News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

You are too old if you remember.......

Started by roadman65, August 17, 2013, 07:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

When Gulf Stations existed in Florida and Chevron Stations existed in New Jersey.

I have said it before, but for the sake of the newbies here, when the Garden State Parkway had number only exit tabs, the arrow in the circle on the exit gore signs on the NJHA sections while the NJDOT pieces had the at exit guides in the gore similar to that at SB Exit 140.

When Black Friday began on Black Friday and not before it.

When Rest Areas were more plentiful on highways. 

When NYSDOT would have signs saying " There are no services on this route, find them at interchanges" along some freeways. 

When NJ Turnpike was control city on I-95 in Northeastern Maryland and when Philadelphia was listed on all the mileage signs post interchanges.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadrunner75

Quote from: roadman65 on November 29, 2014, 11:54:04 AM
When Gulf Stations existed in Florida and Chevron Stations existed in New Jersey.
I remember Chevron in New Jersey too....one right behind the Deptford Mall on NJ 41.
When Rest Areas were more plentiful on highways. 
There were more small rest areas without any services - maybe only a pay phone at most.  NJ 42 had a pair somewhere near where the new exits are for Camden County College, that sat abandoned for years.  Also many now gone on the Garden State Parkway, including the infamous one near Forked River where Robert Marshall had his wife murdered.  Hard to tell where that one was now, with the roadway widening.  There was another one NB just south of interchange 88 that I figured out by noticing a little bit of remaining pavement extending into and out of the woods (as I passed by every day) - now also gone with the current construction.

mefailenglish

When NJ Turnpike was control city on I-95 in Northeastern Maryland and when Philadelphia was listed on all the mileage signs post interchanges.
I remember when there was a NJTP trailblazer at the exit from MD 295 to I-895.

msubulldog

Quote from: misterjimmy on November 27, 2014, 03:12:41 AM
-When the red arrow on the Sunoco sign used to blink on and off. (on purpose :))

I remember those arrows on Sunoco and Pure signs. I always dreamed about the arrow on a Pure sign spinning round and round before blasting off into space, exploding, and then a 76 sign appears in the sky.
"But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it."
Matt 7:14, NLT

bing101

If you remember Cypress Freeway was CA-17, Eastshore Fwy was  US-40, I-480 Embarcadero Freeway, I-880 Beltline Freeway and when Black Friday took place at 6am Friday Morning after Thanksgiving not 5pm. 6pm or 11pm Thanksgiving day.

kkt

Quote from: bing101 on December 07, 2014, 03:07:27 PM
If you remember Cypress Freeway was CA-17, Eastshore Fwy was  US-40, I-480 Embarcadero Freeway, I-880 Beltline Freeway and when Black Friday took place at 6am Friday Morning after Thanksgiving not 5pm. 6pm or 11pm Thanksgiving day.

I remember all of those except when the Eastshore Freeway was US-40.  "Black Friday" was not a phrase, and while some people did a little shopping Saturday or Sunday, many people didn't start Christmas shopping until December.

route17fan

Ooh - when I was waaay younger growing up in Ohio I really wished I could have taken tons of pictures of:
Ohio
I-71 - two lanes - and concrete and tons of state named interstate shields
Rounded corners and z-bars on BGS
classic 18"x18" shields - and the oversized Ohio shields with small numbers inside
Stuckey's Restaurants
L & K restaurants - anyone from Ohio remember those??
SOHIO gas stations
Burger Chef - which was mentioned earlier in the thread was in my hometown of Mt. Vernon, Ohio - I miss that place!

Pennsylvania
I-90 - concrete
BORON gas stations
BGSes with button copy PA route shields - specifically for PA 832 and "P A xx" in all text
JUNCTION - instead of an exit number at I-79

New York
More concrete roads
watching NY 17 get constructed from Olean NY westward to Westfield
NO  U  TURN signs in the median instead of the graphic sign on expressways
L-beam sign posts (becoming increasingly rare)
AMOCO gas stations
AM&A's in western NY

A lot of those sign pictures I once had but had thrown away growing up because I didn't think others were doing what I have been doing literally since 1980 when I was 10 - if I only knew.
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

thenetwork

Quote from: route17fan on December 07, 2014, 06:53:49 PM
Ooh - when I was waaay younger growing up in Ohio I really wished I could have taken tons of pictures of:
Ohio
classic 18"x18" shields - and the oversized Ohio shields with small numbers inside
Stuckey's Restaurants
SOHIO gas stations
Burger Chef - which was mentioned earlier in the thread was in my hometown of Mt. Vernon, Ohio - I miss that place!

Pennsylvania
I-90 - concrete

I remember L & K & Stuckey's.   There was also Dutch Panties Pantrys and Red Barn restaurants. 

And unless PA is running out of ideas for construction zones on I-90, isn't most/all of it still concrete?

How about when NY-17 (I-86) between the PA line and Bemus Point was only a Super-2?

ARMOURERERIC

When 25 cents worth of "Good Gulf" would get you a Sunday drive

route17fan

Quote from: thenetwork on December 07, 2014, 08:34:04 PM
Quote from: route17fan on December 07, 2014, 06:53:49 PM
Ohio
Stuckey's Restaurants
SOHIO gas stations

Pennsylvania
I-90 - concrete

I remember L & K & Stuckey's.   There was also Dutch Panties Pantrys and Red Barn restaurants. 

And unless PA is running out of ideas for construction zones on I-90, isn't most/all of it still concrete?

How about when NY-17 (I-86) between the PA line and Bemus Point was only a Super-2?

I-90 in PA is mostly asphalt (save a few sections Erie and east)

I-86/NY 17 - I remember when NY 17 duplexed with NY 394 to Westfield and then duplexed with NY 430 and then the gradual expressway at what would be current exit 10. Aah the good old days!

bing101

When Yolo was only used in the Sacramento Valley to refer to a county that covered the Cities of Davis, West Sacramento, Woodland and Winters.

and when Yolo was named after a Tribe in the Sacramento area. Yolo was not mis used by a celeb to brag that they were the hot star of the moment.

roadman

I remember Stuckey's as well - on one of our trips to Virginia in 1969, my mother convinced my father to buy gas there by the "get a free box of candy with a minimum 10 gallon fill up" promotion they were advertising on a seeming endless stream of billboards between the Delaware Memorial Bridge and Williamsburg.

To this day, I still recall how the candy was truly awful and the family car (1964 Pontiac Catalina station wagon) didn't run quite the same until a couple of fill ups later once the Stuckey's Brand X gas was flushed out of the fuel system.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Takumi

I stopped at a Stuckey's in South Hill, VA last year coming back from Charlotte. The most noteworthy thing I saw there was a can of Ajax cleaning powder that looked like it was at least as old as me.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

formulanone

There's a Stuckey's just outside Fellsmere, Florida at CR512 and I-95. No lunch counter, just a large array of silly gifts, T-shirts, and the usual convenience store items. They had BP gasoline.

I want to say there's another one about an hour north on 95, but I haven't been in that one.

thenetwork

Last I was up I-90 near the Ashtabula, OH area, there was an abandoned Stuckey's still standing.  And the one on I-71 near the SR-61/Mt. Gilead, OH exit was (at the time) a gentleman's club called Stingray.  Somehow they repainted the old Stuckey's tall sign to say Stingray, but the letters between the "St" and the "y" looked terrible!

When I was last thru Kansas on I-70, there were several Stuckey's that looked like they might have been open until the early 2000's, because from the freeway, they did not look too dilapidated/abandoned.  When they were open, many the Kansas stores had a Dairy Queen.

What is cool about the Red Barn restaurants is that a lot of the original buildings still stand with the barn shape still intact.  In the midwest, I saw some of the old Red Barns converted into Chinese restaurants, video arcades and at least two of them were converted into drive-thru car-washes!

route17fan

The Stuckey's on I-71 at OH 61 is the one I saw too.  :)

DeaconG

Quote from: formulanone on December 08, 2014, 07:27:52 PM
There's a Stuckey's just outside Fellsmere, Florida at CR512 and I-95. No lunch counter, just a large array of silly gifts, T-shirts, and the usual convenience store items. They had BP gasoline.

I want to say there's another one about an hour north on 95, but I haven't been in that one.

There's one in Scottsmoor at the interchange of I-95 and CR 5A. Been in it a couple of times, has the same kind of layout you describe for the one in Fellesmere.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

route17fan

Oh! I just remembered this one - a store called Big N

I grew up in Mt. Vernon, Ohio in the 1970s and that store was on US 36 on the east end of town. The only reason I mention this is because my grandparents had a record (remember those?  :-D) from Big N records and thought they might have been at least a regional store but can not find anything online about it.

There was also a Conley's store which sold run-of-the-mill stuff kind of like a "Ben Franklin" - which one still operates in Utica, Ohio and also I've seen a few in PA.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: mefailenglish on November 30, 2014, 03:25:27 PM
I remember when there was a NJTP trailblazer at the exit from MD 295 to I-895.

There was also a NJTP trailblazer on westbound U.S. 50 approaching Md. 213.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

GCrites

The Stingray Stuckey's has been demo'ed. I went past there on my way to Mid-Ohio in August. I remember it also acted as a Corvette parts and repair center for a while. Kinda fitting I guess.

Cincinnati's Over-The-Rhine neighborhood had an abandoned Red Barn until a few years ago. If you are familiar with that area you can imagine that the building really stuck out.

mjb2002

When businesses used to (rightfully) close their doors all day on New Year's Day WITHOUT exceptions. We need to go back to that, before the young heads forget the meaning of January 1!

NE2

Quote from: mjb2002 on December 28, 2014, 02:05:05 AM
When businesses used to (rightfully) close their doors all day on New Year's Day WITHOUT exceptions. We need to go back to that, before the young heads forget the meaning of January 1!
As one of the kids these days, I ask you: what is the meaning of January 1? Nursing a hangover?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

cjk374

Quote from: NE2 on December 28, 2014, 02:26:21 AM
Quote from: mjb2002 on December 28, 2014, 02:05:05 AM
As one of the kids these days, I ask you: what is the meaning of January 1? Nursing a hangover?

That's one of the reasons I would give.  Also way to try to help families get together if they couldn't get together at Christmas. 
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: thenetwork on December 08, 2014, 09:59:44 PM
When I was last thru Kansas on I-70, there were several Stuckey's that looked like they might have been open until the early 2000's, because from the freeway, they did not look too dilapidated/abandoned.

Though they have a presence on the Web here.

There was a Stuckey's on U.S. 301 (GSV: southbound side, now used car dealer) in King George County, Va., as well as near I-95 Exit 126 (Va. 606) at Thornburg, south of Fredericksburg, which closed in 1996 (details here).  I think the Thornburg Stuckey's  was located here.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: NE2 on December 28, 2014, 02:26:21 AM

Cannot drink nearly that much these days, so hangovers are not relevant to me any longer.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.