid day for me (we call it a personal holiday). :)

I used to work in the Electronics department at Walmart. I do NOT miss it (but the ending pay was better than my current rate). I worked 7 Black Fridays (2003 to 2009). Sales on Thanksgiving were in the planning stages then, but weren't implemented.

I may be wrong, but I believe Maine prohibits big-box stores from being open on this holiday. I wish we in Connecticut could do the same! SIGH!

vtk

I took possession of a work van and became available around noon today. Waited all day for a call. Finally after 8, work called. Now I'll be in a railroad yard for several hours overnight.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

ZLoth

Quote from: roadman65 on November 26, 2015, 02:45:31 PM
Well today Wal Mart finally broke through that barrier of being open on Thanksgiving all day!  They used to close early in the day and open up in the evening, but the one on Turkey Lake Road in Orlando was open this morning.
Quick question.... does that WalMart also sell groceries?
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

roadman

What increasingly annoys me about the whole Black Friday nonsense is how suddenly it seems that EVERYONE is offering "Black Friday sales".  It's one thing for chain stores to use Black Friday to entice customers in with "while supplies last" deals (translation - only available to the first three or four people who make it in the door).  But this year has seen a new low.  In addition to the "Black Friday Month" some retailers started promoting in early November, you see car manufacturers - not dealers, but manufacturers, and even newspapers, offering Black Friday deals.

Hopefully, there will come a day where all the mid-1980s MBA graduates - the ones who were taught that the only thing that matters in business is short term profit, short term profit, and - yes - short term profit - will have finally retired and died off.  Then perhaps we can get some people in there who have enough common sense to realize that they can make just as much, if not more, money by restricting the Christmas sales season instead of this folly of stretching it out another week or so every year.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

ZLoth

So, how were those Black Friday sales? From Yahoo/Reuters:

Black Friday crowds thin in subdued start to U.S. holiday shopping
QuoteBargain hunters found relatively little competition compared with previous years. Some had already shopped Thursday evening, reflecting a new normal of U.S. holiday shopping, where stores open up with deals on Thanksgiving itself, rather than waiting until Black Friday.

Retailers "have taken the sense of urgency out for consumers by spreading their promotions throughout the year and what we are seeing is a result of that," said Jeff Simpson, director of the retail practice at Deloitte. Traffic in stores was light on Friday, while Thursday missed his expectations, he said.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

Meanwhile, it's time for the Black Friday Fights. From CNet:

Your Black Friday mall brawl highlights
Technically Incorrect: As people rushed to get electronics, little seemed to have changed from previous years. There was pandemonium, and there were fights.
QuoteIt's less a tradition than an affirmation of the human spirit.

Once the turkey has been dismembered, it's time to dismember a fellow member of the human race in the battle for electronic supremacy.

It often seems that, in Black Friday mall fights, electronics are involved. Last year, a TV was one of the fight prizes at Walmart.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

From Business News Daily:

Happy Holiday? Thanksgiving Not a Day Off for All Workers
QuoteRather than celebrating Thanksgiving with some turkey, family and football, Thursday will be just another day of work for many, new research finds.

This year, 36 percent of employers will require at least some employees to work on Thanksgiving, up from 33 percent in 2014, according to a study from Bloomberg BNA.

The number of organizations with some employees on the clock is actually far fewer than it used to be. The research shows that Thanksgiving work shifts consistently exceeded 40 percent from the mid-1990s through the early 2000s, topping out at 48 percent in 2000.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

From ABC 10 News San Diego:

Assemblywoman proposes double-time pay for retail employees working on Thanksgiving
QuoteAssemblywoman Lorena Gonzalez, D-San Diego, said Wednesday she plans to make changes to her proposed legislation that would require paying retail employees double-time if they have to work on Thanksgiving.

Her original bill, introduced last December, would have mandated double-time pay for working specified "family holidays" unless they're covered by a collective bargaining agreement, work for a company with 25 or fewer employees, or is a first responder or other sort of emergency worker.
FULL ARTICLE HERE (Autoplay video)

english si

Quote from: roadman on November 27, 2015, 05:34:33 PMWhat increasingly annoys me about the whole Black Friday nonsense is how suddenly it seems that EVERYONE is offering "Black Friday sales".
ASDA (owned by Walmart) brought it to physical stores in the UK last year, with several big chains copying. ASDA themselves didn't bother this year (outside of a weekend-long discount on petrol), though a load of other places did. Most of them didn't really understand door-busters. It was a near total flop and Black Friday will be a very minor thing in the UK once more.

ZLoth

From Time:

Black Friday Sales Down More Than $1 Billion
QuoteShoppers this year still wanted to get a head start on their holiday gift list on Black Friday – but overall were less willing to brave the crowds.

Sales on Thanksgiving and Black Friday both fell in stores this year, with a growing amount of people pursuing their discounts online instead.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

Now, hopefully, the B&M stores will consider being open on Thanksgiving a bad idea. If I had my way, the retail stores would be close at 7 PM on Thanksgiving Wednesday, and reopen at 6 AM on Black Friday. And, for goodness sales, drop those doorbusters where you have a good price on a fourth-tier TV that you only have three of in stock.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.