News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Improving NAFTA (my ideas)

Started by US 41, December 15, 2014, 10:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 41

This is a fictional idea so here it goes. The first thing I would do is not require Mexicans to have tourist visas to visit the US and Canada. The second thing I would do is allow Mexican car coverage to be legal in the US and Canada. The same goes for Canadian and US coverage being valid in Mexico. The third thing I would do is get rid of passports. A drivers license or photo ID would be good enough to get from one country to another as long as the ID was issued in the US, Canada, or Mexico. The fourth thing I would do is get rid of import permits and tourist cards in Mexico (or not require them for US and Canadian citizens). The fifth thing I would do is invite Greenland to join NAFTA since they have a lot of oil and are basically their own country. Greenland citizens would not need passports to travel to the US, Canada, or Mexico and vise versa, etc. Basically any country in NAFTA would fall under the first 4 steps. I would keep borders. Checking people is always a good idea, just to make sure thy aren't bringing anything they shouldn't be into your country. Anyone that doesn't live in one of the 3 (or 4) countries in NAFTA would have to provide passports before entering a NAFTA country. Also NAFTA citizens must work in their own countries unless they get a work visa. They would also require visas for stays longer than 180 days.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Alps

So your idea is that Mexico isn't full of crime and drugs, and has the same import control laws that we do, and that we can magically coerce insurance companies into believing this fantasy as well? And then we've just invited the entire EU to join us through Denmark?

And you still want borders?

I'm tempted to lock this thread just for the sheer inanity.

mtantillo

Ain't gunna happen.

Aside from the obvious...one of the reasons insurance is not valid across the US Mexican border is because they use a different legal system in Mexico. It is based on a presumption of guilt, and no jury trials. no thanks! Also, i would rather my insurance not cover Mexico because the risk and rates would go up substantially.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Alps on December 15, 2014, 10:35:41 PM
So your idea is that Mexico isn't full of crime and drugs, and has the same import control laws that we do, and that we can magically coerce insurance companies into believing this fantasy as well?

Steve, the primary reason that Mexico is so full of drugs is because of demand from the large nation across its northern border.

If the U.S. did not have a failed "War on Drugs" (and as I have said before, I have never used any illegal drug and have an especially strong dislike of marihuana), then Mexico would have less in the way of drug-related crime and corruption.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

US 41

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 15, 2014, 10:55:02 PM
So your idea is that Mexico isn't full of crime and drugs, and has the same import control laws that we do, and that we can magically coerce insurance companies into believing this fantasy as well?

Steve, the primary reason that Mexico is so full of drugs is because of demand from the large nation across its northern border.

If the U.S. did not have a failed "War on Drugs" (and as I have said before, I have never used any illegal drug and have an especially strong dislike of marihuana), then Mexico would have less in the way of drug-related crime and corruption.

I can't believe people are voting yes for recreational use of marijuana. It just shows what kind of country we live in now days.

NE2

Quote from: US 41 on December 15, 2014, 11:01:44 PM
I can't believe people are voting yes for recreational use of marijuana. It just shows what kind of country we live in now days.
If you don't like the country, get out.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Zeffy

If Big Tobacco didn't have so much money and lobbying power, I'm sure pot would be legalized and tobacco outlawed, especially since pot is safer (read: not fully safe) in comparison to tobacco. *

* Yes, I smoked pot for 2 years back in high school, and I would do it again if I had the money. Most of my other friends also smoked cigs, while I abstained fully from even breathing in that putrid smoke. I'm not a fan of not being able to do it legally from the confines of my own house or just on my porch without risking getting arrested. Besides, think of how much money that could be made by legalizing marijuana - I don't advocate legalizing meth or heroin or cocaine though, since those drugs are pretty fucking bad.

The only ones to gain from this war on drugs are the criminals. The whole enterprises street gangs run is practically based on drugs in the first place.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Zeffy on December 15, 2014, 11:51:03 PM

If Big Tobacco didn't have so much money and lobbying power, I'm sure pot would be legalized and tobacco outlawed, especially since pot is safer (read: not fully safe) in comparison to tobacco.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Big Tobacco is in a great position to become Big Weed.

jakeroot

Since we legalized the mary jane cigs in Washington, I've noticed a drop off in popularity, though I've noticed in increase in tourist interest (I work at a hotel and lots of guests are constantly searching for pot shops). I think when something becomes so hilariously easy to access, its popularity (particularly among youth) becomes less prevalent (since, among youth in particular, there isn't much of a reward for finding weed like there used to be).

US 41

So your idea is that Mexico isn't full of crime and drugs, and has the same import control laws that we do, and that we can magically coerce insurance companies into believing this fantasy as well? And then we've just invited the entire EU to join us through Denmark?

And you still want borders?

I'm tempted to lock this thread just for the sheer inanity.

While insurance may never be able to be merged I think the import laws should be done away with in both the US and Mexico. That isn't unreasonable. I think visa requirements for all 3 should be done away with. And you used to be able to cross the border with just a drivers license.

Dr Frankenstein

The WHTI (passport/passport card/EDL/KTN requirement) seems to me like it was a useless knee-jerk security-theatre reaction to 9/11 and could be done without. I'm not sure why they require a tourist visa for a neighbouring country like México.

Molandfreak

And your proposal is feasible without it? Your priorities are out of whack. :whip:
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

vdeane

My big beef with NAFTA is that it opened the border a lot for businesses but did nothing for people, and IMO PEOPLE are what matter, not business.  To that end, I would eliminate the border between the US and Canada and return the US/Mexico border to pre-9/11 conditions.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Dr Frankenstein

But government exists for businesses (except drugs, which must be fought mercilessly), not people (except terrorists, which must be fought mercilessly). Didn't you know that?

Plus, Canada is full of drugs and terrorists.

/s

mtantillo

Quote from: vdeane on December 16, 2014, 02:04:12 PM
My big beef with NAFTA is that it opened the border a lot for businesses but did nothing for people, and IMO PEOPLE are what matter, not business.  To that end, I would eliminate the border between the US and Canada and return the US/Mexico border to pre-9/11 conditions.

Yeah, agreed. I would have loved to see some more freedom of movement provisions, a-la the EU. I wouldn't mind working in Canada for a little bit, but it is not worth the hassle of getting a visa (TN or a normal visa).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.