News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Why was the Connecticut Turnpike built to Killingly?

Started by NE2, February 20, 2016, 01:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

The original 1950s plan for I-84 is the current alignment (northeast to I-90). In 1968, additional interstate mileage for a Hartford to Providence link was approved. The first working number for this link was Interstate 82. Shortly afterward the I-84 designation was shifted, creating I-86 in the northeast. In 1983, CT punted on I-84 to Providence, and in 1984, I-84 returned to its pre-1969 alignment, wiping out I-86.

In 1953 there were dotted-line long-range freeway proposals for US 6 and CT 12 in the Killingly area.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Pete from Boston

Quote from: DJStephens on February 26, 2016, 10:40:52 AM
Quote from: mariethefoxy on February 20, 2016, 02:29:14 PM
im surprised they didnt mirror the original CT 15 for the entire length, and have the CT Turnpike go to New Haven then turn north to Hartford then turn east to Sturbridge to pick up the Mass Pike which was also under construction at the time. Yea those later were built as other interstates but if i remember right the CT Turnpike was built before the interstate system like the other toll roads in the northeast.

Believe the Massachusetts Turnpike predated the 1956 authorization of the interstate system.   It most likely was built in sections starting in the late forties.  The extension into Boston was built in the mid sixties.

I can say it was the fifties (as confirmed downthread from your post) because my father enjoyed telling the story of sneaking on and driving the unopened road outside Worcester in those years.  Guess I know where I got the bug.

Beeper1

The MassPike has some small isolated sections in the Berkshires that were opened in the early 50s, but the majority of it opened in spring of 1957.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.