News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Cabrini Green

Started by bugo, December 13, 2014, 08:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Did anybody actually go inside Cabrini Green, the housing projects in Chicago? I've seen pictures of it and it looks like somewhere I wouldn't want to go. What are your experiences with this living hell?

J N Winkler

Jane Byrne, then Chicago mayor, and her husband tried living in Cabrini-Green for three weeks in 1981.  It was rough going.  (BTW, she died last month, aged 81, of complications from a stroke.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Zeffy

Quote from: bugo on December 13, 2014, 08:04:21 PM
Did anybody actually go inside Cabrini Green, the housing projects in Chicago? I've seen pictures of it and it looks like somewhere I wouldn't want to go. What are your experiences with this living hell?

Does anyone want to live in housing projects? I'd hope not. Housing projects did one thing - concentrate poverty.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

NE2

Quote from: Zeffy on December 13, 2014, 08:18:24 PM
Housing projects did one thing - concentrate poverty.
Because it's better for poor people to live on the sidewalks. Idiot.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

golden eagle

I had some family members live there. I don't remember not being safe, but I also didn't wander around by myself.

Brandon

Quote from: golden eagle on December 13, 2014, 09:37:19 PM
I had some family members live there. I don't remember not being safe, but I also didn't wander around by myself.

In later years, it was well known for the snipers that would shoot from behind the chain link fencing up on the upper floors.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

spooky

Only by watching "Good Times".

realjd

Quote from: Brandon on December 13, 2014, 11:54:14 PM

In later years, it was well known for the snipers that would shoot from behind the chain link fencing up on the upper floors.

[citation needed]. That sounds like a myth.

Brandon

Quote from: realjd on December 15, 2014, 02:19:43 PM
Quote from: Brandon on December 13, 2014, 11:54:14 PM

[citation needed]. That sounds like a myth.

Hardly a myth.  It's how people got killed there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabrini%E2%80%93Green

http://www.odmp.org/officer/11330-patrolman-anthony-n-rizzato

Yes, it was a very dangerous place.  Folks there would even fire their guns up into the air in celebration of New Years Eve.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

lordsutch

I think at the time that Cabrini-Green and Robert Taylor Homes and similar projects were being built around the country (and the world), well-meaning people believed they were improvements over the slums and tenement housing that they either indirectly or directly replaced. Clearly that wasn't borne out for a variety of reasons, some having to do with underinvestment in maintenance, some having to do with having a high concentration of people with low social capital and low socioeconomic status in one place which became easy prey for criminal activity from within and without, and some having to do with broader societal factors such as the relative decline in value of unskilled labor in society.

At least in terms of exterior appearance and crime rates, the mostly suburban-style affordable housing/mixed income developments that (along with the expansion of Section 8) have replaced projects seem to be more successful, but how much of that is due to just a more conscious effort to invest in capital improvements and a generally lower trend in criminal activity, and how much can be attributed to moving away from the brutalist-utopian vertical warehousing model, remains to be seen.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.