News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

How come we do not use our 2 dollar bills or our one dollar coin?

Started by roadman65, November 16, 2014, 03:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Quote from: kkt on December 19, 2014, 01:09:59 AM
Quote from: oscar on December 18, 2014, 01:47:52 PM
Quote from: vdeane on December 18, 2014, 01:01:02 PM
Quote from: formulanone on December 18, 2014, 12:14:31 PM
Quote from: 1 on December 18, 2014, 05:05:54 AM
Eisenhower is already on the 1971-1978 $1 coin.

Which means that his likeness hasn't been used for coinage in over 35 years, on a coin that's almost defunct.
He's scheduled to appear on the presidential dollar coin series (along with every other president through Ford; federal law prohibits currently living presidents from appearing on money), though those aren't put into general circulation any more.

Which means they are practically "defunct" the moment they're issued.

I look forward to the Tricky Dick dollar coins coming out in 2016.  I'll get a few, to razz the Nixon fans I know, and give to other friends with whom I had a lot of fun hating him (in a very pro-Nixon community) in the early 1970s.

It's just wrong to put the faces of every president on coins, no matter how bad a job they did.  Makes me wish they'd go back to Walking Liberties.

The obverse of the Silver Eagle is modeled on the walking Liberty half:

kkt

Quote from: bugo on December 19, 2014, 07:16:22 AM
Quote from: kkt on December 19, 2014, 01:09:59 AM
It's just wrong to put the faces of every president on coins, no matter how bad a job they did.  Makes me wish they'd go back to Walking Liberties.
The obverse of the Silver Eagle is modeled on the walking Liberty half:

Yes, they're very nice looking coins.  It's too bad they're not using that design for circulating coins.

Scott5114

I wish they'd just stick with the original Sacagawea design. It was a pretty attractive coin. But they're cycling through all of the presidents because that's how the Mint makes money. (No, for real, it's called seigniorage; they actually profit when people take coins out of circulation somehow). They're even making coins with Sacagawea on the front and cycling through different designs on the back for the same reason.

I'm not too miffed about all of the presidents appearing on the coins because most of them have been on some form of commemorative coin at some point anyway.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 18, 2014, 09:53:41 PM

Which means that his likeness hasn't been used for coinage in over 35 years, on a coin that's almost defunct.
He's scheduled to appear on the presidential dollar coin series (along with every other president through Ford; federal law prohibits currently living presidents from appearing on money), though those aren't put into general circulation any more.

They are actually put into general circulation, they just don't generally circulate. I get people bringing them to me to change into paper dollars at least once a week.
When Mom worked as a cashier at the school cafeteria, presidential dollars used to appear with some regularity.  At some point the new ones stopped appearing, with only older ones showing up, and became less common over time.  The banks around here don't have them any more.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 19, 2014, 01:55:44 PM
I wish they'd just stick with the original Sacagawea design. It was a pretty attractive coin. But they're cycling through all of the presidents because that's how the Mint makes money. (No, for real, it's called seigniorage; they actually profit when people take coins out of circulation somehow). They're even making coins with Sacagawea on the front and cycling through different designs on the back for the same reason.

I'm not too miffed about all of the presidents appearing on the coins because most of them have been on some form of commemorative coin at some point anyway.

The Sacagawea dollar's problem is that the golden color gets tarnished too easily and ends up being really ugly. I do have a Sacagawea proof that is quite lovely, however. I wish they would have kept the Susan B. Anthony dollar which, despite Ms. Anthony's scowl, is an attractive coin.

akotchi

Quote from: vdeane on December 19, 2014, 06:31:58 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 18, 2014, 09:53:41 PM

They are actually put into general circulation, they just don't generally circulate. I get people bringing them to me to change into paper dollars at least once a week.
When Mom worked as a cashier at the school cafeteria, presidential dollars used to appear with some regularity.  At some point the new ones stopped appearing, with only older ones showing up, and became less common over time.  The banks around here don't have them any more.

The later presidental dollars were never released for circulation, not even in rolls to banks -- just in collector packages.  Same with later Sacagaweas, I think.  Too many of them sitting in the vaults, as was the issue with the SBAs.

My only complaint about the later Sacagaweas is the removal of date and mintmark from the obverse.  The original design specifically was made with space for it, and the "hole" is quite noticeable in the later ones.  I know it was for using the same edge lettering as for the presidential dollars, but it does not change my opinion.

To the point of the Mint making money while making money, it is not just by seignorage any more.  (As a note, they are losing money on the cents and nickels.)  I have no issue with proof and mint sets, but formerly regular issue coins that are now just made, as business strikes, for collectors are being sold by the Mint with surcharges and markups.  Seems like a stretch to their orignal role in the government . . .
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

oscar

Same thing with the Postal Service marketing commemorative stamps that it hopes end up with collectors and are never used for postage. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

bugo

They've been making business strikes for collectors for years. For example: in 1975-76, they made 40% silver bicentennial business strike S-mintmarked quarters, the only 40% silver quarters the mint has ever struck. I actually found one at my old job that had gotten into circulation somehow.

02 Park Ave

C-o-H

hotdogPi

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on January 20, 2015, 03:00:51 PM
Is the current shortage of nickels due to hoarding?

I have not noticed a shortage of nickels.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

oscar

The melt value of nickels (except the hard-to-find 9% silver wartime nickels) is still a good deal less than face value, so I would be surprised if much hoarding is going on.  I also haven't noticed a nickel shortage in my area.  I've only rarely been given five pennies in change rather than a nickel, by a cashier who was short on nickels.  More common is a cashier foisting a big pile of one-dollar bills on me, instead of a larger bill.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

hotdogPi

Quote from: oscar on January 20, 2015, 03:23:59 PM

The melt value of nickels (except the hard-to-find 9% silver wartime nickels) is still a good deal less than face value, so I would be surprised if much hoarding is going on.  I also haven't noticed a nickel shortage in my area.  I've only rarely been given five pennies in change rather than a nickel, by a cashier who was short on nickels.  More common is a cashier foisting a big pile of one-dollar bills on me, instead of a larger bill.

Copper prices have gone down recently. Before they went down, the melt value of nickels might have been higher than face value.
(And 9% should be 35%.)
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

bugo

There is a small convenience store near where I live. I got to know the guy who runs it, and he agreed to stick back any "large coins" (half dollars and larger) for me. One day I got an Ike, and another day a 40% silver half dollar. Last month I went in there and he wasn't working, but this lady who didn't seem to speak great English was there. I asked her if she had any "big coins" and she said "yes". I didn't think she understood me but she pulled out a big dollar coin. At first I thought it was an Eisenhower dollar but imagine my surprise when she handed me an 1884-0 Morgan silver dollar in AU condition! I paid face value for it. I've already been offered $50 for it but I declined. Finding a coin like this in circulation is priceless.

roadman

Quote from: bugo on December 19, 2014, 09:32:47 PM

The Sacagawea dollar's problem is that the golden color gets tarnished too easily and ends up being really ugly. I do have a Sacagawea proof that is quite lovely, however. I wish they would have kept the Susan B. Anthony dollar which, despite Ms. Anthony's scowl, is an attractive coin.
Biggest problem I've found with both the Sacagawea and the Susan B. is that, because of their size and weight, you can't easily tell the difference between them and a quarter when you reach into your pocket - the gold finish on the Sacagawea was supposed to correct that issue, except it failed in one respect - you can't figure out what the coin is until after you have it out of your pocket.

I find the issue of "poor feel" is becoming a problem with the newer dimes and pennies as well.  It's really too bad that our Government has decided to nickel and dime us (sorry for the pun there) when it comes to the quality of our coinage.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

hotdogPi

Quote from: roadman on January 20, 2015, 05:02:02 PM

Biggest problem I've found with both the Sacagawea and the Susan B. is that, because of their size and weight, you can't easily tell the difference between them and a quarter when you reach into your pocket - the gold finish on the Sacagawea was supposed to correct that issue, except it failed in one respect - you can't figure out what the coin is until after you have it out of your pocket.

I find the issue of "poor feel" is becoming a problem with the newer dimes and pennies as well.  It's really too bad that our Government has decided to nickel and dime us (sorry for the pun there) when it comes to the quality of our coinage.

The edge of a quarter is different from the edge of a dollar coin.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50

kkt

Quote from: bugo on January 20, 2015, 04:48:41 PM
At first I thought it was an Eisenhower dollar but imagine my surprise when she handed me an 1884-0 Morgan silver dollar in AU condition! I paid face value for it.

Wow, that's quite a find!  Beautiful coin.  I guess now that convenience store has your business for life!

Pete from Boston

The legendary "Smiling Anthony" issue was scrapped when the ERA failed.

02 Park Ave

Questioning several merchants about being given odd combinations of quarters and dimes as change, I was informed by them that there is a shortage of nickels.
C-o-H

Scott5114

We haven't had any problems with nickels at work. I usually end the shift with more nickels than I started with.

If there is a nickel shortage, my guess would be that it has less to do with melting and more to do with increased numbers of vending, self-checkout, etc machines that economize on space and parts by not having a hopper for dimes and simply dispense more nickels to fill the gap.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Alps

Billy F 1988

I'm certainly not aware of shortages where I am at. I mean, you ask how come we're not able to use the $2 bill or $1 coin. My guess is mainly because of the lack of feasibility. The Treasury Dept. doesn't believe that the $1 coin or the $2 bill is a necessity. Well, why do you suppose we're not using the Kennedy half-dollar coins? I mean, shoot. You got the Lincoln penny and $5 bill, the Washington quarter and $1 bill, the Jackson $20 bill, and so on. Why can't we have the Kennedy half-dollar coin, the $2 bill (I have no clue whose face is on that thing) or the $1 coin? Is it too spendy to forge them? 
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

02 Park Ave

Thomas Jefferson is on the $2 bill as on the nickel.  Any connexion?
C-o-H

Brandon

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on January 22, 2015, 12:01:28 PM
Thomas Jefferson is on the $2 bill as on the nickel.  Any connexion?

Only as much as Lincoln on the penny and $5 bill, or Washington on the quarter and $1 bill.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

PHLBOS

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 20, 2015, 06:01:25 PM
Quote from: bugo on December 19, 2014, 09:32:47 PMThe Sacagawea dollar's problem is that the golden color gets tarnished too easily and ends up being really ugly. I do have a Sacagawea proof that is quite lovely, however. I wish they would have kept the Susan B. Anthony dollar which, despite Ms. Anthony's scowl, is an attractive coin.
The legendary "Smiling Anthony" issue was scrapped when the ERA failed.
It was also referred to as the Carter Quarter.

Quote from: 1 on January 20, 2015, 03:20:50 PM
I have not noticed a shortage of nickels.
Quote from: Alps on January 22, 2015, 12:22:41 AMNo shortage of nickels in this area

Quote"How'd you like a nose full of nickels?"
:sombrero:
Guess who said the above-quote to whom and on what show?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Pete from Boston

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on January 20, 2015, 06:07:45 PM
Questioning several merchants about being given odd combinations of quarters and dimes as change, I was informed by them that there is a shortage of nickels.

Can I assume the value's 7¢ for a nickel given the scarcity?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.