Abandoned project in the middle of Appalachia?

Started by billtm, June 23, 2014, 03:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billtm

I was tracking Ky-80 today and then I came across something odd... From the satellite imagery it looks like it will be or would have been a 4-lane highway.To find it search for Cedarville, KY in Google Maps. (That's what Google calls it. Not sure if a town by that name exists. Its not on the state map or Rand McNally.) Does anyone know what it was or will be? I at first thought it was the Coalfields expressway but that never will touch Kentucky. It appears to cross Ky-80 and follow John Moore Branch Road and Ky-1373/Beaver Creek Road. Rock appears to have been cut and 3 bridges appear to have been built. The 2 bridges in the far east appear to be relatively new. :confused:

briantroutman

Just an off-hand guess–it would appear to be a part of Kentucky's I-66. I don't know the current status of the project.

BrianP

billtm

Yeah, I think it is US 460. Thanks for the quick replies! :sombrero:

hbelkins

It is US 460/Appalachian Corridor Q. A number of us visited the site during the meet I hosted last fall.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Bitmapped

The new US 460 is actively under construction.

billtm

hbelkins

With notable exceptions in Kentucky and Tennessee, most of the Appalachian corridors have been built as four-lane highways.

Alps

Quote from: billtm on June 24, 2014, 01:48:46 PM
Is a four lane highway really necessary? :confused:
No. A Missouri Super-2 (one lane each way with an alternating central passing lane) would be plenty.

briantroutman

So is this US 460 bypass on a separate alignment than Kentucky's I-66 (when and if ever it would be built)?

bugo

Quote from: Alps on June 24, 2014, 10:50:55 PM
Quote from: billtm on June 24, 2014, 01:48:46 PM
Is a four lane highway really necessary? :confused:
No. A Missouri Super-2 (one lane each way with an alternating central passing lane) would be plenty.

You believe every 4 lane highway east of the Appalachians is overkill.  On the other hand, I think crowded freeways like in the northeast are dangerous deathtraps.

hbelkins

Quote from: briantroutman on June 24, 2014, 11:14:09 PM
So is this US 460 bypass on a separate alignment than Kentucky's I-66 (when and if ever it would be built)?

Yes. This is part of Corridor Q, which will run from Pikeville, Ky. to Grundy, Va. It's more of a north-south corridor, but it runs well west of the existing US 460.

I-66 will run east-west and will end up basically paralleling the four-lane US 119 (Corridor G) to the south.

billtm

Will this connect back to the current alignment of US 460 via the coalfields expressway (Future US 121)? Cause it seems that this follows Ky 80 way more than US 460.

Mapmikey

Quote from: billtm on June 25, 2014, 01:53:04 PM
Will this connect back to the current alignment of US 460 via the coalfields expressway (Future US 121)? Cause it seems that this follows Ky 80 way more than US 460.

See this: http://www.ctb.virginia.gov/resources/2014/may/pres/Presentation_Agenda_Item_3.pdf

Mapmikey

billtm

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 25, 2014, 01:59:31 PM
Quote from: billtm on June 25, 2014, 01:53:04 PM

See this: http://www.ctb.virginia.gov/resources/2014/may/pres/Presentation_Agenda_Item_3.pdf

Mapmikey

I understand everything now. :cool: Thanks!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.