News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US-41 Interstate Conversion

Started by ssummers72, February 10, 2009, 09:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterj920

Drove on I-41 today and noticed that the mileage signs include Milwaukee with updated mileage.  I wonder if WISDOT needed FWHA approval before changing the mileage signs. 

The Ghostbuster

Pete From Boston, there was a WIS 41 that traveled from La Crosse to Milwaukee before the coming of the US highway system in 1926 (it is now US 14 from La Crosse to Middleton, and US 18 from Madison to Milwaukee). Wisconsin did not allow duplication of route numbers, whether state highway, US highway, and later Interstate highway. This changed when Interstate 39 was designated in Wisconsin in 1992 (and signed in 1996).

triplemultiplex

Turning US 41 into I-41 is something I started putting on my fictional maps when I was 13 in the 90's so as I drove a long stretch of it this weekend (GB to Oshkosh) I felt quite satisfied.  I like the way the signage is handled where I-41 is the primary focus at all the junctions with US 41 lingering here and there on reassurance markers.

I probably commented on this earlier, but the rebuild through Green Bay is so impressive.  A 10 lane cross-section (2-3-3-2) between WI 29 and Mason Street; I've known for a long time that was the plan, but to see it all done (well, that portion) it's humbling to think about the four lane freeway that used to be there. (Okay, 6 with aux lanes.)

The I-43 junction looks like the NB 43 to SB 41 ramp is much closer to opening than the SB 41 -> SB 43 ramp.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

peterj920

The NB I-43 to SB I-41 ramp is completed, but the I-41 southbound lanes aren't open yet so it's a ramp to nowhere right now.  Between Mason St and Oneida St, there are supposed to be 4 thru lanes with additional auxiliary lanes in between.

mgk920

Five mainline lanes between WI 32 and I-43, too.

Mike

The Ghostbuster

If they used the actual mileage of the relocation of US/Interstate 41 through the Milwaukee area, all of the exits north of the Zoo Interchange would have to be increased by 5.

Fox 11 News

mgk920

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 01, 2016, 01:28:22 PM
If they used the actual mileage of the relocation of US/Interstate 41 through the Milwaukee area, all of the exits north of the Zoo Interchange would have to be increased by 5.

Aren't the mileposts and interchange numbers along I-41 north of Milwaukee based on continuing the sequence of the US 45 freeway exit numbers north of I-94 (Zoo Interchange)?

Mike

The Ghostbuster

It certainly looks that way. I think it's unlikely the existing exit numbers will be changed, even if they are off by 5 miles based on present mileage on Interstate/US 41.

Brandon

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 06, 2016, 06:25:17 PM
It certainly looks that way. I think it's unlikely the existing exit numbers will be changed, even if they are off by 5 miles based on present mileage on Interstate/US 41.

And there's WisDOT precedent for that.  I-39 is the same way, using US-51's mileposts north of Portage.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

peterj920

The mileposts on I-41 and US 45 are identical until the Richfield Split.  The exits after the I-41/US 45 split are both Exit 60.  Wis 145/County FD for US 45 and County FD for I-41.  The BGS on I-41 still say Wis 145, despite the road being turned over to Washington County and becoming County FD. 

The Ghostbuster

Is it possible the exit numbers on US/Interstate 41 are numbered they way they are because those numbers were accurate when US 41 used its pre-1999 route through the Milwaukee area?

peterj920

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 09, 2016, 04:22:06 PM
Is it possible the exit numbers on US/Interstate 41 are numbered they way they are because those numbers were accurate when US 41 used its pre-1999 route through the Milwaukee area?

It's based off of US 45.  There isn't a significant difference in mileage between the two routes so WISDOT probably found it easier for the exit number to sequence from the Zoo Freeway.  The Stadium Freeway didn't have exit numbers but have mile posts still posted, even with the road now being designated as Wis 175.  Mile 40 on the Stadium Freeway is just before Lloyd St, while Watertown Plank Road is Exit 40 along I-41.  There's a shorter distance on US 45 than old US 41 to the Richfield Split, which shows evidence that the route numbers were always based off of US 45. 

SSOWorld

Quote from: peterj920 on February 29, 2016, 12:55:34 PM
Drove on I-41 today and noticed that the mileage signs include Milwaukee with updated mileage.  I wonder if WISDOT needed FWHA approval before changing the mileage signs. 
I drove the route from 1 interchange (Lineville Rd) north of I-43 to WIS-33.  Milwaukee's back on signs in FDL and Dodge Counties - but not in Washington County yet.  I'm not sure why but I think because they're old signs and 45 never really pointed to DT Milwaukee it may have been strange to post it.  They've been resurfacing the freeway between FDL and Lomira (ish)

Side note: Finally!!!! Wausau gets respect!!!!.  Though the west end of the 4-lane WIS-29 says Green Bay as does the cramped cloverleaf at US-53, the east end of the 4-lane (3-miles of 70mph on 29 at I-41 btw) Stevens Point gets respect at US-10 (SB to WB).  The 3-mile approach sign on WIS-29 has Appleton and Marinette as the Control cities. (Which makes sense given the same for I-43 NB before the construction).  Also I-41 was signed SB at the Lineville Rd interchange. - but pull-through signs NB only showed US-41 at the interchange.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

mgk920

Quote from: SSOWorld on June 04, 2016, 10:36:47 PM
Quote from: peterj920 on February 29, 2016, 12:55:34 PM
I drove the route from 1 interchange (Lineville Rd) north of I-43 to WIS-33.  Milwaukee's back on signs in FDL and Dodge Counties - but not in Washington County yet.  I'm not sure why but I think because they're old signs and 45 never really pointed to DT Milwaukee it may have been strange to post it.  They've been resurfacing the freeway between FDL and Lomira (ish)

Side note: Finally!!!! Wausau gets respect!!!!.  Though the west end of the 4-lane WIS-29 says Green Bay as does the cramped cloverleaf at US-53, the east end of the 4-lane (3-miles of 70mph on 29 at I-41 btw) Stevens Point gets respect at US-10 (SB to WB).  The 3-mile approach sign on WIS-29 has Appleton and Marinette as the Control cities. (Which makes sense given the same for I-43 NB before the construction).  Also I-41 was signed SB at the Lineville Rd interchange. - but pull-through signs NB only showed US-41 at the interchange.

Note that that NB overhead BGS on I-41 on the approach to Lineville Rd is in error - it says 'US 41'.  There should also be a 'US 141' shield on it.

I-41's marked north end is at Lineville, BTW.

Mike

dvferyance

Quote from: peterj920 on May 06, 2016, 09:46:41 PM
The mileposts on I-41 and US 45 are identical until the Richfield Split.  The exits after the I-41/US 45 split are both Exit 60.  Wis 145/County FD for US 45 and County FD for I-41.  The BGS on I-41 still say Wis 145, despite the road being turned over to Washington County and becoming County FD.
That's makes sense county FD is like 1/2 a mile long nobody cares that it's even there is so short you can't even put it on the map.

triplemultiplex

I get the impression that WI 145 north of the Granville Interchange is destined to the scrap heap, so one day those signs will change.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

dvferyance

Quote from: triplemultiplex on June 20, 2016, 09:49:11 PM
I get the impression that WI 145 north of the Granville Interchange is destined to the scrap heap, so one day those signs will change.
I hope your wrong they just scraped WI-74 can't we finally just settle for the routes the way they are for once? This is just getting way out of hand.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: dvferyance on June 21, 2016, 11:00:03 AM
I hope your wrong they just scraped WI-74 can't we finally just settle for the routes the way they are for once? This is just getting way out of hand.

You keep saying this, but it is completely untrue.  There is probably more "route stability" in the Wisconsin highway system than anytime that I can recall.  Outside of moving some routes onto bypasses, there has been one major reroute (WI-13 between Rapids and Marshfield), one extension (WI-66) and one decommissioning (WI-74) in the last five years.  Unless I am misremembering something.

If you think this is "way out of hand," you would have been driven crazy in the 1950s where routings changed almost annually.

The Ghostbuster

The 1950s? How about the first couple of decades of the state highway system? There were plenty of changes back then as well.

dvferyance

Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 21, 2016, 11:31:47 AM
Quote from: dvferyance on June 21, 2016, 11:00:03 AM

You keep saying this, but it is completely untrue.  There is probably more "route stability" in the Wisconsin highway system than anytime that I can recall.  Outside of moving some routes onto bypasses, there has been one major reroute (WI-13 between Rapids and Marshfield), one extension (WI-66) and one decommissioning (WI-74) in the last five years.  Unless I am misremembering something.

If you think this is "way out of hand," you would have been driven crazy in the 1950s where routings changed almost annually.
The route of WI-74 changed 4 times within my lifetime. Scaled back out of Milwaukee County reroute of WI-100. Scaled back west of Sussex the extended to Pewaukee then done away with completely. WI-164 was been extended twice and rerouted twice within my lifetime. Waukesha County F has existed on both sides of Waukesha in my lifetime. In Ozaukee County WI-57 was rerouted WI-181 extended WI-84 and WI-143 decommissioned. And this still isn't everything I would say this is more than enough routing changes of course you can disagree but there is no question that in the last coupe of decades there have been lots and lots of them. I look at the Chicago area from 30 years ago it's about the same as today. The only change I am aware of were the east ends of IL-120 and IL-132. Perhaps there has been stability in the rest of the state and I actually I agree with that but in SE Wisconsin is where most of the changes have taken place.

peterj920

New BGS on I-43 for the Atkinson Dr exit telling motorists to use it to get to Velp Ave since access to Velp at I-41 is no longer available with the new flyover ramp. 

The US 141 south/Velp Ave exit closes today for reconstruction.  It is the last interchange to be worked on.  Between Wis 54/Mason St and County G, crews keep inching closer to opening the remaining lanes. 

dvferyance

Thanks for the update. Good to hear it's almost done. Now hopefully I-43 can get the same treatment in the coming years.

peterj920

New northbound lanes opened today between Wis 172 and Wis 54.  Check out pics on Facebook.  Interesting that US 41 reassurance signs were omitted and I-41 is signed solo.

GeekJedi

Quote from: peterj920 on August 16, 2016, 03:46:45 PM
Interesting that US 41 reassurance signs were omitted and I-41 is signed solo.

I still think that's the ultimate fate. US-41 will eventually be "unsigned" along the route, save for a few "41 Follow 41" signs. There are more than a few "uni-assemblies" in Milwaukee that have 894/45/I-41 on a single board, and US-41 on a standalone sign. The new on ramp BGS's on WI-33 and a few other exits show I-41 only, as do the BGS's near the Lake Butte Des Morts bridge in Oshkosh.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.