News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Windshield wiper question

Started by roadman, November 28, 2014, 06:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

Quote from: mhh on November 30, 2014, 11:36:18 AM
I always make sure that my wipers are "parked" in their proper position at the bottom of the windshield before I turn the ignition off. I've been told by several mechanics that parking them in mid-cycle is bad for the wiper motor.
Wipers remaining on the windshield but not "parked" in the proper position = lazy drivers.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

leroys73

Scott5114,
Since you mentioned the ice storm while at work, man that is the shits.  I can't count how many times that has happened to me while in SW Oklahoma. It would not even be mentioned as possible on the weather report in the morning before leaving for work.  I have walked out to my car and the ice was so thick I had to let the car run for a long time so I could scrape it.  Then I'd ask myself, can I even make it home.  I did but very carefully and extremely slow.
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

mtantillo

I park in a garage most of the time, so I don't often have the need to worry about the blades freezing. But I have found that with the defroster on for a couple of minutes, usually flicking the wiper switch will let the motor "unstick" the blades pretty fast. Then use the blades to scrape that last bit of ice off and you're good to go.

The main problem I have is when big chunks of ice get stuck to the blades. That can take a while to rectify.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: mtantillo on December 02, 2014, 06:13:11 PM
I park in a garage most of the time, so I don't often have the need to worry about the blades freezing. But I have found that with the defroster on for a couple of minutes, usually flicking the wiper switch will let the motor "unstick" the blades pretty fast. Then use the blades to scrape that last bit of ice off and you're good to go.

The main problem I have is when big chunks of ice get stuck to the blades. That can take a while to rectify.

This is what ruins my wipers–assuming they're unstuck and having them either pull begrudgingly out of ice or drag across what seemed like loosened ice still clumped on the glass.

This is a useful thread.  Usually it takes an icy storm and a fouled blade to remind me to use more care.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.