US 60 and US 431 in Owensboro, KY

Started by hbelkins, May 20, 2011, 08:44:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Last year, the city of Owensboro wanted to take over US 60 inside the city, between the two ends of the bypass, so Kentucky petitioned AASHTO to remove that portion of US 60 and to eliminate the "By-Pass" banner on the beltway. Because of this, US 431 had to be truncated at the bypass so as to end at a US highway. The 2011 Kentucky official map indicates these changes in the Owensboro inset.

I was able to check this out last week. US 60 signage has changed to indicate that it turns onto the bypass, and all the "By-Pass" banners have been removed. There are a few residual US 60 and US 431 signs left inside the beltway, but those are apparently remnants that the city or KYTC has not yet gotten to.

There is no indication that US 431 ends at the bypass, but then again, that wouldn't be expected for Kentucky, as "End" signage is very rare in this state.

As an aside, I recently learned that when the US 231 bridge was built upstream of Owensboro and 231 was routed off the blue bridge downtown and onto the new alignment, Kentucky wanted to extend US 431 across that bridge and into Indiana to meet up with and end at the new US 231 alignment. However, Indiana was not receptive to that idea so the Kentucky part was renumbered KY 2155 (and is to be renumbered yet again) and Indiana renumbered the route as IN 161.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alex

When I was trying to find info on the Natcher Parkway extension, instead I found an article on an extension of the Owensboro bypass of US 60 through to KY-2830:

QuoteU.S. 60 East Extension

Plans are underway for a new 3.4-mile U.S. 60 bypass extension on Owensboro's east side that will run from the bypass intersection with Kentucky 54 to U.S. 60 near the Hawesway Truck Stop and Kentucky 2830.

The nearly $75 million extension is being funded by the federal and state government. Since significant federal money has been allocated to the project, this helps insure that it will continue despite very limited state funding for transportation projects.

The bypass extension is important because it will tie into the new U.S. 60 that leads to the Natcher Bridge. That will allow for a significant new route through Daviess County between I-64 to the north and I-65 to the south.

Construction on the east end of the bypass is expected to begin in 2008 with the entire project completed in 2011, which is the same time the new U.S. 231 should be done.

Schematic (25 MB): http://gotransportation.net/documents/20051208_Aerial%20Exhibit.pdf

hbelkins

I noticed the construction progress of this new route. Grade and bridges are both progressing nicely. You can see most of the new route from existing US 60, in some cases it parallels it directly adjacent. It will also give access to a new hospital on the east side of Owensboro.

Stephane Dumas

I dust-off the subject, how's the construction going for US-60/US-231 in Owensboro?  I saw from Google Streetview where the new alignment will reach the old one http://goo.gl/maps/gCiVk and the KY-144 interchange taken in August 2012.

Captain Jack

Quote from: hbelkins on May 20, 2011, 08:44:19 AM
As an aside, I recently learned that when the US 231 bridge was built upstream of Owensboro and 231 was routed off the blue bridge downtown and onto the new alignment, Kentucky wanted to extend US 431 across that bridge and into Indiana to meet up with and end at the new US 231 alignment. However, Indiana was not receptive to that idea so the Kentucky part was renumbered KY 2155 (and is to be renumbered yet again) and Indiana renumbered the route as IN 161.

This may be common knowledge, but why would Indiana object to such a plan? I know they have mileage caps for some reason, but wouldn't there be some extra federal funds for a US Highway?

NE2

Quote from: Captain Jack on February 03, 2014, 08:06:15 AM
wouldn't there be some extra federal funds for a US Highway?
No. Not even for Interstates anymore.

But it has nothing to do with mileage caps, since SR 161 still exists.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on February 02, 2014, 09:52:43 PM
I dust-off the subject, how's the construction going for US-60/US-231 in Owensboro?  I saw from Google Streetview where the new alignment will reach the old one http://goo.gl/maps/gCiVk and the KY-144 interchange taken in August 2012.

I think it will open this year, but I'm not positive.

Quote from: Captain Jack on February 03, 2014, 08:06:15 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 20, 2011, 08:44:19 AM

This may be common knowledge, but why would Indiana object to such a plan? I know they have mileage caps for some reason, but wouldn't there be some extra federal funds for a US Highway?

I never heard why Indiana would object. It's not like they have an important route numbered 431 in Indianapolis anymore that would have to be renumbered.  :bigass:

jnewkirk77

There was just an article on this last week in the Messenger-Inquirer. The contractor has most of the new route in pavement up to the base asphalt layer, with just the connections to US 60 at the KY 2830 junction and KY 54 interchange to build, which will apparently take most of this year.  (Given our recent run of horrible, awful, rotten, disgusting winter weather, I can understand that.)  After that, they will spend 2015 tying up the loose ends of the abandoned route (connections at KY 144 and KY 603).

I'm not sure if it's still in the works, but the city of Owensboro had planned to take over one set of lanes of the "bypassed bypass" to extend the David C. Adkisson Greenbelt from KY 54 north to 4th Street (former US 60), as KY 603 (a/k/a the "Pleasant Valley Connector") will only use one set, not both.  City leaders said KYTC liked the idea because it saved them the $$$ of having to demolish the lanes they were no longer going to use, which aren't really that old to begin with (they were rebuilt in the last decade, IIRC).

tdindy88

Quote from: hbelkins on February 03, 2014, 12:49:23 PM
As an aside, I recently learned that when the US 231 bridge was built upstream of Owensboro and 231 was routed off the blue bridge downtown and onto the new alignment, Kentucky wanted to extend US 431 across that bridge and into Indiana to meet up with and end at the new US 231 alignment. However, Indiana was not receptive to that idea so the Kentucky part was renumbered KY 2155
I never heard why Indiana would object. It's not like they have an important route numbered 431 in Indianapolis anymore that would have to be renumbered.  :bigass:

SR 431 was still alive an kicking when the new US 231 bridge was built, maybe a reason they decided not to extend 431 north of Owensboro. Not that it has ever stopped Indiana from having duplicate numbered highways before...COUGH....64,65,69...COUGH.

Curious for any of those more familar with the area. I have been wondering about this project and was actually a little surprised that it is still being worked on. But was there/or is there, any idea of making US 231 like a freeway all the way north to the bridge. I understand the bridge probably isn't freeway-standard, but maybe having an exit for US 60 south of there, to make it freeway-like all the way to the bridge. And no I'm not talking about turning it into I-73.

Captain Jack

There is a group trying to create I-67, which would run from Washington, IN to Bowling Green, KY. I think it is still at a grassroots level, but that route would use the new bridge.

Personally, I see no use of an I-67. I can't imagine anybody going to points north on I-69 like Indy, would use this route from Bowling Green instead of I-65. Now I do think a 3-di of either 64 or 65, and linking Bowling Green to I-64 might have some merit. It would provide Owensboro with a good interstate connection, and could serve traffic from Bowling Green and Southern KY to points west such as St. Louis.

hbelkins

Quote from: Captain Jack on February 05, 2014, 01:07:44 AM
Personally, I see no use of an I-67.

I'm a firm believer in putting interstate numbers on freeways that substantially meet standards and to the average traveler are indistinguishable from any other freeway -- the example I always use is that if a passenger in a vehicle traveling north on I-65 near Glendale or Upton, Ky., goes to sleep and wakes up near Bardstown on the Bluegrass Parkway, he or she will have no idea they're no longer on an interstate -- but I don't think there needs to be an interstate link everywhere. I contend that routes like US 23 through Virginia and Kentucky, and US 31 from Indy to South Bend, are perfectly fine the way they are and they don't need to be converted to interstates. A four-lane arterial with a stoplight every now and then is not the end of the world.

andy

Quote from: Captain Jack on February 05, 2014, 01:07:44 AM
There is a group trying to create I-67, which would run from Washington, IN to Bowling Green, KY. I think it is still at a grassroots level, but that route would use the new bridge.

Personally, I see no use of an I-67. I can't imagine anybody going to points north on I-69 like Indy, would use this route from Bowling Green instead of I-65. Now I do think a 3-di of either 64 or 65, and linking Bowling Green to I-64 might have some merit. It would provide Owensboro with a good interstate connection, and could serve traffic from Bowling Green and Southern KY to points west such as St. Louis.

Forgive me for repeating what has been said on other threads, but most of that group really wants a modern bypass around Jasper, IN.  And, yes, this route will not improve much for those going north from KY, because US231 has already been improved to I-64.

Also, it looks to me like anyone from Bowling Green really wanting to avoid I-65 in Louisville will probably be served about as well by I-69 through Evansville, when it is finished.  And then again, maybe the new bridges in Louisville will make that point moot.

jnewkirk77

Quote from: tdindy88 on February 04, 2014, 07:14:43 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 03, 2014, 12:49:23 PM
As an aside, I recently learned that when the US 231 bridge was built upstream of Owensboro and 231 was routed off the blue bridge downtown and onto the new alignment, Kentucky wanted to extend US 431 across that bridge and into Indiana to meet up with and end at the new US 231 alignment. However, Indiana was not receptive to that idea so the Kentucky part was renumbered KY 2155

SR 431 was still alive an kicking when the new US 231 bridge was built, maybe a reason they decided not to extend 431 north of Owensboro. Not that it has ever stopped Indiana from having duplicate numbered highways before...COUGH....64,65,69...COUGH.

Curious for any of those more familar with the area. I have been wondering about this project and was actually a little surprised that it is still being worked on. But was there/or is there, any idea of making US 231 like a freeway all the way north to the bridge. I understand the bridge probably isn't freeway-standard, but maybe having an exit for US 60 south of there, to make it freeway-like all the way to the bridge. And no I'm not talking about turning it into I-73.

It will be freeway until you get to KY 2830 northeast of Owensboro.  I know there are interchanges at Pleasant Valley Rd. (New hospital access) and KY 144. Once you get to the existing 4-lane, there are only a few at-grade intersections, none of which get a ton of traffic except at the 60 turnoff at Maceo. That one has a light, and I believe it will remain the only light on there.

As far as the timetable, I've no clue why it's taken this long. They've really not been in much of a hurry,. :-\

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.