News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Ashland and ancillary activities, Day One (Thursday)

Started by brianreynolds, April 10, 2013, 10:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianreynolds

Sam Scholtens and I live less than 15 miles apart, so it was too obvious that we should travel together to the Tri-State meet in Ashland.  We also share some common goals, like visiting counties.  These days, I have to travel a long way from home to encounter a new county.  Not so with Sam. 

We left rural Middleville MI at about 10:15 or so, headed south through Marshall, Litchfield and Allen on our way to the tri-point common to Michigan, Ohio and Indiana.  This spot is a worthy destination, but it is possible to see all there is to see, and take an overabundance of photos, in 10 minutes or so.  And so we did.

A few minutes away in suburban Montpelier OH (Holiday City, to be exact) we stopped to visit with fellow RoadOCD Enthusiast Michael Gronseth.  The Ramada (nee Holiday) Inn there is Michael's current temporary home, but he may be headed back to the homeland (Michigan) soon.  We lunched at a better-than-average Chinese buffet in Bryan, and had a couple hours of good conversation.

From there, south on OH-15 and OH-66 to the old Lincoln Highway near Delphos, then east on the old road to Beaverdam.  Not much in the way of traces of the road of yesteryear on this stretch.

Took a chance on the county highway southeast out of Beaverdam.  Not too bad.  A few four-way stops along the way.   The road got narrower and less well marked as we traveled south.  Connected with OH-117, then on to Bellefontaine.  I'm glad I looked this up on Wiki-whatever.  The name of the city is pronounced Bell-Fountain.  Sounds like any residual French influence was discarded long ago.

We didn't really get into the city proper, skirting the town via US-33.  Just east of town is the geographic claim to fame.   On the grounds of an occupational training facility (formerly a Federal something-of-importance) is the high point in the great State of Ohio.  We came, we saw, we conquered.  Much like the tri-point, it is possible to absorb the entire experience (including photos) in a short few minutes.  Does anybody need a certificate that they have visited this particular high-point?  I have an extra.

US-68 to Springfield, a short 3-mile hop on I-70 (the only Interstate in Michigan or Ohio for the day) to OH-72, south to US-35.  We were losing our daylight at this point, and it was hours since our Chinese fill-up. In desperation, we stopped at the Golden Arches in Washington Court House.  US-35 and US-23 into Kentucky, US-23, KY-67, I-64 to the far suburbs of Ashland and our hotel.

Lights out by midnight, a good night's rest in anticipation of a full day of RoadOCD fun in the morning.

hbelkins

Quote from: brianreynolds on April 10, 2013, 10:06:23 PM
US-23, KY-67, I-64 to the far suburbs of Ashland and our hotel.

Interesting choice of routing to get to your motel. Were you trying to avoid the traffic light hell that is 13th Street (US 60) heading out of Ashland toward where you stayed?

For the record, I really like KY 67, the Industrial Parkway. Since it opened, I have used it reasonably often en route to or from Columbus. Being able to use it to connect to US 23 makes that route optimal for me, instead of having to go west to Lexington and then fight Cincinnati traffic.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

brianreynolds

Quote from: hbelkins on April 11, 2013, 10:11:20 PM
Quote from: brianreynolds on April 10, 2013, 10:06:23 PM
US-23, KY-67, I-64 to the far suburbs of Ashland and our hotel.

Interesting choice of routing to get to your motel. Were you trying to avoid the traffic light hell that is 13th Street (US 60) heading out of Ashland toward where you stayed?

Sort of.  I didn't know anything specifically about 13th Street and the multitude of signals,  But I knew enough about the Ashland area to know that the motel was close to I-64, but not very close to Ashland proper.  On US-23 southbound approaching KY-67, there is an advisory sign "TO I-64".  I knew that my friends at the KYTC would not offer bad advice, so I took it. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.