News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Favorite/Least Favorite Roads--Ohio Valley Edition

Started by amroad17, September 14, 2012, 04:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amroad17

Since other threads have this, I might as well have one here.

Favorite:

OH 32 from Batavia to Belpre--four lanes divided and not a lot of traffic
US 35 from Xenia, OH to south of Point Pleasant, WV--freeway/expressway and no traffic lights
I-64 from East St. Louis, IL to Charleston, WV
US 50 from Belpre, OH to Clarksburg, WV
KY 9 (AA Highway)
KY 1973 from I-75 to US 60 near Lexington, KY--many, many horse farms to see

Least favorite:

I-75 from Walton, KY through Cincinnati to Vandalia, OH--a pain to drive when dealing with the idiot persuasion
I-70 from Washington, PA to New Stanton, PA--an old ugly, ugly freeway
KY 4 (New Circle Rd.)--feel claustrophobic around the east and south side of Lexington with the traffic lights and businesses
US 62 from I-64 to Versailles, KY--could they have made the road any narrower?
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

NWI_Irish96

Favorite:

IN135 between Brownstown and Morgantown--very scenic

Least favorite:

I-65 between Greenwood, IN and Sellersburg, IN--It's only two lanes each direction and always full of trucks passing each other
IN 111 between New Albany and Elizabeth--Very dangerous due to lots of drunks leaving the Horseshoe
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

silverback1065

favorite so far us 421 from greensburg to madison indiana don't have a least favorite yet

tdindy88

US 421 for the first few miles north of Madison alone makes it a favorite. For me, anything along the Ohio River Scenic Route constitutes a most favorite. I-64 too is a nice drive from Spencer County east to Louisville. I would also add that most of SR 135 south of Morgantown has a nice scenic quality. Even I-69 will finally get a nice scenic section from US 231 east to SR 37.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ShawnP

IN 111- For previous mentioned reasons.

IN 62- West of Corydon is very pretty with lots of foliage in October and river views from the cliffs of Leavenworth.

I-71 from Louisville to Cincinnati with poor pavement and in need of a six lanes.

SSF

There aint really any great roads in east-central Illinois where I grew up.  All of them are quite boring drives through farmland.  Primarily talking about IL 133, IL 16, IL 1 and US 150 through Edgar County; even US-40 through that area is pretty boring.

hbelkins

I would be hard-pressed to name a favorite road because I've driven so many of them so often, although "Death Hill" on northbound I-71/75 approaching the river is cool when traffic is flowing because of the views afforded of downtown Cincinnati.

I also like Corridor H, but most of it is in the Mid-Atlantic section of the forum. The views approaching Elkins as you head east are quite pretty.

Dislikes include pretty much all the interstates in Kentucky (because I've driven them so many times) and I-79 in West Virginia (ditto). Plus any interstate in Ohio because the pavement is generally rougher than the proverbial cob.

In fact, because I'm so familiar with so many of these roads, familiarity breeds contempt.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vtk

Favorite: the hilly 65 MPH portions of US 33 around Lancaster and Logan (and next year, probably Nelsonville as well).

Antifavorite: US 23 from I-270 near Worthington to OH 229 near Norton.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Mike_OH

Favorites:

I-71 southbound from Taft Rd to Lytle Tunnel in Cincinnati because of the great view of Downtown Cincinnati.  It looks like you're going to drive right into the buildings.  Best view of the city from any expressway. 

I-71 in both directions from I-75 to OH 562 in Cincinnati, quicker than I-75 during non-rush hours.

Least Favorites:

OH 32 between Batavia and Peebles.  Expressway speed limits, but too many traffic lights.  And if you try to cross the road or turn left when there isn't a traffic light, you better pray first.

US 52 from New Richmond to Portsmouth.  Two lanes most of the way, and a lot of curves.  A poor alternative to OH 32.

theline

Quote from: cabiness42 on September 14, 2012, 08:07:49 AM

Least favorite:

I-65 between Greenwood, IN and Sellersburg, IN--It's only two lanes each direction and always full of trucks passing each other

Least favorite: 1-70 from Indy to Terre Haute, for the same reason that cabiness42 objects to I-65. In addition, several construction zones have made it intolerable lately.

Favorite: US-40 from Indy to Terre Haute, as a great alternative to I-70, at least in the nighttime when I've been through. Don't tell anybody though or the trucks will go there. ;-)

amroad17

Quote from: Mike_OH on October 22, 2012, 10:31:02 PM
Favorites:

I-71 southbound from Taft Rd to Lytle Tunnel in Cincinnati because of the great view of Downtown Cincinnati.  It looks like you're going to drive right into the buildings.  Best view of the city from any expressway. 

I-71 in both directions from I-75 to OH 562 in Cincinnati, quicker than I-75 during non-rush hours.

Least Favorites:

OH 32 between Batavia and Peebles.  Expressway speed limits, but too many traffic lights.  And if you try to cross the road or turn left when there isn't a traffic light, you better pray first.

US 52 from New Richmond to Portsmouth.  Two lanes most of the way, and a lot of curves.  A poor alternative to OH 32.
You are right about I-71, especially at night for the view.  Just like going down "Death Hill" on I-71/75 in KY at night.

As far as OH 32, I don't mind the lights as they are only at the important intersections.  In fact, before most of the traffic lights went up, I came upon a two vehicle wreck in Seaman at the OH 32/OH 247 intersection where a log truck hit a car and a 60ish woman who was driving the car died at the scene.

There have been times where if I picked a load up on the north side of Cincinnati and had to go to Virginia or North Carolina, I would go up I-71 to US 35 in Jeffersonville and go to Charleston that way.  It's only five miles further than taking I-275 to OH 32 to US 35 in Jackson (US 35--another one of my favorite roads).

wphiii

I always enjoy driving WV 2 if I'm not in a hurry.

Mamba205

Quote from: theline on October 23, 2012, 12:43:50 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on September 14, 2012, 08:07:49 AM

Least favorite:

Least favorite: 1-70 from Indy to Terre Haute, for the same reason that cabiness42 objects to I-65. In addition, several construction zones have made it intolerable lately.

Favorite: US-40 from Indy to Terre Haute, as a great alternative to I-70, at least in the nighttime when I've been through. Don't tell anybody though or the trucks will go there. ;-)

I-70 across all of Indiana is one of my favorite stretches of highways. The concrete pavement ~300 feet before and after the overpasses has drainage grooves in it that causes tires to produce a very unique sound. Other than that, the asphalt is quite bumpy and needs resurfacing.

ShawnP

I like I-71/75 coming down the hill looking into the Cincy skyline. Very impressive if you see it for the first time. Plus being a Reds fan it means BRATS time at GABP.

amroad17

It was impressive the first few times after I moved here in Northern Kentucky.  It still looks great but one gets used to it after a while.

kphoger

Southern Illinois favorites

Farmland beauty:
IL-1 between Ridgway and Norris City, especially when the milo is in full color
Old Fairfield Road between Bluford and Mount Vernon

River-area drives:
IL-1 between Grayville and Mount Carmel
Tick Ridge Road between Joppa and Grand Chain
IL-3 between Ware and Chester

Forest beauty:
US-45 between Vienna and IL-169
IL-146 between Vienna and Golconda
IL-34 between Galatia and Thompsonville

Bridges:
Route 161 Extension between Xenia Road and Iuka Road
US-45 between Brookport and Paducah (KY)
MO-51 between Chester (IL) and, well, Missouri
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.