USEnds.com site featured in MetaFilter

Started by kurumi, July 03, 2016, 05:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

http://www.metafilter.com/160739/If-I-had-to-sum-it-up-in-a-single-word-Id-say-signs

Dale Sanderson is a third generation map nerd (and professional cartographer) and the creator of USEnds.com an extensive site full of photos of and trivia about US highway endpoints. Submit your own!

The submitter, jessamyn, is very famous at MetaFilter (was a mod for 10 years), so this reflects very well on Dale and his site.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

andy3175

Quote from: kurumi on July 03, 2016, 05:40:48 PM
http://www.metafilter.com/160739/If-I-had-to-sum-it-up-in-a-single-word-Id-say-signs

Dale Sanderson is a third generation map nerd (and professional cartographer) and the creator of USEnds.com an extensive site full of photos of and trivia about US highway endpoints. Submit your own!

The submitter, jessamyn, is very famous at MetaFilter (was a mod for 10 years), so this reflects very well on Dale and his site.

Agree. Usends.com is terrific, and is undergoing a major upgrade currently. The new version will feature more historic maps. Kudos to Dan and here's to his effort to improve his webpage again!
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

hbelkins

Some of us have never heard of MetaFilter before this.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

usends

Quote from: hbelkins on July 04, 2016, 06:07:31 PM
Some of us have never heard of MetaFilter before this.
...including me; thanks for the heads-up, Kurumi.  These rare glimpses into what non-roadgeeks think of our chosen hobby are enlightening:

"map nerd"
"something it never even occurred to me to geek out about"
"mysteriously fascinating"
"cataloging something I had never thought to notice"
"fabulously geeky"
"Web 1.0 design that continues to function quite well" (I'm not even sure what that means, but it doesn't sound like a compliment)
"I love this website"
"this site thrills me to death"
"I love these little pockets of nerdery"
"This is seriously cool. I had no idea [US 6] was still continuous; that is amazing"
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

Bruce

Quote from: usends on July 08, 2016, 11:39:55 AM
"Web 1.0 design that continues to function quite well" (I'm not even sure what that means, but it doesn't sound like a compliment)

Web 1.0 generally describes websites such as yours that came before the rise of user-generated content (Wikipedia, YouTube, and the like). It usually gets thrown around at old sites that look god-awful today, so this seems like a compliment and testament for the site's longevity.

Max Rockatansky

Great website, I use it a ton for references...but what the hell is MetaFilter?   :-D

hbelkins

Quote from: Bruce on July 08, 2016, 11:23:46 PM
Quote from: usends on July 08, 2016, 11:39:55 AM

Web 1.0 generally describes websites such as yours that came before the rise of user-generated content (Wikipedia, YouTube, and the like). It usually gets thrown around at old sites that look god-awful today, so this seems like a compliment and testament for the site's longevity.

I thought Web 1.0 referred to sites designed with basic HTML before the advent of CSS, etc.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

That's what I figured too.  Web 2.0 would then be with CSS but before user-generated content.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jessamyn

Oh hey I signed up because I saw the mention here! MetaFilter is a big forum sort of like this one but it's in blog format. It's been around since 1999 and I used to work there from 2005 til 2014. It's full of old school web people, usually, sharing interesting stuff they've found on the web. As you can see, some of the people can be grouchy internet people. :rolleyes: Some of the discussion there, especially lately, is political but there's also just tracking down neat interesting stuff on the internet, a place we all love, and talking about it.

We've also got a Q&A forum part of the site and there's a question there based on a photo of a road sign I took on my trip which folks here might enjoy.

I found USEnds because I was looking for information on Route 20 and I think I found the link from here when I was googling. My sister and I are working on a slow motion road trip to drive the length of (current) Route 20, in stages. This month we drove from Boston MA (where the END sign is missing!) to Dyersville IA and then back along more conventional highways. It was really fun. I'm not a road nerd as much as a small town nerd and a library nerd, so it was great to see a lot of random town centers and small town libraries. And, of course, road signs.

When I'm not going on road trips I'm also a small town librarian and technology educator who has given talks about Web 2.0. It's usually meant to refer to sites that have some sort of interactive option, social aspect, or other thing that allows users to collaborate and not just read. Dynamic in some way. It's a sort of made up word and I think the MeFite comment was meant to say "Hey this site just has static content, but it's still useful and relevant" As someone who really appreciates the old web as well as the new web, I love coming across sites like USEnds (and discussion forums like this one) and just wanted to say hello and thanks.

Max Rockatansky

Speaking of USends, anyone noticed the site is completely updated with a new look?  The maps link over to a Flickr page now....I did think that felt weird to view.  I like the updates that were done on the endpoint pages for each route though, they are way easier to read in the new format.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.