News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

PA 28 Construction Updates

Started by PAHighways, November 03, 2009, 08:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAHighways

ARMOURERERIC

According to a thread at City Data, Rialto Street is to open Monday in both directions, the article mentions that it is a 28% grade.

KEVIN_224

I just checked out that street with Street View at Google Maps. How in the hell can a road that steep and that narrow be a 2-way street? The satellite view had the roadway marked as closed during the winter.

Mr_Northside

It's wide enough that it can be 2-way... but it is steep enough that they close it in the winter.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Mr_Northside

Not too many great vantage points for this year's round of Rt. 28 construction.  But I did check out the bike/ped overpass near the Heinz Plant for the first time.......

Looking northbound from the bike/pedestrian overpass.  They've been making steady progress.

Another view of the southern point of the widening project. 

A view of retaining wall progress.  The building and property in the foreground is what makes this section more difficult to get good vantage points. 
You can see at the far left where the wall surface is flat (instead of the fake block look) - there are a couple of these sections were art will go.

This is a display along the adjacent bike/hike trail near the Pittsburgh - Millvale border.  Thought it was interesting (with an old photo as well) enough to post.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Gnutella

Quote from: Mr_Northside on April 06, 2014, 09:25:57 PM
Not too many great vantage points for this year's round of Rt. 28 construction.  But I did check out the bike/ped overpass near the Heinz Plant for the first time.......

Looking northbound from the bike/pedestrian overpass.  They've been making steady progress.

Kind of a scuzzy-looking hillside neighborhood there. Looks like some of the windows are boarded up on those buildings. Not a very good scene upon entering the city, if you ask me. Seems like the North Side east of I-279 could use a pressure wash and a paintbrush.

JawnwoodS96

Quote from: Gnutella on April 07, 2014, 12:28:28 PMKind of a scuzzy-looking hillside neighborhood there. Looks like some of the windows are boarded up on those buildings. Not a very good scene upon entering the city, if you ask me. Seems like the North Side east of I-279 could use a pressure wash and a paintbrush.
Troy Hill isn't actually that bad, but it seems you get the worst of it next to the expressway.

Nice photos Mr_Northside, though I wish there were a way to get some better shots.
Major interstates driven: i64, i264(VA), i66, i68, i70, i270(DC & OH), i71, i74, i75, i275 (Cin), i76, i376, i476, i77, i79, i279, i579, i80, i480 (OH), i81, i83, i283, i85, i185(GA), i285, i485, i90, i95, i295(VA & NJ), i495, i695(MD), i99

Go Steelers, Pirates, and Penguins!

Mr_Northside

Inbound Route 28 to get new traffic pattern near 31st Street Bridge next week

This particular traffic pattern they're going to have might cause traffic to get a little shitty....

Mr_Northside

From the pedestrian bridge near the old Heinz Plant & Penn Brewery....

Looks like the stretch that has been concrete is getting replaced with concrete.  You can also note the split SB lanes for this phase of construction.

I'm wondering if the grade next (to the left) of the highway is for the sidewalk that starts at the 31st St. Bridge, since it looks like they're building a drainage channel right next to the road.

A view of the work looking south.  Nothing too remarkable to see though.

Mr_Northside

The widening/reconstruction of the final stretch continues.....

Looking Northbound...

Looking southbound...

Looking NB again, on the other side of the signs attached to the bike/ped bridge...

DeaconG

^^^That road is cleaning up very nice! Now that's a major improvement!
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Gnutella

Quote from: DeaconG on August 26, 2014, 05:47:43 PM

See? PennDOT isn't totally useless. :biggrin:

Honestly, it seems to me that it varies by district. I think District 11 is one of the best, and District 4 is one of the worst. District 12 is inconsistent. I'd rank them among the best if they got better at putting together signs.

LeftyJR

Quote from: Gnutella on August 27, 2014, 08:22:01 AM
Quote from: DeaconG on August 26, 2014, 05:47:43 PM

See? PennDOT isn't totally useless. :biggrin:

Honestly, it seems to me that it varies by district. I think District 11 is one of the best, and District 4 is one of the worst. District 12 is inconsistent. I'd rank them among the best if they got better at putting together signs.

I think district 2 does a nice job as well...  OK, back on topic.

02 Park Ave

Will there be any extention of PA-28 soon.
C-o-H

LeftyJR

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on September 11, 2014, 05:08:56 PM
Will there be any extention of PA-28 soon.

PA 28 was planned (in the 70s) to connect Pittsburgh with I-80 to the northeast, but funding cuts prevented it.  I'd love to see it happen, even as a toll road, because I travel that area frequently and it would save a bit of time.  Only 1 town would have to be bypassed (New Bethlehem).  Needless to say, this won't happen.  In the last 5 years or so PennDOT has added two sets of passing lanes on the two lane portion between Kittanning and New Bethlehem, which has prevented some truck log-jams in that area.

Mr_Northside

For some reason, they're busting up a ~2½ year old jersey barrier at the SB off-ramp to the 40th St. Bridge.  I haven't read anything about it, so I can only speculate they're making the "weave area" with the ramp coming up from Millvale longer.  But we shall see.....

It looks like they've put up a temporary barrier next to the one they're ripping up.

And I'd guess the slabs with an "X" on them are also getting torn down.

Mr_Northside

A report on the final bits of the Route 28 project:
Rebuilding of Route 28 finally nears completion

Fixed URL link text. - rmf67

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Mr_Northside on October 23, 2014, 05:15:42 PM
A report on the final bits of the Route 28 project:
Rebuilding of Route 28 finally nears completion

I'm amazed they keep calling the 31st Street Bridge as 'William Raymond Prom Memorial Bridge' in the article.  PennDOT has all signs still calling it the 31st Street Bridge on PA-28 as of 10/6.  And I honestly doubt that many, if any, Pittsburgher's will call it that and keep calling it the 31st Street Bridge.

Mr_Northside

As far as I can tell, it's really only that Post-Gazette reporter that tries to adhere to the "new name".  Everywhere else I see/hear/read they stick to 31st St. Bridge. 

The re-naming of the "Sister Bridges" has actually has been fairly widely adopted over the years (6th St -> Clemente, 7th st -> Warhol, 9th St -> Rachel Carson), but I have my doubts that the "31st St. Bridge" will be going away anytime soon, if at all.

DeaconG

Freewayjim just did a video traveling down PA 28 which includes the construction area:

http://youtu.be/W3xI5Y8eRk4
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Hoss6884 on November 17, 2014, 01:11:23 PM
After six years, Route 28 reconstruction project ends (Pittsburgh Post-Gazette)

About time. :)  Too bad my dad couldn't be here to see it as he always complained about it.

Anyways, next up on PA-28, a 2nd outbound (northbound) lane at the Highland Park Bridge!!!
QuoteAlthough drivers will get a pause from construction for several years, PennDOT is beginning engineering work on what is likely the next project on Route 28: creation of a second outbound through lane at the Highland Park Bridge along with a free-flowing on-ramp from the bridge, Mr. Cessna said. The department also recognizes the need to improve the inbound side where through traffic is pinched to a single lane, he said.

Mr_Northside

http://triblive.com/local/valleynewsdispatch/11477768-74/bridge-project-route

Apparently design work has been going on since 2015 for improvements @ the Highland Park Bridge.
They'd like to start actual construction in 2019, but admit money (as usual) could be a major hindrance.

Mr_Northside

PennDOT to share Route 28 plans with public

Meeting about plans to work on the Highland Park Bridge interchange.  I'm sure I won't attend, but I'm certainly curious as to what exactly they think they will do to achieve 2 thru lanes in each direction.

Bitmapped

Quote from: Mr_Northside on December 04, 2017, 02:49:49 PM
PennDOT to share Route 28 plans with public

Meeting about plans to work on the Highland Park Bridge interchange.  I'm sure I won't attend, but I'm certainly curious as to what exactly they think they will do to achieve 2 thru lanes in each direction.

This project is badly needed. There might be some takings required along 5th Street in Aspinwall, but I don't think it would be that bad to construct some retaining walls so they could add deceleration/acceleration lanes. I can't imagine PennDOT is going to do anything about the left side entrances/exits in this project.

I do hope they do something about the short weaves along the ramps between PA 28 and Freeport Road. Extending the right lane past the split in each direction would help.

Mr_Northside

PennDOT has a 5-6 minute presentation available for the Highland Park Bridge interchange project:

https://youtu.be/e7PvuS9Iqjs

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.