News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US Highway Routings in Nashville Prior to Early 1960s

Started by Mapmikey, April 09, 2024, 08:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

I've been looking to wrap up the US routes at the Tennessee Highways Annex.  I have discovered most of my Nashville descriptions are incorrect based on photos (some of which kinda contradict each other plus i think they made several changes in a short timeframe).

Does anyone have or know where any online maps of Nashville that show downtown in detail with route shields?  Esso (standard draft) and Gulf definitely had fold up maps of just Nashville.  Gousha has other cities for sure (like Cincinnati).  Most interested in 1955-63 but earlier would be of some benefit.

For example, it appears 31E-31W were co-posted to the US 31-70 jct.  After the Robertson Pkwy opened, only 41A was put on it, then only 31W-431 were added, then by 1967 31 was extended over it.

31E-31W-41, 3rd at Union

31E, 41 and 431 appeared to have used US 70 to 1st north to Woodland for a period.

This 1957 photo shows 31E, 41A an 70N on Broadway at 4th.  I believe this is 31E south, 41A north and 70N west.

70N-70S were co-posted when 70N existed up through 1962.  31 and 31A were co-posted to US 70.

Then later, 31W-41-431 are posted at Broadway at 1st

Zero Official maps or commercial maps of the state show any shields downtown.  Topo maps show some, but show things I'm pretty sure did not happen...

Alex

Looking through my map inventory spreadsheet, I have several maps and atlases within the 1955-63 time frame and earlier. Went ahead and scanned several for you. Hopefully there will be something here of benefit to your research. Will start with the oldest, an inset from the 1941 RM Atlas:

The 1946 RM Atlas shows U.S. 41 ALT. It dropped SR 1, SR 6, SR 11, SR 24 and SR 112 from the labeling:

Alex

An inset from a 1947 KY/TN fold map:

The Nashville inset on the 1953 RM shows U.S. 31 ALT while dropping SR 12 and SR 100:

Alex

The oldest fold map I have of Nashville is from 1954 from Ashburn Maps. There's an inset showing all of Davidson County on the back side (see the next post for the front):

The Nashville inset from a 1961 KY/TN map by General Drafting:

Alex

The front side of the 1954 fold map of Nashville from Ashburn Maps (linked to the full sized composition of multiple scans):

I also have 1959 and 1961 Gousha road atlases, but neither has insets for Nashville.

Mapmikey

I thank you kindly for the effort.  Some of the early maps help confirm/clarify some things.  But as it gets later, one cannot infer where the routings are given the photo evidence and the lack of shields on the maps.  Some of the photos I believe would have TO banners if they had been taken in the modern era.

Below is 1956.  This is 1960.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.