News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

CA 14 north Control Point

Started by Interstate Trav, July 16, 2014, 04:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Interstate Trav

I was wondering, I saw a picture of a sign on CA 14 North after Rosamond Bl, and it listed Mojave Bishop and Reno.  I haven't been in that area in a while and the old sign used to say Jct 58 Mojave- California City- Bishop.

So I was wondering if anyone knew if they changed it and if Reno really makes an appreance all the way down in the Northern Antelope Valley in Rosamond.

JustDrive

Reno only appears in Kern County mileage signs.  The old 14/58 junction in Mojave headed northbound had both Bishop and Reno signed at the north junction.

admtrap

That stretch of 14 North was formerly US 6.    US 6 used to run concurrent with US 395 from Ridgecrest up to Bishop, and the way to Reno from there is to continue on US 395.   The next city of any size on US 6 would be Tonopah NV, and after that, Ely NV, then the Salt Lake City metro area.   So yeah, Reno is a reasonable control point for that route, given the alternatives.

roadfro

^ You could conceivably swap out Reno for Carson City. But by that point, Reno is only another 30 miles or so further.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Interstate Trav

Quote from: JustDrive on July 16, 2014, 05:06:02 PM
Reno only appears in Kern County mileage signs.  The old 14/58 junction in Mojave headed northbound had both Bishop and Reno signed at the north junction.

I remember those signs, those were the only signs I remember saying Reno. 

Also for the turn off in South Mojave 58 east had a sign for Las Vegas.

I just didn't remember Reno being on that mileage Sign in Rosamond. 

KEK Inc.

Related question.  What's the control cities for I-605?
Take the road less traveled.

emory

Quote from: KEK Inc. on July 20, 2014, 03:22:59 PM

I don't think it has any.

sdmichael

The 605 has either North / South or Thru Traffic. I personally think that North and South are suburbs of the greater Thru Traffic Metropolitan Area (TTMA).

Interstate Trav

Quote from: emory on July 20, 2014, 04:26:09 PM

605 is known for not having any Control Cities.  I think it's the only Los Angeles Freeway to not have any.

to be fair though going north it doesn't go to any major destination, just suburbs and going South it's better to use 710 to get to long Beach then 605. 

But it would still be nice if they listed something 

sdmichael

My site has photos of a few of the overhead signs on the 605. Yeah, I think I even put on there that it is an oddity in the LA area for the "Thru Traffic" signage.
http://socalregion.com/highways/la_highways/i-605/

About State 14 - The sign in question is new. It used to have Mojave / California City / Bishop. Reno didn't appear as a control city until the Owens Valley, possibly near Big Pine.

DTComposer

Quote from: Interstate Trav on July 22, 2014, 02:47:19 AM

605 is known for not having any Control Cities.  I think it's the only Los Angeles Freeway to not have any.

to be fair though going north it doesn't go to any major destination, just suburbs and going South it's better to use 710 to get to long Beach then 605. 

There are other freeways that have sections without control cities:
-CA-91 west from I-605 uses THRU TRAFFIC
-CA-2 north from CA-134 I think just has the shield and directional
I'm sure there are others...

I think I-605 south from I-210 could use Long Beach as a control city; since the I-710 gap won't be filled anytime soon, people coming from I-210 would use I-605, either to the end at CA-22/7th Street (which is signed for Long Beach) or by cutting over to I-710.
I think Whittier, El Monte, Norwalk would be a fine choice for control cities; they're definitely more suburban than most control cities, but they're larger and well-known regionally.
If CA-91 can use Beach Cities, perhaps NB could use San Gabriel Valley.

roadman65

Quote from: sdmichael on July 22, 2014, 11:06:04 AM
My site has photos of a few of the overhead signs on the 605. Yeah, I think I even put on there that it is an oddity in the LA area for the "Thru Traffic" signage.
http://socalregion.com/highways/la_highways/i-605/

About State 14 - The sign in question is new. It used to have Mojave / California City / Bishop. Reno didn't appear as a control city until the Owens Valley, possibly near Big Pine.
Many of the signs on CA 14 are old US 6 leftovers either original or copied from before.  Bishop is when US 6 was routed all the way to Long Beach and for those heading east on it before truncation to its current western terminus.  Hence why US 6 in CA is signed N-S and not E-W.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

sdmichael

Actually, US 6 is signed E/W now. US 6 was signed E/W when it went to Long Beach as well.

J N Winkler

Quote from: JustDrive on July 16, 2014, 05:06:02 PMReno only appears in Kern County mileage signs.  The old 14/58 junction in Mojave headed northbound had both Bishop and Reno signed at the north junction.

It still does, per StreetView.  The current signs are near carbon copies of originals I photographed in 2002.  The main difference is that the right-turn arrow on the right-hand sign is now white on green (not black on yellow) and the left-hand sign says "TO."
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

emory

Quote from: sdmichael on July 22, 2014, 02:03:18 PM
Actually, US 6 is signed E/W now. US 6 was signed E/W when it went to Long Beach as well.

When was US 6 routed down the Hollywood Freeway?

TheStranger

Quote from: emory on July 23, 2014, 12:34:09 AM
Quote from: sdmichael on July 22, 2014, 02:03:18 PM

When was US 6 routed down the Hollywood Freeway?

It was supposed to be routed through there in the early 1960s (notice the planning document above that photo in the original post), but I'm not sure if it was ever signed before the 1964 renumbering.  Before the construction of what is now 170, 6 followed 99 on the San Fernando Road corridor (maybe the Golden State Freeway once that was built) to the Arroyo Seco Parkway.
Chris Sampang

sdmichael

US 6 did follow the Golden State Freeway as well. I have photos of some of that signage. It was also signed, briefly, on the south end of the current 170 from about Burbank Blvd south to the 134/101 interchange. By August 1963, US 6 was shortened and the signage on the 170 was replaced.

mrsman

Quote from: DTComposer on July 22, 2014, 01:35:14 PM
Quote from: Interstate Trav on July 22, 2014, 02:47:19 AM

There are other freeways that have sections without control cities:
-CA-91 west from I-605 uses THRU TRAFFIC
-CA-2 north from CA-134 I think just has the shield and directional
I'm sure there are others...

I think I-605 south from I-210 could use Long Beach as a control city; since the I-710 gap won't be filled anytime soon, people coming from I-210 would use I-605, either to the end at CA-22/7th Street (which is signed for Long Beach) or by cutting over to I-710.
I think Whittier, El Monte, Norwalk would be a fine choice for control cities; they're definitely more suburban than most control cities, but they're larger and well-known regionally.
If CA-91 can use Beach Cities, perhaps NB could use San Gabriel Valley.

I-605: Duarte / Seal Beach

Simple.

AndyMax25

All, I just obtained this very interesting map from a contact at Caltrans D7.  It is dated Jan 1, 1982, hence the SR 7 shield (the 105 freeway must have been drawn in later).  Although it says "THIS PLAN IS NOT FORMALLY APPROVED", the current engineers use it as their main guide for new signage.

Notice at the top along SR 14 that Lancaster is scratched off and Mojave is written in.  Also notice along SR 91 where the LA/Riverside changes to West/East at the OC county line.  And of course there is the distinct THRU TRAFFIC shown along 605.

My 2 cents is that back in the 60's and 70's when the 605 was being designed, they probably did not want to use control Cities such as Duarte or Seal Beach because those areas were not very well known to the public, nor were they major destinations.  It also did not make sense to use any of the regular city names since the freeway does not logically lead to one of those.  If I was in charge of signing off on new plans today, I would put Long Beach for all of the southbound side signs (granted the freeway  does not go towards to downtown LB city limits but neither does the 405 enter Santa Monica) and TO 210 for all of the northbound signs.

Enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tk4lbldc5iz0y2q/Caltrans%20D7%20Control%20Cities%20Map.pdf

roadfro

^ That is really neat. Thanks for sharing.

It'd be interesting to see if something like that, updated, still exists (or exists) for other districts.

EDIT: Moved parenthesis to make better sense of my thought.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Interstate Trav

Quote from: AndyMax25 on July 24, 2014, 07:37:45 PM
All, I just obtained this very interesting map from a contact at Caltrans D7.  It is dated Jan 1, 1982, hence the SR 7 shield (the 105 freeway must have been drawn in later).  Although it says "THIS PLAN IS NOT FORMALLY APPROVED", the current engineers use it as their main guide for new signage.

Notice at the top along SR 14 that Lancaster is scratched off and Mojave is written in.  Also notice along SR 91 where the LA/Riverside changes to West/East at the OC county line.  And of course there is the distinct THRU TRAFFIC shown along 605.

My 2 cents is that back in the 60's and 70's when the 605 was being designed, they probably did not want to use control Cities such as Duarte or Seal Beach because those areas were not very well known to the public, nor were they major destinations.  It also did not make sense to use any of the regular city names since the freeway does not logically lead to one of those.  If I was in charge of signing off on new plans today, I would put Long Beach for all of the southbound side signs (granted the freeway  does not go towards to downtown LB city limits but neither does the 405 enter Santa Monica) and TO 210 for all of the northbound signs.

Enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tk4lbldc5iz0y2q/Caltrans%20D7%20Control%20Cities%20Map.pdf

That is a really cool map.  Thank you for sharing!!

It is very accuracte for CA 14 too, because if I'm not mistaken Palmdale is signed at all 14 North On Ramps until Pearblossom, and then Lancaster is at Ave S and then from Palmdale Blvd on Mojave is signed for all CA 14 Northbound onramps.

Interstate Trav

I think, maybe "East" Long Beach Could be signed for 605 South and for 605 North sign San Bernardino or Pomona since most of the traffic is truck traffic and is connecting to CA 60 East or I-10 East.

Also on a sidenote I hope no one thinks I have a problem with Reno being signed at Roasmond blvd, I was just curious if it really was signed or something someone posted that was fake.
I've stated before the CA 14 Freeway is one of my personal favorites.  I haven't been able to drive it for a while and I like to get as much info on it as I can.

sdmichael

Quote from: Interstate Trav on July 25, 2014, 01:39:43 AM
Also on a sidenote I hope no one thinks I have a problem with Reno being signed at Roasmond blvd, I was just curious if it really was signed or something someone posted that was fake.
I've stated before the CA 14 Freeway is one of my personal favorites.  I haven't been able to drive it for a while and I like to get as much info on it as I can.

I used to live off of the 14 in Canyon Country. It was the first State highway I ever traveled. My site, while it needs updating, has a few photos of the 14. http://socalregion.com/highways/la_highways/sr-14/

andy3175

Thank you for sharing this map!

It is interesting to me that Hollywood is not listed as a control city for US 101 yet still appears as if it were a control city on overhead signage.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

DTComposer

Quote from: andy3175 on July 27, 2014, 01:24:13 AM

Thank you for sharing this map!

It is interesting to me that Hollywood is not listed as a control city for US 101 yet still appears as if it were a control city on overhead signage.

A couple other thoughts:

-CA-91 westbound: I've seen Long Beach used on a couple of signs on the surface streets leading to the freeways (which I though was a vestige of US-91), but not on any pull-throughs. From I-5 west to the L.A. County line, they're now using Artesia (which is silly, IMO).

-CA-118 westbound: I see Simi Valley was crossed out in favor of Ventura, but in reality, I think most signs just say West, with one lone sign (on I-405 SB) saying Simi Valley.

-CA-126: The handwritten changes date from 1987 or later, since Santa Clarita didn't exist prior to that point.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.