News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Favorite [Speed Limit] design

Started by NJ, November 25, 2015, 09:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which 'Speed limit' sign design do you like the most?

USAs 'Speed limit'
Canada's 'Maximum speed'
Australia's
Europe's (white background)
Europe's (yellow background)
Other

NJ

USA...

Canada... or

Australia..

Europe... or

corco

SignGeek101

I think we're going to have a clear winner here  :nod:

For me, it would be Canada's or Europe (white background), though I'm sure my opinion, like everyone else's opinion on here is biased towards their own country, hence my point above.

I've always been a fan of recognizably. Although I like the use of Series E in speed limit signs (US design), I don't like the word "SPEED LIMIT'. I also don't like the yellow background sign, because it could (possibly) be confused for a warning sign (or ramp, exit etc) sign. I think Australia's just has too much white space on it.

Also, the images are a bit large, I'd reduce the size if possible.

NJ

I like Canada's speed limit sign, or if America used 'Maximum Speed' as used on certain California freeways rather than 'Speed limit'

jakeroot

Quote from: SignGeek101 on November 25, 2015, 10:11:45 PM
I think we're going to have a clear winner here  :nod:

Hey look, 'Murica's in the lead. Who'd have guessed? :-D

I voted for Australia, because I prefer the Vienna design but I like a background.

Mr. Matté

TheHighwayMan3561

I feel like this will be one of those things where everybody thinks their particular jurisdiction's sign is best.  :awesomeface:
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

SignGeek101

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 25, 2015, 11:47:07 PM
I feel like this will be one of those things where everybody thinks their particular jurisdiction's sign is best.  :awesomeface:

My thoughts exactly.

DaBigE

Quote from: NJ on November 25, 2015, 10:24:04 PM
I like Canada's speed limit sign, or if America used 'Maximum Speed' as used on certain California freeways rather than 'Speed limit'

Maybe just because it's late and I'm tired, but I don't get it...how's "Maximum Speed" any different or better than "Speed Limit"? Not that most people are concerned with the text (and others arguably not concerned with the posted number), but the latter message is shorter, with better distance legibility. IMO, saying "Maximum Speed" just sounds like you're trying to impress somebody.

I like the idea of just posting the number, but as it's been brought up in other topics, the number needs a context, since it could be confused with some route marker signs. I don't see the US ever deviating from the current Speed Limit sign.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

myosh_tino

Quote from: corco on November 25, 2015, 10:09:02 PM
The Oregon SPEED sign

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!  I think we have a winner!  I'm from California but I do love seeing the Oregon "SPEED" signs simply because they are unique and I kind of like the large numerals.

Quote from: NJ on November 25, 2015, 10:24:04 PM

The MAXIMUM SPEED signs are just about extinct on California's freeways due to old age.  Some were patched when the NMSL was abolished but most of them were replaced.

My first choice would obviously be our "SPEED LIMIT" sign although the Canadian "MAXIMUM" would be a suitable alternative.  The euro ones with a number in a red circle look too much like a route shield.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

luokou

The Oregon SPEED sign

Definitely my favourite, and not just because I'm from Oregon. Way easier to see larger numerals that aren't Series E or E(M).

NJ

The Oregon SPEED sign

Just checked it out, not a fan of it. "Speed" - Speed what? Maximum as Canada's is better and makes more sense. Some may understand "Speed" as you must speed to that mile.

ctsignguy

A late entry....from Connecticut in the 50s-60s
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

roadman

I like Canada's 'Maximum' speed sign the best, although I'd add "Conditions Permitting" if we were to adopt it in the US.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Brandon

I like Canada's "Maximum" ones the best as they're easily understood in English, French, and Spanish (same word).  They also flow nicely with minimum speed limits where "Minimum" is put on the sign.  personally, I'd like to see black-on-yellow limit signage for cars on freeways as a suggested speed limit (advisory signage).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

freebrickproductions

Quote from: ctsignguy on November 27, 2015, 08:14:59 AM
A late entry....from Connecticut in the 50s-60s

I guess that explains why I saw speed limit signs in a drawing in a textbook that went like:

SPEED
LIMIT

Of course, that was also back when I was in elementary school, I think my 4th Grade year as well.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Tarkus

^Similar to that, Oregon used to have a design, I believe from the '60s and earlier, that used the verbiage "Speed XX Miles".  I don't know the exact date that "Miles" was excluded, but I'd guess that it was likely in the '70s.

Sadly, the current "Speed XX" design seems to be getting phased out here.  There's been quite a few "Speed Limit XX" installations going in across the state.  The current sign policy, apparently, is to use the "Speed Limit XX" verbiage for anything within the city limits that isn't a statutory 55 zone, and, of course, interstates.  ODOT Region 2 did actually post a few new "Speed XX" signs as part of a recent sign replacement project on OR-99W, near Rickreall (which is an unincorporated area and thus has no city limits), though Region 4 did post quite a few "Speed Limit XX" signs on OR-97 through Chemult and Gilchrist, which also aren't incorporated.

thenetwork

Not that any of these are my favorite, but what about the Ohio freeway speed limit signs which were in place from the time the nationwide 55 speed limit was abolished until cars & trucks could both to the same speed: 

Or the New York speed limit sign family:

Or the infamous Reasonable & Prudent speed limit signs which once graced Montana highways:

NJ

Quote from: thenetwork on November 28, 2015, 02:07:44 AM
Or the New York speed limit sign family:

Yuck... Too much text when we try to limit as much possible. NY state has horrible speed limit signs.

vdeane

The idea behind those signs is that you don't have to post as many of them.  For example, a village needs only post "Village Speed Limit 30" at the entrances to the villages and then does not need to post a speed limit sign on any other road.  This is not just saving on signage, either; per NY state law, all roads in the state have a speed limit of 55 unless in a municipality or area with a lower blanket limit or NYSDOT does a speed study supporting another limit (and yes, it HAS to be NYSDOT, even for local roads nowhere near the state system).  In many states, a politician can pull a number out of his rear and set the speed limit on a certain road to be that number.  In NY, the only person with that power is Cuomo (though the segments at 65 were legislatively defined for a time; thankfully, they are no longer, aside from a prohibition on posting 65 downstate).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

corco

You realize lawmakers more or less set the speed limits in Oregon, right? "Speed limit 55 everywhere off the interstate" is not "well-engineered"

Oregon drivers don't pay attention to anything because what is posted is often retarded, which makes driving more dangerous.

TXtoNJ

I like Australia's, since the circled number is immediately recognizable internationally, while the shape and white space would make it clear to North American drivers that it's not a route shield, with the added bonus of being similar to current speed limit signs.

NJ

This idea could work for big cities just like it is used in New York City, but not in smaller towns. Signages are important; no need to save on infrastructure. Some people may forget speed limits as well.

Quote from: vdeane on November 28, 2015, 03:52:34 PM
The idea behind those signs is that you don't have to post as many of them.  For example, a village needs only post "Village Speed Limit 30" at the entrances to the villages and then does not need to post a speed limit sign on any other road.  This is not just saving on signage, either; per NY state law, all roads in the state have a speed limit of 55 unless in a municipality or area with a lower blanket limit or NYSDOT does a speed study supporting another limit (and yes, it HAS to be NYSDOT, even for local roads nowhere near the state system).  In many states, a politician can pull a number out of his rear and set the speed limit on a certain road to be that number.  In NY, the only person with that power is Cuomo (though the segments at 65 were legislatively defined for a time; thankfully, they are no longer, aside from a prohibition on posting 65 downstate).

vdeane

Quote from: NJ on November 28, 2015, 06:39:23 PM
This idea could work for big cities just like it is used in New York City, but not in smaller towns. Signages are important; no need to save on infrastructure. Some people may forget speed limits as well.

Quote from: vdeane on November 28, 2015, 03:52:34 PM
It works pretty well.  We tend not to have much speed variation here; almost all cities and most villages are 30, for example, and many of the smaller ones are so small you don't have a chance to forget the limit.  Also, almost all (if not all) roads within a city/village tend to have the same speed limit because nobody wants to pay NYSDOT to do a study without a very good reason.  It's not like other states where nearly every road in town has a different limit.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

BrynM65

As a British traffic signs designer you would probably expect me to say I prefer the red disc.

However, I would personally say the US version is at least blatantly obvious as to what it is telling you. I don't like Australia's backing board but from memory this is used because previously the signs were the US style and changed when they went metric. Keeping the same dimensions presumably allowed early signs to be repainted.
The road giveth, and the road taketh away...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.