News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Redoing the intersection for Oh 750 & Oh 315 (Powell Rd & Olentangy River Rd)

Started by Hot Rod Hootenanny, September 23, 2012, 12:49:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

From Saturday's Delaware Gazette (and behind a paywall to boot)

ODOT eyes left-turn lanes at Ohio 315, 750
PAUL COMSTOCK Staff Writer

The Ohio Depart­ment of Trans­porta­tion has a plan which could lead to the instal­la­tion of left-turn lanes on all approaches to the Ohio 315 and Ohio 750 inter­sec­tion in 2014.

ODOT Dis­trict 6 engi­neer Thom Slack gave details to a Fri­day morn­ing gath­er­ing of the Greater Pow­ell Area Cham­ber of Com­merce at the Lib­erty Township-Powell YMCA.

The pro­posal is one part of a larger plan to pre­vent part of the inter­sec­tion from slid­ing into the Olen­tangy River.

Slack said the river slowly is eat­ing away the embank­ment north and south of the inter­sec­tion. ODOT has been devel­op­ing a project "the past cou­ple of years"  to stop the problem.

Addi­tion­ally, "there's always been a desire to at least improve the (750 and 315) inter­sec­tion,"  he said, "and we wanted to find a way to get as much turn lane as pos­si­ble in there as part of this project."

The plan is "in very much draft for­mat,"  Slack said, and sev­eral things will have to fall into place before all the turn lanes can be added.

The Ohio 315 pave­ment will have to be widened and ODOT will need to obtain land on the west side of the road.

The plan assumes the remain­der of the hill­side on 315's west side can be kept in place by a retain­ing wall yet to be built, Slack said. ODOT will need to con­firm that assump­tion is correct.

The plan "looks great on a flat piece of paper,"  he said, but it remains to be seen if it can be suc­cess­fully engi­neered on the actual terrain.

Even if all four turn lanes can be installed, "it's not enough to turn that (traf­fic) sig­nal back into nir­vana,"  Slack said.

ODOT's ten­ta­tive plan calls for a turn lane 300 feet long for north­bound traf­fic on 315, and 100 feet long for south­bound traf­fic. Those lengths are "a lit­tle bit of a com­pro­mise,"  he said.

About 18 months ago, ODOT did a study show­ing the turn lane for north­bound traf­fic would have to be 600 feet long "to make the inter­sec­tion func­tion ... prop­erly."  That much length would make the project cost-prohibitive, he said.

Such an expanded plan also would need a high rank­ing on ODOT's cap­i­tal improve­ment project list before it could be funded, he said. Some projects on the list wait years for funding.

The plan to stop ero­sion caused by the river will be cov­ered by main­te­nance funds and won't be on the cap­i­tal improve­ments list, Slack said. That could increase the like­li­hood funds will be avail­able, but it doesn't guar­an­tee it, he said.

He said if the turn-lane plan does suc­ceed, it is "not an effort to turn 315 into a three— or five-lane boule­vard"  along its length.

Things look more promis­ing for Ohio 750; Slack said ODOT "def­i­nitely"  can add turn lanes there. The bridge on the east side is wide enough for three marked lanes, and widen­ing 750 on the west side can be accom­plished with rel­a­tive ease.

The work on the river­bank will be exten­sive and prob­a­bly will force a detour of 315, Slack said. Pil­ings will be installed to hold up the river's embankment.

At least once before, in 2008, the Olen­tangy devoured some pave­ment. Part of Chap­man Road slid into the riverbed, cre­at­ing dam­age exceed­ing $144,000.

Also dur­ing the Fri­day ses­sion, ODOT engi­neer Fay Tay­lor joined Slack in describ­ing work planned on Ohio 750 west of Pow­ell. When the work is fin­ished, 750 will have mul­ti­ple lanes between Pow­ell and the highway's bypass around the Colum­bus Zoo and Aquarium.

Tay­lor and Slack also said they would look into some of the Cham­ber mem­bers' con­cerns about the tim­ing of traf­fic sig­nals on Ohio 750 (Pow­ell Road) inside the city.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

vtk

I thought the locals were too concerned with the road's scenic and/or rural character to allow any kind of widening.

What they really ought to do is build a 5-lane highway on the top of the hill.  I'm not even talking about trying to make an alternate to US 23 here; the area is growing and 315 should be 5 lanes just for the local traffic.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

ODOT link for the project - http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D06/projects/315Slope/Pages/default.aspx
(Evidently the public had their say on this back in 2008 while the local's energy went towards "saving" the Orange Road bridge)

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.