News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

iDRIVE Arkansas - Travel and Construction Information for Arkansas

Started by AHTD, January 14, 2014, 12:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AHTD

We are pleased to announce that iDRIVE Arkansas is now available in Google Play and the iTunes App Store.

iDRIVE Arkansas is your source of traveler information for Arkansas Highways! This FREE app downloads a bookmark to your mobile device homepage for easy access to idrivearkansas.com - the official travel and construction information web site produced by the Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department (AHTD).

At this time, iDRIVE Arkansas exists only as a web site - but one that looks good on just about every mobile device. A true native app will be developed once the web site is completed.

CHECK TRAVEL CONDITIONS HERE: www.idrivearkansas.com

Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

US71

Quote from: AHTD on January 14, 2014, 12:21:58 PM
We are pleased to announce that iDRIVE Arkansas is now available in Google Play and the iTunes App Store.

iDRIVE Arkansas is your source of traveler information for Arkansas Highways! This FREE app downloads a bookmark to your mobile device homepage for easy access to idrivearkansas.com - the official travel and construction information web site produced by the Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department (AHTD).

At this time, iDRIVE Arkansas exists only as a web site - but one that looks good on just about every mobile device. A true native app will be developed once the web site is completed.

CHECK TRAVEL CONDITIONS HERE: www.idrivearkansas.com

Excellent! Thank you.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

You download an app that....opens a URL?  Wouldn't a shortcut be easier and take up less space?

M86

Quote from: bugo on January 15, 2014, 01:13:41 AM
You download an app that....opens a URL?  Wouldn't a shortcut be easier and take up less space?

Baby steps... I have DOT apps on my phone from states that have half the population of Arkansas.

Again, baby steps.

AHTD

If you point your mobile browser to the site, it will give you the option to create a "bookmark" or a "shortcut." Simple as that is, we found surprisingly that not everyone knows how to do this. We are covering an additional base here with a "shell app" that looks and feels like an app to the end-user, but really only functions as a bookmark/shortcut.

We are upfront with the public about this as it is explained in the app description in both stores. Hopefully folks will read that information and understand what to expect.

AHTD

Quote from: M86 on January 15, 2014, 01:23:22 AM

Baby steps... I have DOT apps on my phone from states that have half the population of Arkansas.

Again, baby steps.

Baby steps, indeed.

Our plan is to complete the web site and move on to app development.

bugo

Quote from: AHTD on January 15, 2014, 01:26:30 PM

If you point your mobile browser to the site, it will give you the option to create a "bookmark" or a "shortcut." Simple as that is, we found surprisingly that not everyone knows how to do this. We are covering an additional base here with a "shell app" that looks and feels like an app to the end-user, but really only functions as a bookmark/shortcut.

Do you think Arkansans really don't know how to make a bookmark or to even just type the URL into the browser?

AHTD

No, what we're saying is that we have found that we must account for ALL skill levels when it comes to mobile devices, desktop computers and the like. Even with our move toward technology, we still have to account for folks that don't have computers.

Remember- our demographic is ANYONE that can drive. And that encompasses a wide variety of skill levels.

agentsteel53

nothing like an overt confession of catering to the lowest common denominator.  no wonder our country can't have nice things.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

cjk374

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 17, 2014, 09:56:40 AM
nothing like an overt confession of catering to the lowest common denominator.  no wonder our country can't have nice things.

AMEN!!!!!
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

bugo

Quote from: AHTD on January 17, 2014, 09:50:05 AM
Remember- our demographic is ANYONE that can drive. And that encompasses a wide variety of skill levels.

Motorists with 6 DUIs can drive?  12 year olds can drive?  The legally blind can drive?  Those with no driver license can drive?

Alps

Quote from: bugo on January 18, 2014, 03:38:28 PM

Motorists with 6 DUIs can drive?  12 year olds can drive?  The legally blind can drive?  Those with no driver license can drive?
No, he clearly said "anyone that can drive," not "anyone can drive".

bugo

Quote from: Steve on January 18, 2014, 09:02:51 PM

All of them can drive (except for the blind) but legally they cannot.

Alps

Quote from: bugo on January 18, 2014, 10:03:48 PM
Quote from: Steve on January 18, 2014, 09:02:51 PM

All of them can drive (except for the blind) but legally they cannot.
Pedant.

US71

(m)Alice Walton?  :cheers:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

AHTD

We have added a link on the site to the new Toward Zero Deaths site for Arkansas.

Check it out: www.idrivearkansas.com

M86

AHTD

We will eventually replace www.arkansashighways.com with a new site. It will not be iDRIVE Arkansas. Once we complete development for iDRIVE (the web site) and iDRIVE apps, we will turn our attention to the main site.

This new site will make information available that currently isn't, such as planning studies, etc. We will be making provisions so that folks on this forum will be able to go to the site and find what they are looking for. And we'll count on everyone here on the forum to help us with feedback on ease of navigation and locating information.

But for now, we would appreciate feedback on iDRIVE Arkansas.

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

M86

Quote from: AHTD on February 04, 2014, 11:05:04 AM
We will eventually replace www.arkansashighways.com with a new site. It will not be iDRIVE Arkansas. Once we complete development for iDRIVE (the web site) and iDRIVE apps, we will turn our attention to the main site.

This new site will make information available that currently isn't, such as planning studies, etc. We will be making provisions so that folks on this forum will be able to go to the site and find what they are looking for. And we'll count on everyone here on the forum to help us with feedback on ease of navigation and locating information.

AHTD, I've had issues with the iDrive Arkansas Android app.  It started a few days ago.  I use a Google Nexus 4 with Android KitKat 4.4.

bugo

The name "Arkansas Highways" was stolen from my website* that dates to 1997.  I'm not going to bother suing because it isn't worth it and I wouldn't win, but I did have the name first, I just didn't have the foresight to buy the domain.

* http://www.oocities.org/watuzi/state.html

AHTD

AHTD

Quote from: M86 on February 05, 2014, 01:17:00 AM

AHTD, I've had issues with the iDrive Arkansas Android app.  It started a few days ago.  I use a Google Nexus 4 with Android KitKat 4.4.

Specifically what type of issues? Try deleting the icon and downloading again from Google Play and let us know if that worked.

M86

Quote from: AHTD on February 05, 2014, 04:33:01 PM
Quote from: M86 on February 05, 2014, 01:17:00 AM

Specifically what type of issues? Try deleting the icon and downloading again from Google Play and let us know if that worked.

I uninstalled iDrive AR, and reinstalled it... Same issue.

I'll click on it, and I'll see *loading* (with the animation symbol), but then it will go to a white background, with a top border that has the logo and iDrive AR.

AHTD

Thanks for the information. Developers are looking at this.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.