News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SectorZ

Quote from: csw on June 09, 2017, 04:46:22 PM
Funny you should say that, because it appears KYDOT made a mistake on the previous sign....

I would call that inconsistent design rather than a mistake.

hbelkins

It's supposed to matter. The city on the left of the exit is supposed to appear first, and the city on the right is to appear second. It's possible that the half-mile signs got installed on the wrong side of the road. Southbound should say "Owensboro/Sebree" and it's possible it says "Sebree/Owensboro."

2016 Alabama Meet Trip Day 1 - 141 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

And what do you know? This is southbound on the new I-69, taken last fall. They did get the signs flip-flopped on the wrong direction.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jakeroot

Funny you should say that, because it appears KYDOT made a mistake on the previous sign....

http://i.imgur.com/MLWEWce.jpg

On the 2 mile and 1/2 mile advanced guide signs, "EXIT" and "134" seem too close together.

seicer

Are those numbers patched?

Eth

Quote from: jakeroot on June 09, 2017, 08:49:58 PM

On the 2 mile and 1/2 mile advanced guide signs, "EXIT" and "134" seem too close together.
Quote from: seicer on June 09, 2017, 09:23:33 PM

A quick consultation of Wikipedia suggests that they are likely patches over the old number 63.

hbelkins

Quote from: Eth on June 09, 2017, 09:48:12 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on June 09, 2017, 08:49:58 PM

Quote from: seicer on June 09, 2017, 09:23:33 PM

A quick consultation of Wikipedia suggests that they are likely patches over the old number 63.

There was a complete sign replacement along the Pennyrile between the WK and US 60 at Henderson.

formulanone

Quote from: hbelkins on June 09, 2017, 08:13:40 PM
It's supposed to matter. The city on the left of the exit is supposed to appear first, and the city on the right is to appear second. It's possible that the half-mile signs got installed on the wrong side of the road. Southbound should say "Owensboro/Sebree" and it's possible it says "Sebree/Owensboro."

I always figured it was typically the larger/closer/immediate city (or equivalent) first, and the secondary/further was next, if they're on the same single sign...with respect to east-west or north-south (one for each direction).

JJBers

Quote from: formulanone on June 11, 2017, 10:56:34 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on June 09, 2017, 08:13:40 PM

I always figured it was typically the larger/closer/immediate city (or equivalent) first, and the secondary/further was next, if they're on the same single sign...with respect to east-west or north-south (one for each direction).
Same thought here, a lot of CT signs do that
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

Voyager75

18th Street N. in Birmingham, AL. Doubt these '57 spec shields will be around much longer as this on ramp will be removed after the I-20/59 bridge replacement project.

7/8

I got my first photos of button-copy signage today! These are both in Toledo on I-75.

jakeroot

The Exit 209 sign looks excellent, but the other two are quickly losing their "best-of" status (if the peeling means anything to anyone else).

Which reminds me: does a damaged or worn sign, with something like button copy or a unique state-named shield, still count as best-of?

I remember seeing (on another thread) some NJ Turnpike signage where the black paint was fading off, and revealing the green below it. I thought it looked like shit but I was berated heavily for claiming as much.

7/8

Quote from: jakeroot on July 02, 2017, 09:22:47 PM
The Exit 209 sign looks excellent, but the other two are quickly losing their "best-of" status (if the peeling means anything to anyone else).

Which reminds me: does a damaged or worn sign, with something like button copy or a unique state-named shield, still count as best-of?

I remember seeing (on another thread) some NJ Turnpike signage where the black paint was fading off, and revealing the green below it. I thought it looked like shit but I was berated heavily for claiming as much.

I can see your point of view, but for me, I find it cool to see any button-copy (I never see it in Ontario). Indianapolis had lots of good button copy, but I was the one driving in the city, so I didn't get any photos.

amroad17

Come down to Cincinnati.  There are many, many BGS's that are button copy on I-75 and there are even more on I-71.  Better come soon because many button copy signs on some of the other highways (Ronald Reagan/Cross County, I-275, I-75 in the reconstructed zones, and I-74) have been or are being replaced by reflective or Clearview signage.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

US 89

Quote from: amroad17 on July 03, 2017, 01:05:50 AM
Come down to Cincinnati.  There are many, many BGS's that are button copy on I-75 and there are even more on I-71.  Better come soon because many button copy signs on some of the other highways (Ronald Reagan/Cross County, I-275, I-75 in the reconstructed zones, and I-74) have been or are being replaced by reflective or Clearview signage.

That's one hell of a double whammy. Bye bye button copy, hello Clearview. Ugh.

amroad17

Yes, all of the BGS's in the Thru the Valley reconstruction on I-75 in Cincinnati (currently from Harrison Ave, Exit 2B, to the Norwood Lateral, Exit 7) have been or are being replaced (in the case of the Lateral) by Clearview signage.  Signs north of the Lateral are a mix of reflective Gothic and button copy.  Many of the Clearview signs aren't too bad with the exception being the Mitchell Ave (Exit 6) signage.  The signs are a bit cluttered with the Exit Only part sort of "tacked on" to the northbound signs.

A few years ago, Fayette County in Ohio changed all the BGS's on I-71 and on US 35 from button copy or reflective Gothic to Clearview.  Again, many of the signs do not look too bad with maybe a couple of exceptions.  It is interesting traveling on US 35 from Fayette County into Ross County and seeing signs go from Clearview to reflective Gothic.  Likewise traveling south on I-71 from Fayette into Greene County.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

SignGeek101

Quote from: 7/8 on July 02, 2017, 09:31:40 PM

I can see your point of view, but for me, I find it cool to see any button-copy (I never see it in Ontario). Indianapolis had lots of good button copy, but I was the one driving in the city, so I didn't get any photos.

The only button copy in all of Canada I'm aware of (that was still there as of October 2016) is in Calgary.

https://goo.gl/maps/5aeGdyvUxpr

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: roadguy2 on July 03, 2017, 01:55:51 AM

That raises the question, or at least to me it does, has there (n)ever been an example in the wild of button-copy Clearview? Or is it the sort of the thing we'll see/get when we get I-70 through Baltimore or a renumbered I-99?  :spin:
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

PHLBOS

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on July 03, 2017, 03:03:37 PMThat raises the question, or at least to me it does, has there (n)ever been an example in the wild of button-copy Clearview?
Guess on my part: no. 
The likely reason being that the newest examples of button-copy signage were fabricated years prior to the first Clearview signage being made.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jakeroot

Quote from: SignGeek101 on July 03, 2017, 02:36:12 AM

The only button copy in all of Canada I'm aware of (that was still there as of October 2016) is in Calgary.

Excellent find! (Assuming you found it.) I've never seen button copy outside of the US before.

Almost worth making a trip to take a photo while it still stands.

FWIW, I don't believe Vancouver ever used button copy.

US 89

Quote from: jakeroot on July 03, 2017, 07:32:49 PM
Quote from: SignGeek101 on July 03, 2017, 02:36:12 AM

Excellent find! (Assuming you found it.) I've never seen button copy outside of the US before.

Almost worth making a trip to take a photo while it still stands.

FWIW, I don't believe Vancouver ever used button copy.

Wow.

Also, I like the horizontal signal on the Prepare to Stop sign. Never seen that before, even in places with horizontal signals.

hbelkins

Then some of those signage plans must have been active for quite some time. How long's it been since Clearview went bye-bye? Definitely more than a year.

Quote from: roadguy2 on July 03, 2017, 01:55:51 AM

Happened on the westernmost 15 miles of I-64 in West Virginia about four years ago. Button copy between the Kentucky state line and the US 60 Barboursville exit was replaced with Clearview. Included in the sign replacement project was a sign for Exit 1 in Kentucky that had been replaced by Kentucky not all that many years prior.

seicer

Many of those signs were fabricated before the Clearview test was rescinded (but is open for states to use again) for the reconstruction of I-75 south of the Norwood Lateral/SR 562.

Kniwt

epzik8

I just dug up this one from the eastbound Pennsylvania Turnpike approaching Breezewood:
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

noelbotevera

Quote from: epzik8 on July 10, 2017, 04:17:19 PM
I just dug up this one from the eastbound Pennsylvania Turnpike approaching Breezewood:
(snip)
There's actually a continuation of that sign - I think it says "USE I-70 EAST" or something. I can't quite remember, but that set of signs is similar to the I-70 descent into Denver out west.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.