News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Businesses named for highways which no longer pass by the business

Started by DandyDan, March 03, 2013, 02:26:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DandyDan

A friend and I were driving around going from Omaha to his old hometown of Fremont tonight.  Anyway, we had to exit at the east Valley, NE exit to get gas and we just took old US 275 (Reichmuth Road) to get to Fremont from Valley.  Anyway, there is a business called 275 Storage in Valley on old US 275.  Later, we get to Fremont and go on old US 30, which has signage saying it is Business 30 and pass the 30 Bowl.

Anyway, I thought about it and I also remember driving past two other businesses which are named for highways which no longer pass by the business.  On US 59 in Oregon, Missouri, there is the 275 Grill, named presumably for US 275, which US 59 eventually took over and in Benson, Arizona, on business loop 10 on the east side of Benson, is (or was the day I went past it in 2009) Cafe 86, named for AZ 86, which only goes west from Tucson nowadays.

Just curious how many other businesses are like this (and whether the 30 Bowl mentioned above counts as such).  And do you actually use the services of such businesses?

I'm sure US 66 has countless businesses like this, so try to keep it to other highways.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Takumi

About 10 years ago in western Greensboro (near the airport) there was a "421 Self Storage" on Market Street, which was no longer US 421.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Big John

141 Speedway in Francis Creek, WI.  US 141 hadn't been that far south since 1980.

SP Cook

The Silver Bridge colapse deal led to the renaming of old WV 17 to US 35 in 1970.  The "17 Motel" remained open and called that until it went under a couple of years ago.

Not actually a business, but Charleston's Capitol Street is where the old Capitol was.  The one that burned down in 1921.

corco

There's a Highway 86 self storage on the east side of Willcox along I-10 Business. Highway 86 is the highway that used to serve that Benson->Lordsburg NM corrdior.

dfilpus

On US 12 in Warren MI, there is the 112 Bar. Presumably, it was named when Michigan Avenue was US 112. The original US 12 was turned into I 94 and US 112 became part of US 12.

bugo

There's a Route 66 Harley Davidson in Tulsa.  Problem that it isn't on old 66 and has never been on 66.  It's just off US 64/OK 51 (The BA.)

catch22

Quote from: dfilpus on March 03, 2013, 02:18:29 PM
On US 12 in Warren MI, there is the 112 Bar. Presumably, it was named when Michigan Avenue was US 112. The original US 12 was turned into I 94 and US 112 became part of US 12.

Wayne, not Warren.  One of my late father's watering holes.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=42.278769,-83.424613&spn=0.002433,0.006539&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=42.279023,-83.425123&panoid=2kRHjSTiz8EEuj_IvU3L_A&cbp=12,18.26,,0,0.55

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jp the roadgeek

There's a Deli 66 and Super 66 Liquors on CT 322 in Cheshire and Southington, CT respectively.  CT 322 was CT 66 until I-691 was completed back in 1988 and CT 66 was truncated to I-91 in Meriden.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

DTComposer

California: Along Saratoga-Sunnyvale Road, there was a "Hi-Way 9" auto repair well into the 1980s, when the route number had changed to 85 in the 1964 re-numbering (9 had been re-directed to Los Gatos). Then, 85 was moved onto the freeway in 1994, but I'm pretty sure the business was gone by then.

Not quite the same, but in Long Beach SoCal Edison has the "State Street Substation" even though it was re-named as part of Pacific Coast Highway in the 1940s.

KEVIN_224

@ JP THE ROADGEEK: The only Connecticut example I could find is the Route 72 Diner in East Berlin along CT Route 372. When the segment of the CT Route 9 expressway opened between the Berlin Turnpike (US 5/CT 15) and I-91 in Cromwell, the existing CT Route 72 by the diner was changed to the present CT Route 372. That had to be around 1989 or 1990.

Roadsguy

Could've sworn I caught a glimpse of "122 something..." on PA 61 somewhere north of Reading. Once, that was US 122.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Dr Frankenstein

I think there's a shop called "9C Cigarettes" in the Kahnawà:ke Indian Reserve, near Montreal.

The highway was renumbered to 132 in the '70s.

CNGL-Leudimin

Here is something different: A service area on Spanish A-23 is named Kilómetro 3, but nowadays is nowhere near a kmpost 3. However, it was correct back when the road was numbered C-136. In late 80s N-330 was realigned there, placing it at kmpost 574 for a couple decades. Meanwhile, in early noughties N-330 was upgraded to an expressway, and retained its number a couple years before it was renumbered to A-23. Finally, in 2008 a kmpost adjustement put the service area at its current kmpost 363.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

agentsteel53

there is a US-50 Motel in Tracy, CA.  I do not know if it is active, or if just the sign remains.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 06, 2013, 07:16:54 AM
Here is something different: A service area on Spanish A-23 is named Kilómetro 3, but nowadays is nowhere near a kmpost 3. However, it was correct back when the road was numbered C-136. In late 80s N-330 was realigned there, placing it at kmpost 574 for a couple decades. Meanwhile, in early noughties N-330 was upgraded to an expressway, and retained its number a couple years before it was renumbered to A-23. Finally, in 2008 a kmpost adjustement put the service area at its current kmpost 363.

Not quite the same, but the frontier checkpoint south of Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas, on highway 85 is known as Kilómetro 26.  Its location on the highway is approximately km-193.  It is, however, 26 kilometers south of the border, hence its name.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vtk

In near-northwest Columbus (almost Grandview Heights or Upper Arlington) there's a business called Fifth Avenue Florists.  It's at the intersection of Kenny Road and Kinnear Road.  (Sidebar: a blind friend of mine once thought those were slightly different pronunciations of the name of one road.)  Fifth Avenue (sidebar: used to be OH 31, and then maybe briefly US 33) is about a half mile south of there.  My guess is, at some point in the past, the business moved.

This might be the most ADD post, not counting those occasional crazy run-on Fictional Highways posts from authors who tend to get banned...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

jeffandnicole

While not a route number, The Circle Liquor Store in Somers Point, NJ used to border one of NJ's infamous circles.  Now it sits at a normal 4 way intersection.

NE2

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 06, 2013, 01:05:32 PM
While not a route number, The Circle Liquor Store in Somers Point, NJ used to border one of NJ's infamous circles.  Now it sits at a normal 4 way intersection.

Orlando, of all places, has one of these situations. Conway Circle was eliminated many years ago but the name lives on: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=28.480518,-81.327581&spn=0.008601,0.016512&gl=us&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=28.48051,-81.327708&panoid=D1WIgeQPcwaDJKBHGH5kWA&cbp=12,117.21,,2,-6.96
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

thenetwork

Route 8 through Cuyahoga Falls, OH has at least 2 business that include the Route 8 mention or shield along the original Route 8 alignment (Akron-Cleveland Road/State Road), despite being nearly 30+ years since Route 8 was actually there.

PAHighways

Spotlight 88 Drive-In (Beaver Falls) - named prior to PA 65 replacing PA 88 between Pittsburgh and New Castle

PHLBOS

Had MA been 100% successful in completely truncating MA 128 to I-95 in Peabody, the various 128 auto dealerships in Wakefield and the Route 128 Amtrak/MBTA Commuter Rail station in Westwood along would certainly fall in the thread category.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

thenetwork

While not neccessarily relatesd to a state route, I always found it amusing that the midwest chain of Speedway gas stations put a Speedway on Speedway Boulevard in Speedway, Indiana, Directly across from...the Indianapolis Motor Speedway!!!

civilmaher

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 06, 2013, 01:05:32 PM

I know of a few "circle" businesses that are no longer adjacent to traffic circles:

1. Lodi Circle Apartments: http://goo.gl/maps/Wyh09 - historic aerial: http://goo.gl/kHqyb

2. Circle 3 Farms: http://goo.gl/kULLH - historic aerial: http://goo.gl/kULLH

3. Circle Motor Lodge: http://goo.gl/maps/huF3m - historic aerial: http://goo.gl/ezDQG

I'm sure there's even more examples in NJ.
Opinions represent mine and no other organization that I am associated with.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.