News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Look and see what your state is worst at

Started by cjk374, December 19, 2014, 06:11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

Where the hell do these people come up with writing ideas like this....and where do they find the stats?

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/what-every-state-in-the-u-s-is-worst-at-105417305752.html?hp=1
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

jeffandnicole

They look around at other recent articles, spot something, and reprint it.

And that's what's wrong with today's media.  Doesn't matter how factually wrong something is - once it's printed, it's out there forever. 

vtk

I found there article entertaining. There's some good humor in there.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

roadman

Massachusetts should have been not "Worst at Happy Hour" but "Worst liquor sales regulations."  This is because, unlike other states, the number of liquor licenses a city or town can issue is arbitrarily capped by the state, and venues and stores can only accept a Massachusetts drivers license or state "liquor ID"as ID if a person is 25 or under.  And yes, they did ban happy hour many years ago as well.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Henry

I think the title "Most rail accidents" suits IL just fine because as a kid, I used to marvel at the many miles of railroads that serve the Chicago area, El Train, Amtrak and freight included. And "Worst roads" definitely fits the bill for MI, with the many cars that have been built there. Also, they got it right with CA having the "Most polluted cities", even if most people think the pollution only applies to Los Angeles and the surrounding cities. Although, I must say, I had to LOL when I read that my current home state, WA, is home to the people who are "Worst at loving Justin Bieber". Come on, he's from Canada, but I guess it's not all that surprising, given Seattle's longstanding rock heritage that runs the gamut from Jimi Hendrix to Pearl Jam. (And my daughter is over Bieber right now, having moved on to OneDirection.)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

pianocello

Quote from: Henry on December 19, 2014, 12:37:07 PM
I think the title "Most rail accidents" suits IL just fine

To be honest, I was surprised that this was Illinois's title and not "most likely to have a governor in jail" (or something else about its corrupt politics)
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

corco

Quote from: roadman on December 19, 2014, 10:53:58 AM
Massachusetts should have been not "Worst at Happy Hour" but "Worst liquor sales regulations."  This is because, unlike other states, the number of liquor licenses a city or town can issue is arbitrarily capped by the state, and venues and stores can only accept a Massachusetts drivers license or state "liquor ID"as ID if a person is 25 or under.  And yes, they did ban happy hour many years ago as well.
Utah

Thing 342

Quote from: pianocello on December 19, 2014, 03:27:52 PM
Quote from: Henry on December 19, 2014, 12:37:07 PM
I think the title "Most rail accidents" suits IL just fine

To be honest, I was surprised that this was Illinois's title and not "most likely to have a governor in jail" (or something else about its corrupt politics)

I believe that "honor" went to Georgia, with the "Least Integrity" title.

cjk374

There is such a wide variety of "worst at"...from bad roads & bridges, highest murder rate (hooray for my home state) to least furniture manufactured for Nebraska.  Really??  Is this all they could find to say bad about NE?  Or least visited state for North Dakota.  They started scraping the bottom of the barrel to find this information.  It's kinda funny, but kinda sad at the same time.

Be sure to click and read about what they thought were the best and worst flags of the 50 states located between Oregon and Pennsylvania.  It's just as entertaining.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Brian556

Texas- Road-Wise: Median Tip Making. Median tips have no delineators. Keep right signs are way more rare in Texas than many other states. TXDOT often fails to post them at the beginning of divided roadways.

Example #1:
FM 2499:https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.130463,-97.094223&spn=0.000009,0.006196&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=33.130586,-97.094249&panoid=Us93jxoiDPJ0zYq8I-Y6_A&cbp=12,183.18,,0,0

Example #2 (City Street)https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.144567,-97.047225&spn=0.000009,0.006196&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=33.144502,-97.047034&panoid=rSQx_ktksIooiLAP_6-HXA&cbp=12,131.06,,0,0

Both of these are temporary configurations and need KEEP RIGHT signs more than the typical location.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.