News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I'm not looking forward to this AT ALL!

Started by hm insulators, December 03, 2014, 03:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hm insulators

Six years ago, I had a hernia repaired, which was definitely not fun. It was a right inguinal hernia, which basically meant that the lower abdominal wall developed a hole that then allowed a piece of my intestine to explore parts of my body that can't be mentioned here. The surgery itself went well, but I had complications that put me in the ER twice in about a two-day period.

Last Wednesday, I went to an urgent-care clinic and my suspicions were confirmed: Not only is the original repair failing, but this time, I now have a hernia on the left side as well, in other words, a double hernia! So now it looks like shortly after the new year, I'm going to have to have the damn thing repaired again! And I just started a new seasonal job with amazon.com packing boxes for Christmas.

Middle age sucks!...
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

adventurernumber1

Prayers out to you. That can't possibly be something easy you're going through.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

US81

Wishing you an easy surgery and a fast, uneventful recovery.

hm insulators

Thank you for your best wishes. A week or so ago, I saw another doctor who gave me a referral to a surgeon. I'll be consulting with the surgeon December 29 and we'll set up the day for my surgery. I just hope this hernia cooperates; yesterday I had a rough day with it, but today I feel somewhat better.

I just have to remember to use a truss when I'm on my feet for long periods.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

hm insulators

Okay, I did see the surgeon on the 29th, but as it turned out, we weren't able to set a date for the operation as he wanted to first get the records from the other hospital where I had the 2008 surgery performed. The office was then going to call me yesterday (the 30th) after the doctor had studied my procedure and subsequent complications to set up an operation on an outpatient business. "Wait," I said to the receptionist and told her the story of my last surgery.

To make a long story short, I now have a second consultation with the surgeon on January 7, which is good as I've got a laundry list of easily a dozen questions and concerns about what will be happening, especially because I dread surgery more than the average person, especially because if the scarring from the previous (laprascopic) surgery interferes with this operation also being laprascopic, the surgeon will have to make new regular incisions almost on top of my "nether regions."  :no: Sigh.

hm insulators

Update: I did see the surgeon on the 7th and had my myriad of questions and concerns answered, and after the usual insurance-company politics, I ultimately was able to get a date for my surgery: January 15 at 7:30; me and my friend Arnold will have to be at the hospital 6AM. Short notice, but better sooner rather than later; these hernias grow inexorably larger and larger and they are bound and determined By Golly to meet in the middle to make a single giant one. (Today, they're giving me issues, particularly the right one; I have the truss on now and even it's not helping as much as it could: If I stand for any length of time, the things press up against the truss and are somewhat painful; not enough to warrant medicine but getting there.)

Unfortunately, after studying my previous surgery, the doctor determined that he won't be able to perform the operation laparoscopically, so the incisions will have to be made "down there." As I explained earlier, I dread having surgery more than most people (grace under pressure was never my strong point), and the fact that the doctor will be essentially operating on my "privates" (OK, one inch above them for you medical nitpickers) definitely makes me even more anxious. I realize the doctor "has to do what he has to do," but it does not make me feel any better about it.

hm insulators

Okay, here's how it all played out yesterday: Arnold and I took a taxi to the hospital and we were there a little after 5:30AM. Went to the pre-operation area where I changed into one of those ever-so-stylish hospital gowns, as well as booties and the cap. I was wheeled to the operating room and the surgery went a lot quicker than I expected: a little over an hour for a double-hernia repair. (The 2008 operation took over two hours for a single-hernia repair). I was actually in the recovery room before 10AM. Now the big question would be will I be able to urinate on my own afterward? If "yes," then I go home. If "no," then I'm admitted for an overnight stay.

In 2008, my bladder went "on strike" after the operation and I had to have a catheter put in until it finally started working again about a day and a half later. This year, something finally went right for once and I was able to urinate on my own shortly after waking up. But man, once it was determined that I could pee on my own, those nurses couldn't get me and Arnold out of the recovery room fast enough! They're going, "c'monc'monc'monyougottagogottagogottagonowtherearepeoplewhoneedtherecoveryroomgetdressedyougottagonow" and I'm like "ulllllllhhhh" because I've just come out of anesthesia and want to just lie back on the bed and rest for a while and the nurses are like "noyougottagogottagogottagetgoinggogogo". When I told this to my mother she said, "I'm surprised they didn't have you mop the floor on the way out!" :-D

So the operation went well, but of course, the body reacts to such intrusions by swelling, bruising and discoloring. Because of where they had to operate, my entire "private area" below the navel is all bruised and swollen, which of course does not make me happy. (They did give me lots of pain meds and an ice bag to take home.) But Arnold, who is a nurse, has been a big help these last couple of days (he stayed in my apartment overnight) and very supportive. This would've been more of an ordeal without him and I want to publicly thank him.

Now comes the six-week recovery period where it's very limited activity. At least I'll be able to drive as soon as I no longer need the narcotic pain medicine.

US81

Hope the swelling and bruising subsides quickly. Congrats on getting the surgery and getting home.

hm insulators

Progress report: Physically I'm probably doing about normal, but psychologically is another issue. Because of where they had to cut, I've got major swelling and bruising of parts of my anatomy that can't be mentioned here (much of the time I have an ice bag in my lap), and it is very upsetting and distressing, even frightening. The doctor warned me that this would happen and than it's "normal," but it doesn't make it any less worrying. I wish these damn doctors, as wonderful as these surgical techniques are, would be more cognizant of the fact that what's "normal" for them is not normal for the patient! I'm not on the operating table getting a hernia repaired every damn day of the week!

My neighbor Arnold has been such a great help (him being a nurse is certainly a bonus), especially my first night home when he slept in my apartment. He has provided me with a lot of emotional support through this ordeal. (The man keeps me well-fed, too; yesterday morning he fixed pancakes, and Friday for lunch he made tilapia with tomatoes, onion, garlic, rosemary and salt and pepper which was delicious!) Many thanks to Arnold. :clap:

adventurernumber1

Everything sounds to be going pretty well so far. Prayers are still out to you, and I hope you continue to recover alright.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

hm insulators

Thank you.

Starting to feel and look a little bit better "down there."

Stratuscaster

Everyone should have an "Arnold."

Glad to hear everything went well as it could.

hm insulators

One week post-surgery report: Ever so slowly, things are trying to get back to normal, although there is still some swelling in the lower abdomen and I still have to use the ice bag (it's on my lap right now as I type this), and of course complete recovery will take a full six weeks. (I see the surgeon for a follow-up appointment on the 28th.) I'd been doing light exercise by walking around the second story of the apartment complex, and yesterday, I ventured downstairs three times, twice for walks around the block, once to just sit and enjoy the sunshine and warm weather.

hm insulators

Some recent developments: With the Vicodin out of my system, I'd been able to get in short drives to the grocery store, laundromat and the like. Doctor also wants me to get up and do some walking every day, and I've been doing that, especially with the fantastic weather in Phoenix. Little by little, things are slowly feeling better.

It's funny; when I had the actual hernias, it was the right-side one that was more painful than the left, but since surgery, it's the left side that's been more painful. Mornings are definitely best in terms of how I feel (I do spend time each day just lying on my back with the ice bag), but evenings are the worst. Especially after dinner, good-old gravity shifts everything down and the pressure, swelling and pain go up quite a bit; before I can even wash the dishes afterward, I have to lie on my back for a while. The left side also likes to "ouch!" when I bend my left leg in certain ways. Makes putting on and taking off pants quite interesting! :banghead:

hm insulators

Okay, saw the surgeon for my two-week post-surgery appointment. He removed the bandages, checked the surgical area and seemed to be quite pleased with my progress so far, including the swelling being a bit less than what some people still have. I had some questions answered, plus some comments about the post-op aftereffects. One of my complaints is numbness in that region of my body (rhymes with "coin") and he said that during surgery some small nerves were probably cut and they should come back, but it will take many months. I still have to take things easy for the next month. On the whole, a good report from the doctor, but I'm not all that happy anyway. I guess I just want things to be like they were before all this came crashing down, and frustrated with the glacial (to me) pace of recovery.

hm insulators

Three weeks plus one day after surgery: Perhaps because I might've overdid it a bit Super Bowl Sunday (grocery shopping in the morning; using the apartment complex barbecue grill downstairs during halftime--I live on the 2nd floor and of course there's no elevator), earlier this week I kind of hit a plateau. The after-dinner pressure and pain which had been decreasing actually increased a bit, especially Wednesday night. I tried to get a little stargazing in (astronomy is one of my other interests) with binoculars right outside the door, but I was able to check only a few bright stars (not much else to see from central Phoenix with all the lights) before the pain drove me to bed. (It was especially bad on the left side; that side seems to be a bit slower-healing anyway.) Last night was much better, though, so maybe recovery is getting back on track.

OCGuy81

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.