If Alex Trebek retires from Jeopardy! in 2016...

Started by Pink Jazz, December 04, 2014, 12:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

I had the Family Feud board game when I was a kid. I think it lasted a week until I started losing parts of it.

Big John

Trebek recently threatened to quit after a mother's reaction on kids' week if she got her way to re-tape the show.

http://pagesix.com/2014/12/16/alex-trebek-threatened-to-quit-jeopardy-sony-emails/

US71

Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 08, 2014, 04:28:38 PM
In fact, thinking back, Richard Dawson pretty much gave himself license to plant his lips on anything with a pair of ovaries (you thought I was going to say ears).  Quite a lot of it was just part of his charm schtick, but some of those could've bordered on lawsuit material in this day and age.

Until he got re-married. Then Mrs Dawson told him to quit doing that.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

broadhurst04

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 11, 2014, 06:51:36 PM
Watching that video reminded me of how much more fun Family Feud was with the 70s props and sound effects. You can tell that the chime going off after the #1 answer is revealed (they don't even play a sound effect for that anymore) is a real bell because you can still hear it reverberating when the team is deciding pass/play. The giant trilon swinging around and the flip-dot displays were really cool too. Now you're just watching a bunch of people watching a television.

Same goes for the displays on the old showcase podiums on The Price is Right. I liked how the total dollar amount of the contestant's winnings would flash on and off as the contestant left the podium to view the prizes they just won. Now it's just a graphic on screen and a bunch of people rushing the stage.

wphiii

Getting rid of Jeopardy! altogether when Trebek calls it quits would be disastrous IMO. There's so little on prime time TV, let alone on over-the-air channels, with the kind of educational value that Jeopardy! has.

For what it's worth, I really would like them to find more of a no-name to replace Trebek. I think it'd be a detriment to bring in a recognizable face, who'd be known first and foremost as the "some other show guy" and not as the Jeopardy! host.

MikeSantNY78

Quote from: Pink Jazz on December 06, 2014, 04:09:51 PM
Note that I have heard that Sony Pictures Television does not allow former contestants to host its game shows.  If true, then Ken Jennings isn't an option.
And neither would Brad Rutter. 
I'm looking at either Anderson Cooper, Pat Kiernan (could never get him to leave NYC, though), or - how's this for left field - Mike "Dirty Jobs" Rowe.  He has the subdued deadpan down to a science...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.