Pedestrian bridge collapses on M-39/Southfield Freeway

Started by TheStranger, September 26, 2014, 07:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheStranger

Chris Sampang

catch22

thenetwork

MDOT is breathing a heavy sigh of relief that the Jeffries Freeway/I-96 opened up earlier this week instead of later in October as originally thought.  I-96 will be helpful for some from getting to the Dearborn Southfield area to the Novi Romulus/Metro Airport Area.

Just realized the closure was south of I-96

Zeffy

Jeez, that looks like a mess. Unfortunately, the driver died as a result from not wearing his seatbelt... I read that the truck had a "boom" on it's roof that caused it to collide with the bridge - what exactly is a boom when referring to trucks?
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Zeffy on September 26, 2014, 04:03:16 PM
Jeez, that looks like a mess. Unfortunately, the driver died as a result from not wearing his seatbelt... I read that the truck had a "boom" on it's roof that caused it to collide with the bridge - what exactly is a boom when referring to trucks?

Simply something similar to this.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=truck%20boom

catch22

Quote from: Zeffy on September 26, 2014, 04:03:16 PM

This is a link to a YouTube video from the company that owns the truck.  It has views of a similar truck ... imagine the platform of that truck in the full "up" position (minus the Dumpster) and you can see how hitting the bridge would end badly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMIapahLkcw

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.