News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New McDonald'ses too ugly to eat in

Started by GCrites, September 05, 2014, 04:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyg1985

The inside of the new McDonald's that has been built close to me (in Meridianville, AL) looks like something straight out of the 70's. I think it is hideous.

As of recently, this McDonald's in Muscle Shoals, AL still has a classic arch, but I'm not sure if it is original: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.746778,-87.6676565,3a,75y,62.25h,89.12t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sI1N3Ce77N-6kt_UAFlTugA!2e0
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Billy F 1988

Ah, McDicks! The place where you get your nuggets made from a disgusting chicken paste, the beef is zapped with poo, and the drinks are high in acid.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

GCrites

Quote from: codyg1985 on October 21, 2014, 10:04:17 PM
The inside of the new McDonald's that has been built close to me (in Meridianville, AL) looks like something straight out of the 70's. I think it is hideous.

As of recently, this McDonald's in Muscle Shoals, AL still has a classic arch, but I'm not sure if it is original: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.746778,-87.6676565,3a,75y,62.25h,89.12t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sI1N3Ce77N-6kt_UAFlTugA!2e0

That's a late '90s design. There's ones like that on the South Side and at Easton in Columbus OH.

Pete from Boston

Speaking of ugly, I'm eager to see how the nutrient recycling program has progressed:

http://youtu.be/ZP_nNemsNT8

jdb1234

Quote from: codyg1985 on October 21, 2014, 10:04:17 PM

There was one in Huntsville that until a few years ago had an old school McDonald's sign.

There is one in Mobile with that same style.

As for me it has been nearly a year since I have stepped foot in a McDonald's (the one in the Walmart that I work in doesn't count).

roadman

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on October 22, 2014, 10:25:09 AM
Ah, McDicks! The place where you get your nuggets made from a disgusting chicken paste, the beef is zapped with poo, and the drinks are high in acid.
Anybody else remember the 1960s parody of the original McDonald's jingle

McDonalds is your kind of place
They serve you rattlesnakes
They throw pies in your face
They steal your license plates

So if you like rattlesnakes
Or pies thrown in your face
Or stolen license plates
Then McDonalds is your kind of place
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Pete from Boston

When I think "McDonald's" and "1960s," this frightening image is the first thing that comes to mind:

jakeroot

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 24, 2014, 06:36:30 PM
When I think "McDonald's" and "1960s," this frightening image is the first thing that comes to mind:

It's like some weird sci-fi film from the 40s...genuinely frightening in retrospect, but maybe cool when it came out?

Pete from Boston

Quote from: jake on October 25, 2014, 03:11:01 AM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 24, 2014, 06:36:30 PM

It's like some weird sci-fi film from the 40s...genuinely frightening in retrospect, but maybe cool when it came out?

I look at Willard Scott as Ronald McDonald and think, "Run, kids. RUN!"

GCrites

I ate in an Eyebrow of Doom. Man was it ugly. They had a TV on showing the NASCAR race, but it had a ton of glare on that so it kinda ruined it. Will still try to avoid Eyebrows of Doom in the future, but there really are a lot of them getting built.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: GCrites80s on November 10, 2014, 02:30:01 PM
I ate in an Eyebrow of Doom. Man was it ugly. They had a TV on showing the NASCAR race, but it had a ton of glare on that so it kinda ruined it. Will still try to avoid Eyebrows of Doom in the future, but there really are a lot of them getting built.

The number of them built will soon equal the number of McDonald's restaurants. 

Some of the design choices are odd.  In one I saw a round table in a dark-wood alcove with a pendant light with a shade, like it was in some kind of cocktail lounge.  The same restaurant had a too-tall, all-galvanized pergola ringing a concrete patio for what had to be the coldest-feeling eating environment designed since the Berlin Wall fell.

GCrites

Oh and I hate high stools in fast food places. A lot of Eyebrows of Doom have a mix of high stools, regular booths and chairs. Stools like that belong in bars and I've noticed that you rarely see them in actual use by fast food patrons.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: GCrites80s on November 10, 2014, 03:14:47 PM
Oh and I hate high stools in fast food places. A lot of Eyebrows of Doom have a mix of high stools, regular booths and chairs. Stools like that belong in bars and I've noticed that you rarely see them in actual use by fast food patrons.

It's funny you say that, because in that same McDonald's I was in the other day, I took note of the fact that the high-tops were all filled while there were most of the other seats around the restaurant were open.

GCrites

Perhaps there is a regionality to the interest in high tops that McDonald's failed to notice.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: GCrites80s on November 10, 2014, 04:20:02 PM
Perhaps there is a regionality to the interest in high tops that McDonald's failed to notice.

Could be.  I remember some restaurants in the 1970s/1980s having specialized seating sections that always filled up first, like one with a sort of 70s-Victorian gazebo within one.

GCrites

Or people wanting to sit in the middle part that was elevated by a step or two. Presumably to watch the other partons. Nowadays restaurants don't have those.

jakeroot

Quote from: GCrites80s on November 10, 2014, 08:21:29 PM
Or people wanting to sit in the middle part that was elevated by a step or two. Presumably to watch the other partons. Nowadays restaurants don't have those.

Ignoring the fact that you probably mean "recently constructed", all of my local Arbys have raised dining areas.

GCrites

True; in this case I was talking sit-down since it seemed the discussion had shifted to that.

jakeroot

Quote from: GCrites80s on November 12, 2014, 01:41:44 PM
True; in this case I was talking sit-down since it seemed the discussion had shifted to that.

Indeed, it did. And you're right, new restaurants don't seem to have any particular special eating areas (raised areas and the like). The coolest thing I've seen recently is at some of the McDonalds, where some of the contemporary furniture kind of overhangs the chairs, so it feels like you're eating in a cocoon of sorts. Strange, I know, but it's cool to sit under.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.