News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Sakonnet River Bridge (RI 24)

Started by Alex, August 14, 2012, 08:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on February 08, 2016, 04:02:39 PM
Sad. A responsible method to toll the bridge and fund improvements and it is removed for pure political purposes. I suppose raising the gas tax is out of question.
From the previous page in this thread (bold emphasis added):
Quote from: Beeper1 on June 26, 2014, 11:06:55 PM
The tolls for this bridge were officially discontinued this past Friday.  The state passed a new budget that eliminated the toll by increasing the gas tax 1 cent and channeling DMV and inspection fees to a new bridge and infrastructure fund

The Newport Bridge is once again the only toll facility in RI.

That said, the toll rates that were originally being proposed, especially for out-of-state drivers, were exorbitant.   

IMHO, RIBTA got a little too greedy (with the toll rates) and the public (thankfully) pushed back.

Had they proposed a more reasonable & modest toll rate for all drivers; such probably would've stuck.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

seicer

Thank you - I haven't been up with this project in well over a year and have forgotten about that.

Duke87

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 19, 2014, 09:06:25 PM
So, with the contract termination fee, the toll netted a $4.2 million loss. 

How long will it take to sell 420 million gallons of gas in Rhode Island to cover this mistake?

If we assume the average gasoline powered vehicle gets 25 MPG, and that all of the roughly 1 million residents of Rhode Island travel the national average per capita VMT of roughly 9500 miles each year, that gives us:

420,000,000 gallons / (1,000,000 people x 9500 mi/person-yr / 25 mi/gal) = 1.1 years.

Numbers are approximate but it looks like the answer is a reasonable timeframe.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Duke87 on February 09, 2016, 09:10:55 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 19, 2014, 09:06:25 PM
So, with the contract termination fee, the toll netted a $4.2 million loss. 

How long will it take to sell 420 million gallons of gas in Rhode Island to cover this mistake?

If we assume the average gasoline powered vehicle gets 25 MPG, and that all of the roughly 1 million residents of Rhode Island travel the national average per capita VMT of roughly 9500 miles each year, that gives us:

420,000,000 gallons / (1,000,000 people x 9500 mi/person-yr / 25 mi/gal) = 1.1 years.

Numbers are approximate but it looks like the answer is a reasonable timeframe.

You beat me in the not-lazy contest.  If the toll was intended to be permanent, however, there is a loss, as this pushes the start of actually paying for the bridge closer to the next maintenance milestone.

Was the gantry ever sold?

I have no real horse in the tolls vs. gas tax debate, but this all felt more reactionary than most toll issues.  I mean, this had to be one of the cheapest tolls ever collected. 

Dan

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 09, 2016, 09:45:15 PM
Was the gantry ever sold?
The gantry is still there and my money is betting that it will outlast the old bridge by years.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.