News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I hate this song!

Started by allniter89, October 05, 2014, 03:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allniter89

Continuing with music threads; Is there a song that annoys you so much you refuse to listen to it, as soon as you recognize it you change stations
All By Myself---Eric Carmen
Dreamweaver--??
The 1st Time Ever I Saw Your Face----Roberta Flack
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Laura

Pretty much everything by John Cougar Mellencamp. I have to be in just the right mood to tolerate his music, and those moods are very, very rare.

roadman65

Manfred Mann's Blinded By The Light - So weary of that particular song as it has been played for over 35 years constantly.

Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody-  I hate the the choir type of operatic verses in the song, plus if you listen to the lyrics it is about giving up on life and not wanting to live. Not even a Rock Song although it may be classified as one.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Laura on October 05, 2014, 09:26:03 AM
Pretty much everything by John Cougar Mellencamp. I have to be in just the right mood to tolerate his music, and those moods are very, very rare.

I think you're mistaken.  These works of art take an ordinary, simple sentence, and–through the use of years of songwriting expertise, ingenuity, and craftsmanship–repeat it three times, turning it into a rallying cry that plucks every heartstring:

Your life is now,
Your life is now,
Your life is now.

It's just another day,
It's just another day,
It's just another day.

This is our country,
This is our country,
This is our country.

Really gets you right here [pointing vaguely around the sternum].  If that's not musical genius, they may as well abolish the term.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadman65 on October 05, 2014, 10:02:37 AM
Manfred Mann's Blinded By The Light - So weary of that particular song as it has been played for over 35 years constantly.

You just specifically described the radio format that since the late 80s is called "Classic Rock," and more generally described all of commercial music radio.

People want to hear what they're familiar with.  Too much that's new to them is... too challenging. 

formulanone

Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody-  I hate the the choir type of operatic verses in the song, plus if you listen to the lyrics it is about giving up on life and not wanting to live. Not even a Rock Song although it may be classified as one.

Fully agreed on the first one, fully disagreed on the second one. I picked up an appreciation for the latter because it was exactly the length of my commute from home to work about a decade ago - driveway to parking spot - give or take a few seconds. Usually I was pulling up the parking brake lever just as the final "nothing really matters..." was crooning out from Freddie Mercury.

"Blinded by the Light" is a mish-mash which seems to say nothing and is musically childish. Rock must have hit a new low in 1981.

Music is subjective, that much is certain. Sometimes, it's a bit objective.

roadman65

I hate also when some stations play Jackson Browne's song Stay without The Load Out as both songs together make one long song.

In fact when played as one song it makes the David Lindley Falsetto even more better as you have to wait through the entire The Load Out for it giving it that suspenseful feeling.  When they go right into Stay it ruins it by taking away the suspense.

Also I hate listening to some Top 40 Stations that play the single versions as many of them also leave out key parts to the song like Supertrampts Goodbye Stranger which leaves out the whistling parts and the verse intros.  To me if you cut that out, it defeats the purpose of the song, so why bother.

Another song I turn off is Club Novae's version of Bill Withers Lean On Me as the song sounds so butchered with their rapping in the song it sounds nothing like it is supposed to.

Sheryl Crowe

on_wisconsin

This dreck:

Oh and this too:

"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Pete from Boston

Quote from: formulanone on October 05, 2014, 10:38:08 AM"Blinded by the Light" is a mish-mash which seems to say nothing and is musically childish. Rock must have hit a new low in 1981.

Lyrically, it's pretty typical of Springsteen in that era in its all-over wander.   

And 1981?  Try 1973 (Springsteen) or 1976 (Manfred Mann's Earth Band).

I find neither to stick out much among the 200 or so songs commercial "classic rock" stations decided were America's favorites.  The whole concept is pretty much designed to make you sick of songs you might otherwise enjoy, which I just don't get.  "Stranglehold" is a great song, but why on earth would a station with decades to pick from play it twice in three days?  Lazy corporate fucks. 

cjk374

Anything by Taylor Swift because Taylor Swift.  Her newest song meant to officially change her genre from country to Top 40 is most unpleasant to my eardrums.

Most of anything my 16 yr old listens to (Top 40, dubstep  X-( ) is horrible.

Classic rock is my preferred choice of music, but there are some songs that if they were never played again, I wouldn't miss them at all:

Most definitely!

Quote from: Laura on October 05, 2014, 09:26:03 AM

He is one of my favorites.

"C'mon Baby Light My Fire" by The Doors, & any other song that uses the kyboard synthesizer extensively automatically makes me change the station fast!   :ded:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Billy F 1988

Urgh! Do not get me started on all things Taylor Swift, Selena Gomez, or the hag we know as Justin Bieber! Anything related to new age country makes me puke. I'm more for songs like "Goin Down On It (NFS version)" from Hot Action Cop, "Sweet Emotion" by Aerosmith, so on. I can list a few more, but those are the kind of things I tend to gravitate to. It's just flat annoying with Swift, Gomez, Biebs, sucking up a lot of the airwaves these days.

Boy, you thought Brittney and Christina were bad, you don't have to turn your dial far to see how far down every genre has gone these days. Country just isn't what it used to be. The artists in that genre have really overdone it. I'm not a big party guy and listening to club style songs on the radio doesn't suit me. I mean, really the only good genres I know are left standing are jazz, classics, 70's-90's country, classic to 90's grunge rock and oldies. All this new crap just makes me gag.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

cjk374

The radio stations over-play songs daily...sometimes 6 or more times per day!  Even worse when played every hour!
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

on_wisconsin

How about this crap? It's like a bad hip-hop/ country song in one:

The fact that Billboard has this shit at number 1 on the "Hot List" for country music, says a lot about that audience. IMHO
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

1995hoo

Anything by the Doors. I simply find them to be utterly monotonous.

Back in the mid-1990s I got very tired of all radio stations that call themselves "Mix" yet played only three or four songs ("Only Wanna Be with You" by Hootie and the Blowfish, "Every Day Is a Winding Road" by Sheryl Crow, and one or two songs by Dave Matthews) while pitching themselves as a mix of "the '70s, '80s, and '90s" while never playing anything that predated, say, the release of Thriller. I remember I complained to MIX-101.5 in Raleigh that they never played anything from the 1970s. A week later, their slogan changed to "the best mix of the '80s, '90s, and today." Since it was the mid-1990s, I was (and remain) unclear about the difference between "the '90s" and "today"!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

Radio stations lie all the time!  In Orlando we had a station called Q 96 and for a very short time period they had a normal music playing DJ in the morning named Finger.  He was NOT a shock jock at all and the station called themselves Most Music in the Mornings and made fun of their rival at the time WDIZ for having Baxter and Mark not playing music at all but being the jocks they were.

A few weeks later, Finger was gone, and they soon enough syndicated John Boy and Billy Big who indeed are jocks in his morning time slot.  Talk about false advertising!

Then their sister station in Tampa was always criticsizing Thunder 103 Five for playing wimpy rock music such as The Who, but they themselves were playing Billy Squire who is even more wimpier than The Who.

I called to complainstation to that  and the program directer admitted that he lied.  He said "Oh you caught me."

Sheryl Crowe

ET21

Let It Go from Frozen...

Yes I get it, it was a great animated movie. Stop playing the song on every radio station 5 times an hour  :banghead:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

1995hoo

Quote from: roadman65 on October 05, 2014, 02:05:03 PM
.... John Boy and Billy Big ....

:rofl: :rofl:

This is why Raiford always calls it the "John Boy and Billy Show": "Big" is not Billy's last name. The show is "The Big Show." If you thought of it in mathematical terms, it'd be the (John Boy and Billy) (Big Show)–or, if they'd phrased it differently, "The Big Show Starring John Boy and Billy." (John Isley and Billy James.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vdeane

Pretty much anything catchy enough that I won't be able to get it out of my head that I'm not enthralled with.

Quote from: ET21 on October 05, 2014, 02:50:46 PM
Let It Go from Frozen...

Yes I get it, it was a great animated movie. Stop playing the song on every radio station 5 times an hour  :banghead:
But that song is awesome!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Billy F 1988

Quote from: vdeane on October 05, 2014, 03:22:08 PM
Pretty much anything catchy enough that I won't be able to get it out of my head that I'm not enthralled with.

Quote from: ET21 on October 05, 2014, 02:50:46 PM
Let It Go from Frozen...

But that song is awesome!

Listening to it one or two times is okay for me, but on a repeated basis on any given day, regardless of how awesome it is just spells pure annoyance. That's like playing "A Whole New World" ten times an hour. Urgh!

@ET21 - if the song annoys you that much on the radio, you'd be more annoyed downloading it to your iTunes playlist and having that on repeat every single day. That's why you mix up your playlist so that you don't run in to the same thing over and over on a daily basis because by the second or third time "Let It Go" plays, you'd be wanting to flip to another station.

Oh, I was also going to mention "I'm A Barbie Girl" from Aqua! God Dang that was the most annoying song ever to hit the airwaves! So, sorry "Let It Go", but you pale in comparison to Aqua's "Barbie Girl" song. Ooooooh! How I just long to hit the "NOPE" button and send it clear off into infinitive oblivion!
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

triplemultiplex

The song in the commercial for the NFL's streaming app with JJ Watt and the lady chaperoning the middle school dance is starting to get annoying.  That commercial is on everywhere all the time.
Too bad, because Jock Jams Volume 1 was an epic compilation.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kurumi

Any song whose chords never venture outside of I, ii, IV, V, vi.

Especially the dreaded four chords (Axis of Awesome, SLYT)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

freebrickproductions

Black Water by The Doobie Brothers. Absolutely hate it.
I also hate rap and country songs.
There are a few others that I dislike, but I can't remember what they are.

I actually like both of those songs.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

hbelkins

"The Crunge" by Led Zeppelin.

Where's the confounded bridge?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Do commercials that have singing in them count as songs? Some of those would qualify.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.