News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Anti-Sign Tampering Warning Stickers

Started by peterj920, May 24, 2016, 12:13:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterj920

This is a sticker warning of penalties for tampering with a sign in the Village of Kimberly.  Many signs at the state and local level have stickers attached to signs, usually in the lower right hand corner.  Would like to see if there are any other variations in other states. 

Brian556

$25 is an awfully low fine, especially considering that stealing a stop sign endangers people's lives. This is the first time Ive seen one on the front of a sign.

Osceola County, FL uses triangular stickers. They also screen print the date on street name signs.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Brian556 on May 24, 2016, 12:26:02 AM
$25 is an awfully low fine, especially considering that stealing a stop sign endangers people's lives. This is the first time Ive seen one on the front of a sign.

Osceola County, FL uses triangular stickers. They also screen print the date on street name signs.

Probably because the law was created in 1950 and was never updated. I'm sure there's other laws that they can hit you with if one were to actually get caught stealing a sign.

vdeane

Plus who knows how many surcharges get added afterwards.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

paulthemapguy

In a village like this, you might expect enough people around to notice a vandal and report him/her.  You'd probably be less likely to see a sticker like this in a rural area, where there's no hope of enforcement, but some agencies have stickers on every sign systematically.  Below, you'll see two pictures I took in Will County, where I'm from.  One is on the back of a state (IDOT) issued sign, and the other is on a sign issued by the county.

Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Bitmapped

Harrison County, Ohio used to spray paint a large stencil reading "Har Co Hwy" across the front of their signs for a similar reason.

jay8g

kphoger

I keep wanting to make some stickers that say "WRONG SIGN" / "SHOULD BE" and then blank space in which I could write a reference code to the correct highway sign in Sharpie. Would slapping such a sticker on the front of a sign count as vandalism? (OK, I know the answer.)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: kphoger on May 28, 2016, 10:58:58 PM
I keep wanting to make some stickers that say "WRONG SIGN" / "SHOULD BE" and then blank space in which I could write a reference code to the correct highway sign in Sharpie. Would slapping such a sticker on the front of a sign count as vandalism? (OK, I know the answer.)

You can always contact the road agency (municipal, county, township, or state) responsible for the sign, if you know which agency has jurisdiction over that road.  Perhaps a good addition to the sticker would be "Call (phone number) to report damage or deficiencies with this sign."

1995hoo

Quote from: peterj920 on May 24, 2016, 12:13:30 AM

It would be nice if they learned what an apostrophe looks like as opposed to an opening single quotation mark.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

peterj920

WISDOT puts this on the front of their signs

MASTERNC

Saw stickers like these in Amherst, NY this week as well

briantroutman

$25-100? When you add in the labor to install it, that price is barely the replacement cost, right? Doesn't seem high enough to scare away someone looking to decorate his den.

Brandon

Quote from: paulthemapguy on May 26, 2016, 10:12:26 AM
In a village like this, you might expect enough people around to notice a vandal and report him/her.  You'd probably be less likely to see a sticker like this in a rural area, where there's no hope of enforcement, but some agencies have stickers on every sign systematically.  Below, you'll see two pictures I took in Will County, where I'm from.  One is on the back of a state (IDOT) issued sign, and the other is on a sign issued by the county.

Over in New Lenox, off Laraway Road, I see.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

paulthemapguy

Quote from: briantroutman on July 08, 2016, 07:15:28 PM
$25-100? When you add in the labor to install it, that price is barely the replacement cost, right? Doesn't seem high enough to scare away someone looking to decorate his den.

Hah that's exactly what I thought too.
I'm pretty sure most road agencies have stickers like these--I demand more pictures!!

Quote from: Brandon on July 08, 2016, 07:57:58 PM

--photo--

For some reason I knew you'd be able to pinpoint the location of this photo.  I may or may not spend a lot of my time in that vicinity >_> <_<

peterj920

First sticker I've seen in Wisconsin that has a fine higher than $25 to $100

Scott5114

stop documenting all the tackamarks, you'll make the New World Order have a sad
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Jardine

I don't know why removing a stop sign wouldn't be viewed as seriously as dropping a cement block off an overpass.

:confused:

kphoger

Quote from: Brandon on July 08, 2016, 07:57:58 PM

Interestingly, the only street sign I own was taken from New Lenox. That was back in the 80s, and a speed limit sign had fallen off its post. My dad put it in the car on his way home from work to give to me.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hm insulators

Here in the Phoenix area, I've seen signs with reflective tape on the posts (yellow reflective tape on, say STOP AHEAD or arrow signs, red reflective tape for stop signs, which make the signs easier to see at night; they're especially common in Sun City West), and the tacmar crowd get their undershorts in a bind over those.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Quillz

Do you think these actually work? There are many missing CA-23 and US-101 shields in the Ventura County area, despite all of them being stamped with the "PROPERTY STATE OF CALIFORNIA" legend. I'm not really sure exactly how a sticker is going to stop theft. If someone wants a sign, they'll steal a sign. When it became known US-666 was getting renumbered, there was a report of someone deliberately crashing a car into a sign gantry just to get the shield.

Brian556

Recently, on ebay, I saw a California state route marker with "Property of State of California" scratched off. I thought it was hilarious because it was so obvious, and was basically an admission of guilt of selling stolen property to me even more so that the people that leave it on there, cause the state or contractors could have sold those as scrap.

Quillz

Wonder how much sign theft would be prevented if the state DOTs simply sold replicas signs via their site? I know Yellowknife did this to cut down on Ragged Ass Road sign theft. I think people who might otherwise steal signs would buy one legally if the option was available. (And they are probably unaware of sites like this one that do offer some sign sales.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.